PDA

View Full Version : How to start a "Group-Think Story" Game?

Cornelius Gault
01-06-2013, 06:03 AM
I have an idea for a group-writing game, but I'm not sure how to do it (protocols, etc). Here are the proposed rules:

1. The first post contains a numbered outline of a story, genre, any up-front "rules" to be adhered to.
2. Each poster responds to the last post in the list, striking out one numbered sentence in the post, replacing the one sentence with two sentences that improve on the original, while keeping the overall story correct. Each sentence is on a separate line to simplify editing.
3. The next poster continues and the story continuously expands.
4. Characters, places, etc, can be introduced, as long as the story remains coherent. For instance, do not add something that causes a conflict in the story, such as a man suddenly changing to a woman, etc.
5. From time to time, the original poster may do a mass edit of the story

I was thinking about starting this in the Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits group - would that be the best place for it? Or perhaps a different thread in different genres?

What do you think? I would like to start the idea if people would join in (I hope this hasn't already been done).

Booker
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Welcome to AW

but we've already got A new sentence game (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7770555&postcount=1)

jvc
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm going to port this over to Writing Exercises forum. The regulars over there will be able to tell you if this has been done before or not. I wouldn't start a new thread in the different genres forums , just leave the one in Writing Exercises. Although you could PM each of the mods of those forums to double check if you wanted.

Cornelius Gault
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I saw the other game you mentioned, but I thought my idea was quite different.

I would like advice on tweaking the rules to keep the story from getting too large and/or out of control.

Cornelius Gault
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
(I will start this in a new thread as this one is hosed)