International writing contest

Moralis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am interested in submitting some short stories to writing competitions. I write in English and would like to enter competitions in the US or the UK. Most don't accept entries from outside the US or UK though. So any f you know of any that do? Preferably no fee.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this query... might be better off in the Short Fiction sub-forum (a mod will move it if that's so).

There are a lot of contests that accept international entries... it's a matter of doing a Google search and checking out which ones your stories are suitable for. Many of them are looking for a particular genre or length, for example, and you haven't told us what kind you write.
There are also various places you can sign up for newsletters that will give you current contests, like winningwriters.com (they have a free and paid version).
You might also want to consider submitting your work to paying markets rather than competitions.
Competitions (particularly without fees) are often extremely difficult to place in, since they attract a lot of entries and it's hard to know exactly what the judges are looking for (particularly if there are new judges each year).
Whereas it's easier to get a handle on what a journal is looking for, as they provide everyone with multiple examples every time they publish.
Not to discourage you from competitions. It is a thrill when you do win. Good luck :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If you write sf/f there's Writers of the Future