Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Update: so the Book Fair is June 1st. Are there any YA authors in the Northern VA/DC area who would be interested in joining me for the event? Anyone, anywhere have a signed book to donate that would be used as raffle prizes for the fair?

My nephew is an avid reader and an aspiring Eagle Scout. For his project to earn the designation, we wants to host a book fair in Herndon, Virginia in the Spring June 1st.

He loves books more than even food I think, and he wants to get other young people excited. He asked for my advice in this planning stage and I said I would reach out to writers I know who may be interested in participating by pledging an in-person appearance (if you're in the area) or donating a copy of their book for the event.

I'll be doing both.

If you, or anyone you know, might be interested, PM me and I'll facilitate the plan.

Last edited:

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
He could try hitting some of the science fiction conventions in the area and mining the writers there. Marscon is in January, and Mysticon is in February. Depending on when in the spring, Ravencon also has a lot of writers. Also, the flyer table would be good for advertising.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Marscon is a great event--Tamora Pierce is their YA GoH this year. Also, their "toast master" is the leader/founder of my local writers' group--Michael Khandelwal. He's fabulous, and very nice.

ETA: Here is their website.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Date's been set and we're on. OP has been edited for details. Would love to meet some fellow AWers as well as help out my nephew!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like an amazing Eagle project! Wish I'd thought of that back in the day. Good luck!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Hi, Perks! I just saw this for the first time. I don't have a physical copy of my YA book, but I can donate an ecopy. If that won't work, I have some cool bookmarks I can send. PM me if you're interested.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
No, YA is definitely not mandatory. Peter's target audience is youth to young adult, so if you think your book would appeal across some part of that spectrum, we would be thrilled to have your participation!

And bookmarks would be awesome, Mclesh! Thank you so much forthe offer. PM me if you want to send something and I'll get it to Peter.

Thank you, everyone!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Last call (and plea) ---

If you have any books that would appeal to a teen base that you would be willing to donate a copy for raffle at the Book Fair, that would be awesome.

And if you're in the DC area and would like to be part of a Q&A panel for the young and the curious, PM me and we'll see what we can set up...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, have you contacted any publishers or agents? Or contacted well-known non-AW authors to ask if they'd help out? It's worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.