Querying: crap!

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw a tweet from Jessica Sinisheimer from the Sarah Freymann Agency. She said she's getting caught up on queries for a few days, so don't query her. A good time is mid to late January because savvy writers wait until after the holidays to query. So if your query is mixed in with good queries, she's more likely to request.
Big sigh -- from a woman who queried before the holidays.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. If you've got something that pops for a particular agent, it will pop whenever.

I believe I queried my agent during the holidays. :D

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard from anyone in the last batch I sent out, not even a form rejection. I'm not patient -- this is a lifelong problem.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. If you've got something that pops for a particular agent, it will pop whenever.

Ditto. A compelling premise and strong sample pages will result in a request no matter when you query.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I just saw a tweet from Jessica Sinisheimer from the Sarah Freymann Agency. She said she's getting caught up on queries for a few days, so don't query her. A good time is mid to late January because savvy writers wait until after the holidays to query. So if your query is mixed in with good queries, she's more likely to request.

I doubt the first line is true, and the second seems inherently illogical--if your query is mixed in with "good" queries (the implication apparently being "better than yours" or "better than in general") and your query isn't at that level, it will only mean that

1. this gap between the "good" and "ok" is magnified and more apparent
2. they are getting lots of "good" stuff, so the pickings aren't exactly slim

query when you're ready to, the "when to query" dilemma is a game people like to get into knots over but I haven't seen anything to suggest it truly matters

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the first line is true, and the second seems inherently illogical--if your query is mixed in with "good" queries (the implication apparently being "better than yours" or "better than in general") and your query isn't at that level, it will only mean that

query when you're ready to, the "when to query" dilemma is a game people like to get into knots over but I haven't seen anything to suggest it truly matters

I thought the only time NOT to query is when the agent/editor states 'do not query me during this time frame'.
Otherwise, query away!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Actually, I've seen editors say the exact same thing about a batch of "good" proposals putting them in a more positive frame of mind, so they're more likely to request or even offer on a MS. Ditto the logic of having it happen right after New Year's. They're optimistic, and so they read optimistically.

I doubt it's true of everyone, but it has been said.

Also - I hit the query-go-round at (as in on) both Christmas and during Passover & Easter. It really doesn't matter unless the agent in question is abstaining from work for holy day observances.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
interesting....that seems very counterintuitive, but if you've seen it several places I am reconsidering.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
It's the halo effect IMHO. Something shiny makes other things shiny around it.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Only likely to happen if your query/ms/whatever was already teetering on the fence between request and reject. In which case, what are the odds that it will make it all the way through the process to acceptance/sale/etc.?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Then where did teh queries she's now reading come from? The holidays are OVER. Savy agents should know this.

FCameron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
definingyourhome.blogspot.com
I just saw a tweet from Jessica Sinisheimer from the Sarah Freymann Agency. She said she's getting caught up on queries for a few days, so don't query her. A good time is mid to late January because savvy writers wait until after the holidays to query. So if your query is mixed in with good queries, she's more likely to request. Wow, that says something about mood. In other words, if an agent is in a bad mood, having a bad day, overwhelmed, didn't get enough sleep...

I guess it's human nature. There are times when I've started reading a book and couldn't get past the first page, then went back later and loved it. But, I gave that book another chance.... once a query is rejected, it's rejected.