Mexico 10 years ago

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters has a Mexican father and American mother. I know that 10 or even 5 years ago crossing the border wasn't as tight on security and Mexico not as dangerous as it is now. This is more character background than plot, so generalizations are okay. I just want to make sure that her background and upbringings are accurate.

I live in Arizona, but not since birth so everything I know about its history is second hand through friends. Like the fact that most of them used to visit Rocky Point, Mexico every summer and now only one does. And none of them are Mexican descent, unfortunately. :(

What I'd like to know:

- How many years ago would her mother decide that it was too dangerous for her and her daughter to visit relatives in the border towns? Any particular event?

- Security 10 years ago. 5 years ago. Now.

- Politics in Mexico over last 10 years.

- Has racism in southern states towards Hispanics increased, decreased, or stayed the same over the last 10 years?

- How do Mexicans view Americans or their American relatives?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Being bilingual, having lived in Mexico, and having many good Mexican friends, I can help with a couple of your questions.

- How many years ago would her mother decide that it was too dangerous for her and her daughter to visit relatives in the border towns? Any particular event?

This seems to differ by family. My neighbors across the street avoid their birth country like the plague. On the other hand, my coworker's parents continue to traverse back and forth like it's nothing, and have had no issues. Both of these families come from Chihuahua.

Has racism in southern states towards Hispanics increased, decreased, or stayed the same over the last 10 years?
This you should be able to answer yourself, to a degree. But in my opinion, tensions have gotten worse. I think it's because a lot of gang violence is being imported into the states. Gringos, understandably, are getting a annoyed by this. Last year, my mom almost got hurt at Walmart when a fight between Mexican gangsters erupted around her. You better believe I feel those pedazos de mierda should have stayed south of the border. My neighbors, on the other hand, I LOVE, and consider as my surrogate parents, since my own have moved to Central America.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Doesn't answer your question, but they will have to have a civil wedding ceremony in Mexico for their marriage to be legal there. That might impact your story.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score

Doesn't answer your question, but they will have to have a civil wedding ceremony in Mexico for their marriage to be legal there. That might impact your story.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Would her parents have to marry in both Mexico and US separately to be classified as married?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think they only have to have the Mexican civil ceremony.

I do know an American/Mexican couple who married 13 1/2 years ago who had their religious ceremony in the US and the civil ceremony in Mexico.

I've heard of a case (many years ago) where the American & Mexican married in the US, returned to Mexico, and several years after their children were born had to have a civil ceremony in Mexico to legitimatize them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My father is a management consultant who used to go to border towns often for business (manufacturing industry). I think he stopped by about the time you are talking about, maybe a little later. He still went to Tijuana longer than the others, but I think his last trip there was by 2005.

When did the killing of tourists really get in the media? That's what did it for him, as far as I could tell. I was going to do a language intensive in a border town when I had a break from a job, and he no longer thought it was safe enough to do :(