PDA

View Full Version : Anthology for Charity?

Shaolin
01-01-2013, 12:11 AM
So, I've had a thought and I'm putting it out there to get a little feedback. I'm debating, given the ease of e-publishing, the idea of getting a few writer types together, writing up some short stories (namely Fantasy/ Urban Fantasy/ Sci Fi) putting them together into an anthology and selling them on Amazon for a few bucks.

Here's the rub. All the money goes to the kids in Newtown. It's a straight charity kind of thing, none of the author's would be paid or anything of that nature. It's just something nice to do for some kids who've had it pretty rough lately.

Thoughts? Opinions?

eternalised
01-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I think you would really need to put a plan together. Just writing some stories isn't going to make it sell.

You'll need:
1) an editor or editor(s)
2) a cover artist
3) possibly an interior artist for the book
4) printing costs if you want to go print
5) marketing

It would probably be a good idea if you sat down and calculated your expenses first, and then think about if you can earn them back before getting started on this. If you can't cover your expenses or you don't think there might be enough sales to cover them, this may not be a very good idea.

Also, I don't know about all authors but I know about me personally, that even though I have no qualms writing a story for charity, I would like to see those funds actually donated to charity. So I would like to see statements of the expenses, sales, and what percentage of sales goes to charity, like every trimester.

You may also want to think about giving something to the authors, like a free author copy (or more) for the book.

Good luck though!

Brynn
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Unless I am misinformed, Newtown, CT is an affluent town. The children and adults of that town have been through something horrific, but I'm not seeing how more money will help them to overcome it or cope with it. Do you know of any reputable charity already connected with Newtown to whom you would be funneling funds?

I know the instinct to DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING can be strong, but I'd need to see a logical connection between the anthology's sales and meaningful help to those who need it before I'd consider writing (or buying) for charity.

Maryn
01-05-2013, 10:37 PM
I agree with Brynn. The Newtown community won't be helped by funds--but the Hurricane Sandy victims desperately need help, from funds to shovels in strong hands.