Previous Agent?

Mike_Gasaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gasmangroup.com
I have a very weird predicament where I had an agent who was said to be a "literary" agent but represented mostly directors and actors. He represented me for about 2 years and didn't do much.

The question I have is do I include this fact in my query? I know the question sounds odd but I'm not sure what to do...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to mention him.
Did he do anything with the work you are currently querying?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have to mention your former agent eventually - and before you accept representation - but I'm not sure it needs to go in the query if he never shopped the book to anyone. However, if he actually shopped the book around, you need to tell the agent up front, in my opinion. Or at least when the agent requests a partial/full - it's only fair in that some agents will not be interested in a shopped manuscript, so you are wasting their time if you don't mention it.

And if you don't know if/where it has been shopped, you need to either get that info from the former agent or be upfront with prospective agents that you don't believe it has been shopped but the agent is not responding to inquiries about whether it has or where....

~suki

Mike_Gasaway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gasmangroup.com
He never shopped the book and definitely never did anything literary related. He sent me on "job interviews" for various movie and television projects. The relationship ended when I had to move away from the west coast and any jobs that were there...

Does it still sound note-worthy?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
He never shopped the book and definitely never did anything literary related. He sent me on "job interviews" for various movie and television projects. The relationship ended when I had to move away from the west coast and any jobs that were there...

Does it still sound note-worthy?

A literary agent who sent you on interviews for move and TV projects? I didn't know they did that, espcially when they were supposed to be representing you/your book.

My opinion only: if he did not zero regarding your book, I either (1) would not mention it or (2) mention it but tell the truth that he never shopped your book.