PDA

View Full Version : What to do..



kelliewallace
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
On the 31st December, I was offered a contract for my HF. It is an American based publisher and I am happy they offered me one.
I submitted to an Australian pub during the same time and the owner and I have been in recent communication. On the 20th Dec she emailed me to say she will be reviewing the full MS and get back to me soon. I really want her to offer me a contract because she’s based in my country and will help with exposure etc. Plus I like the books on offer. But she doesn’t do e-books. The other place does (as well as print).
I wanted to email the Aussie pub and tell her of the offer, but in the same vein I didn't want to sound like I was pushing her. Should I just wait it out or decide upon the best option for my novel?

jjdebenedictis
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd suggest politely telling the Australian publisher that you have an offer but you'd like to give her a chance to read and potentially offer on the manuscript too. Then ask her if she can get it done in two weeks.

The trick is to gently let her know she has competition (which might help convince her that your book is a hot property that she MUST have) without her saying, "Oh--I won't bother then. Congratulations to you!" You need to give her a reasonable amount of time to get the reading done and give her hope that you might take an offer from her.

kelliewallace
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Thank you :) I never thought of it that way.

alleycat
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
The Australian publisher must be a small operation. Is the American one a small indie one as well?

kelliewallace
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
The American pub is a small press but renowned with a lot of authors. The Aussie one is quite small. Upon thinking more of this, I'll most likely go with the American pub. I think they will offer me more for my career. Thank you all.

EMaree
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
If you get the chance, I'd ask if the Aussie pub is planning on introducing e-books as well (or if it gets to a contract offer, check if they're wanting e-book rights). Not offering an e-book version of your book is unusual for this day and age, and for me it would be an important consideration in whether I go with that publisher. Being in print only would cut you off from a lot of potential readers.

Old Hack
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Why can't you accept both offers? One publisher for your American edition, one for your Australian: what's wrong with that? So long as you negotiate an appropriate contract with them both, I see no problem here.

bearilou
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Why can't you accept both offers? One publisher for your American edition, one for your Australian: what's wrong with that? So long as you negotiate an appropriate contract with them both, I see no problem here.

I'm so glad to see all my haunting the hallowed pages of AW is finally beginning to rub off on me. This is exactly what I thought when I read the OP.

:yessmiley

Phaeal
01-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Why can't you accept both offers? One publisher for your American edition, one for your Australian: what's wrong with that? So long as you negotiate an appropriate contract with them both, I see no problem here.

This. But it all depends on what rights each publisher expects to hold. "World English" rights, for example, could be a killer.

I'd find out what rights the American publisher would be buying. Maybe you already know, if you have the contract in hand.

Old Hack
01-03-2013, 10:29 PM
If they're asking for World English the OP is at liberty to negotiate that point and offer them World English in e-format but only American for the print edition, or World English minus Australia for print, perhaps.

If the American publisher doesn't have an Australian arm they will probably be reasonably happy not to have Australian print rights, as that's something they probably won't exploit and it makes sense to have the book available in as many territories as possible.

Phaeal
01-03-2013, 11:27 PM
If they're asking for World English the OP is at liberty to negotiate that point and offer them World English in e-format but only American for the print edition, or World English minus Australia for print, perhaps.

If the American publisher doesn't have an Australian arm they will probably be reasonably happy not to have Australian print rights, as that's something they probably won't exploit and it makes sense to have the book available in as many territories as possible.

That would certainly be sweet.

I think, then, that I would at least be talking to the American publisher about such possibilities, in order to be armed with options should the Australian publisher bite.

kaitie
01-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Okay, I'm just curious about something here. If she took both offers, would she be editing the book separately for two different editors? Meaning the final product could end up different in each country? Or would it mean having one final product that would just be published by a different publisher?

Old Hack
01-04-2013, 02:47 AM
That can happen.

If a US publisher sells rights to a UK publisher, for example, then the original edits will often be kept to save money. But if two publishers buy the same book simultaneously it can happen that it'll be edited twice.

More commonly, though, the first publisher will edit the book then that version will be sold into new territories. A wise agent will ensure that her author-clients control copyright of all their work, edits included.

kelliewallace
01-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Thank you all your input. I decided to go with the American publisher.