PDA

View Full Version : Question re: profanity (warning, obviously)

Parkinsonsd
01-06-2013, 02:49 AM
I've got a guy on a rant in my wip. He's repeating "God damn" a lot. Does anyone know the proper usage for "God damn"?

Is God capitalized? is it one word or two, is it damn or damned? The ranter is yelling at a second character along the following lines:

"Don't you talk back to me, God damn it! Get your God damned ass out of my office!"

Maryn
01-06-2013, 02:51 AM
I'd be writing it exactly as you have. There may be a house style which lower-cases God, or joins words into godammit, but what you've got now is what I'd consider the most classic form of the term.

Maryn, getting her God damned ass out of your thread, tee-hee

Parkinsonsd
01-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks.

lbender
01-06-2013, 04:28 AM
I've seen it spelled several ways, including 'Goddamn' and 'goddamn', as one word or two. I don't know that it would bother me to see it either way.

Good luck.

Michael Davis
01-07-2013, 09:08 AM
With my publisher any use of the big guy is capitalized. Also consider, any over use of a sensitive word loses its intended affect. Also consider the populace the character comes from. Each group has different words they tolerant IMO.

Chasing the Horizon
01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't think 'god' should be capitalized unless the narrator/POV character believes in a single deity named God, which would make it a proper name. Otherwise it's a concept, and we don't capitalize concepts like physics or magic, so why capitalize god?

shadowwalker
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I think the phrase itself indicates belief. Otherwise it doesn't make much sense - "Something I don't believe in will damn you!". ;)

That said, I've usually seen it written either "God damn" or "goddamn". I'd say just be consistent.

Parkinsonsd
01-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.