PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be on HGTV!

allz28
01-02-2013, 04:09 AM
Tune in to HGTV on January 1st at 10pm ET/9 CT to see my wife and I starring in an episode of House Hunters. We're excited. :)

http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters/neighborhood-versus-lots-of-land-in-little-rock-arkansas/index.html

Ari Meermans
01-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Cool. :) Best of luck on the house hunt, or if you've found one, congrats!

benluby
01-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Reminder set on the tv!

Cliff Face
01-02-2013, 05:00 AM
That's awesome!

allz28
01-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Thanks!

jjdebenedictis
01-02-2013, 07:02 AM
I don't own a TV, but congratulations! That must have been so fun. :)

Snowstorm
01-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Cool beans! I hope you had fun. Of course, after it airs you'll have to tell us all about it!

Maryn
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
House Hunters is among my go-to shows when there's nothing much on. I'll make a point of checking it out tonight.

You're not all demanding about stainless and granite being the only possible kitchen choices, I hope!

Maryn, happy with black and Corian

allz28
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Sorry Maryn, looks like you missed it. It was on last night. But it will be in reruns for the next six years.

Barbara R.
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Cool. I often watch that show. But I read recently that a lot of it is faked, that the houses shown on the show aren't really among the ones the clients choose from. Can you speak to that, or did you sign a 90-year confidentiality agreement?

Lavern08
01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
DANG!

I feel like I'm in The Twilight Zone.

I was watching House Hunters last night (01/01/13) and the narrator described the couple by saying that the husband was a "struggling writer," and I thought to myself...

"Gee, wouldn't it be cool if that guy was a member of AW?"

*How cah-razy is that Jazz Hands* :D

Myrealana
01-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't get HGTV, but hope you enjoyed the experience.

One of my HS friends was on it a couple of years ago. She got a kick out of it.

Brutal Mustang
01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Congrats. Haven't gotten satellite TV since I moved out on the range, but I sure miss HGTV. Especially now that I own my first home.

allz28
01-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Cool. I often watch that show. But I read recently that a lot of it is faked, that the houses shown on the show aren't really among the ones the clients choose from. Can you speak to that, or did you sign a 90-year confidentiality agreement?

There's certainly some truth to that scandal. But, let's face it, the focus of all "reality tv" is on the tv component, not the reality.

We didn't get selected to be on the show until after we closed on our house. Once you're on, the show is filmed in reverse.

One of the houses was, of course, the one we bought. One was actually our second choice. And the third home is one that we had never seen before, that way they can film our natural reactions as we go through it.

The show is already "written" before the crew comes out to film it. Which means they have an outline for how it will go and what they basically want covered (they write this based on the video audition and phone interviews) In our case, they chose the third house as one with a pool because they wanted the dichotomy of how I wanted a pond and my wife wanted a pool, which in real life, wasn't that high of a priority for her.

One thing I want to make clear is that the episode portrayed me as only a "starving writer," which made it look like I'm mooching off my wife.

Because we had just moved to Little Rock for my wife's job, I hadn't yet found employment here. When the show asked what I do for a living, I told them I used to be a Park Ranger. They asked what I was doing in the meantime and I told them I was writing. I'm always writing. They took that and rolled with it, and now I kind of regret it.

I'm working as a banker now.

allz28
01-03-2013, 06:32 AM
DANG!

I feel like I'm in The Twilight Zone.

I was watching House Hunters last night (01/01/13) and the narrator described the couple by saying that the husband was a "struggling writer," and I thought to myself...

"Gee, wouldn't it be cool if that guy was a member of AW?"

*How cah-razy is that Jazz Hands* :D

do do doo do, do do doo do

Barbara R.
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
What an interestingly diverse career you're having: park ranger, writer, and banker. And now, reality t.v. star. But thanks, actually, for the backstage view on how the show works. What did you and your wife get out of being on it---did it help you in any way?

allz28
01-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Well, I wish I could say that my wife got a commercial deal modeling hair for Pantene, or that I'm fending off phone calls now from top literary agents, but in reality we just got the pleasure of being on TV and having our 15 minutes.

HGTV did pay us $500 for our time, which was a nice bonus.

Lavern08
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
One thing I want to make clear is that the episode portrayed me as only a "starving writer," which made it look like I'm mooching off my wife.

I gotta admit, I did think "How on earth can they afford a house for over $400,000 and she's the only one working?" :D