Status
Not open for further replies.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My YA fantasy novel is focussed on a group of humans transformed into (basically) humans-with-wings. They keep their own arms and don't gain tails, but there are a lot of physical changes including lighter bones and new muscles. The wings are large and attach at the back from shoulderblades down to the small of the back. (Aurora-Carina's 'Thoughts on Wings' was very influential.)

I'm trying not to get too caught up in research, but there's one problem I can't get around: how would they wear clothes? My thoughts so far have been 'open-sided' clothes that run down the middle of the back between the wings and attach at the shoulders and waist, or open-backed jumpsuits. But these options seem open to wardrobe malfunctions, especially for ladies.

Have you read any fantasy novels that have found inventive ways around this problem, or can anyone suggest some possible ways around this issue?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might look up images of angels and other winged creature statues and see how artists have handled this. Many of them used the artist equivalent of poetic license (the tunic just flows around the wings somehow, since the artist didn't have to explain how they got the thing on), but you might gets some ideas from some of the more realistic ones.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a few suggestions...

The first has to do with crossed straps down the back from shoulders to waist, as some evening gowns have - or as dungarees have, where the straps hit something more solid but the stress transfer is basically the same.

The second involves something like a bikini top, one of the sort slung from the neck instead of around ribs.

The third involves lycra, and covering up the first six inches or so of the wingroots along with everything else. Buttons and/or zips required.

The fourth involves a toga-style garment in a fabric light enough that the wings don't get hindered.

The fifth includes at least short sleeves and a tight cut on the usable bits of the shoulders.

No, I haven't thought about this before at all...

WriterWho

Edit . . . Edit . . . Edit . . .
Registered
Reaction score
If the wings didn't reach the small of the back the women could wear tank tops depending on the weather. There's plenty that go up the middle of the back (think jogger's outfits), leaving the shoulder blades free for wings. :Shrug: Other than strapless tops that's about all I can think of.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anatomically how are you going to have something span the length of most the spine? Shoulder blades are attached by a muscular sling that fit over our back. The anatomical equivalent in birds- wings- require heavy pecs to move them on the downstroke.

So to keep the spine supple, the wings cant attach deep or be heavily muscled.

Of course, this ignores the fact that our spines can't hold our asses or legs upright in flight anyways (birds have a synsacrum to help with this bottom heavy support issue.)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
You might look up images of angels and other winged creature statues and see how artists have handled this. Many of them used the artist equivalent of poetic license (the tunic just flows around the wings somehow, since the artist didn't have to explain how they got the thing on), but you might gets some ideas from some of the more realistic ones.

Thanks for the suggestion Alleycat. :) A lot of artists stylise their wings to suit clothes by making the surface area where they join the back tiny. It looks cool, but it's not very realistic, and I'm trying to keep the wing mechanics on the realistic side of fantasy logic.

If the wings didn't reach the small of the back the women could wear tank tops depending on the weather. There's plenty that go up the middle of the back (think jogger's outfits), leaving the shoulder blades free for wings. :Shrug: Other than strapless tops that's about all I can think of.

Thank you WriterWho! Tank tops are current go-to for lady outfits but I'm hoping to find ways to incorporate more variety. (I also worry about the risk of flashing the bra when there's a split down the entire side of fit wings, but I know that's overthinking it, haha.)

The first has to do with crossed straps down the back from shoulders to waist, as some evening gowns have - or as dungarees have, where the straps hit something more solid but the stress transfer is basically the same.

Hi Clare, is there any chance you can link to an image of these kinds of dress? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

The second involves something like a bikini top, one of the sort slung from the neck instead of around ribs.

A halterneck bikini style? I like that idea, for some reason it hadn't crossed my mind! Thank you!

The third involves lycra, and covering up the first six inches or so of the wingroots along with everything else. Buttons and/or zips required.

I'm really digging the idea of partially covering the wingroots and having zips and buttons to adjust, eg for flight.

No, I haven't thought about this before at all...

Haha, I love that I can find people who've thought about the same issues on here! Thank you so much for sharing you ideas.

Rep points are winging their way to everyone. :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Anatomically how are you going to have something span the length of most the spine? Shoulder blades are attached by a muscular sling that fit over our back. The anatomical equivalent in birds- wings- require heavy pecs to move them on the downstroke.

So to keep the spine supple, the wings cant attach deep or be heavily muscled.

Of course, this ignores the fact that our spines can't hold our asses or legs upright in flight anyways (birds have a synsacrum to help with this bottom heavy support issue.)

Fenika, you're clearly much more knowledgeable in this area than I am so excuse me if what follows sounds utterly ridiculous. So far my thoughts regarding this species anatomy include: hollowed bones, modified (much larger) breastplate, larger lung capacity, and possibly a second set of pectoral muscles (that last idea is entirely from that Aurora-Carina link).

I've been trying to combine human and avian anatomy with a large dose of "it's fantasy" because it's nearly impossible to have a biologically plausible winged human without losing most of the human aspects. I considered including a tail for more realistic flight and balance but then the issue of clothing became a bit overwhelming.

For the spinal issues you mentioned, would additional muscles/secondary pecs and a hollow-but-strong bone structure be enough to make you suspend disbelief or do I need to dig deeper?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Halter tops that tie at the neck and the small of the back?

Racer-back women's bathing suits? (Although they'd have to thread their wings through the suit's armholes, which would be a pain.)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Thanks jjde, both very good ideas. Sewing and clothing alternation is a fairly common hobby for this race (out of necessity), so a racer-back swimsuit with the armholes extended down would work quite well!

(I'm clocking off for the night, so please excuse my brief disappearance from this topic. Thank you all for your responses so far! I was driving myself up the wall trying to think of practical ways around this problem.)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
You might consider a poncho-type garment with a narrowed back panel that can fit between the wings.

For women, a backless halter that fits around the neck and arms/shoulders. (Another possibility would be that breast and genital size would be reduced to minimize the need for support while in the air.)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Bare in mind, the higher your winged humans fly, the colder its gets, so you want clothing that protects them from the cold...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anatomy, study the shoulders of birds and people. We dont have breastplates. Birds have coracoid bones. Etc.

It isn't possible to avoid some anatomy/physiolgy handwaving, but wings attaching the length of the spine wouldn't work for the reasons I mentioned.

If you want to create something, you need to study the function of bones and muscles a bit.

As for clothes, bird feathers can be very fluffy, even when pulled close. I would think some sort of 'scales' or feathers that will lay flat as the wind twirls around them (unless the wind goes totally against the 'grain') would be interesting and reasonably possible (except birds can raise and flatten feathers at will)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Thank you everyone! Clare, that image really clears things up, thanks. (It's also a very nice dress, ooh.)

Nalini Singh's books look like fun, I've ordered a copy of Angels' Blood. Sharon Shinn's work is very different from my usual style of fantasy so I'm looking forward to reading that. Difficult to locate Archangel in the UK though, had to get it from the Book Depository as Amazon UK doesn't stock it.

Thanks again Fenika, I'll sit down today and try to research some more plausible anatomy for these characters.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Something strappy / halternecked would probably be in order, but if they're actually going to be wearing it while flying you'll want something trouser-based rather than a dress / toga type of thing otherwise it would flap about and get in the way I'd imagine. Some sort of cross between a woman's swimsuit and a wetsuit, maybe?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I considered including a tail for more realistic flight and balance but then the issue of clothing became a bit overwhelming.

Without a tail, you don't have a stabilizer/rudder. I'm wondering if a tailless flyer wouldn't more or less rotate in place, like towels flipping around a clothesline in a high wind. Now, the trailing legs could probably do the job, but then you need some seriously powerful muscles all along the rear end to keep the legs elevated.

I'm thinkin' those seriously-powerful-arse-end-muscles also make a good counterbalance to the otherwise-topheavy muscling required by the wings.

BTW, are they real flyers that can rise from ground level, or are they more gliders that need some help to get off the ground?

And remember, you have to take three running steps to get airborne :D

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Without a tail, you don't have a stabilizer/rudder. I'm wondering if a tailless flyer wouldn't more or less rotate in place, like towels flipping around a clothesline in a high wind. Now, the trailing legs could probably do the job, but then you need some seriously powerful muscles all along the rear end to keep the legs elevated.

Yeah, I've had them using their legs to balance and steer in the air as well as when landing. I've been basing it on the hip action of a pelican (eg in the slow motion video near the bottom of this page).

I'm wondering -- Fenika mentioned the synsacrum earlier. If this species has a synsacrum, would that and using their legs for steering suitably cover the bottom-heaviness issue? And what would be the visual changes for a butt-turned-synsacrum and the impact on normal human motion? (Also, if anyone can recommend good documentaries or textbooks on this subject I would be very grateful.)

BTW, are they real flyers that can rise from ground level, or are they more gliders that need some help to get off the ground?

Real flyers once they've built up muscle and adjusted to the new biology, and they have quite a bit of 'flex' to their wings to build up lift when on the ground. Fledglings need to glide though.

I've got a bit of fantasy-world leeway when it comes to take-offs because this species have a limited amount of control over the wind. Hooray for fantasy leeway!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Hooray for fantasy leeway!

Yup, what would we do without it :)

I don't know if you've read Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space but there's a fairly detailed part in there about the archaeology of an extinct alien species of winged humanoids which might (or might not) interest you. I must admit it bored the pants off me as I'm fairly happy with some plausible handwavium and don't really want scientific details explained to me, but each to their own.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
And what would be the visual changes for a butt-turned-synsacrum and the impact on normal human motion?

If they do have it.. I'm thinkin' they might move with most or all the leg motion forward, rather than half before and half after the body, as in the normal swinging human gait. Kinda like that "don't catch my feet" high-and-forward-in-the-air running that football players use (does it have a name??) tho less exaggerated.

Side thought: late pregnancy might be durn awkward.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
You could always create a special version of the sleeping bag that hang-gliders use, with stiffening to take the weight. Pocket-for-feet plus steerable-fin equals tail/rudder?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Real flyers once they've built up muscle and adjusted to the new biology, and they have quite a bit of 'flex' to their wings to build up lift when on the ground. Fledglings need to glide though.

"Adjusted to the new biology" yet "fledglings" ... now I'm confused! :D So you've got both original wings-added and the next generation present? Ought to be an interesting transition period.

I've got a bit of fantasy-world leeway when it comes to take-offs because this species have a limited amount of control over the wind. Hooray for fantasy leeway!

I like how that dovetails <ha!> right into their having wings. Which came first, the wings or the wind control??

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
"Adjusted to the new biology" yet "fledglings" ... now I'm confused! :D So you've got both original wings-added and the next generation present? Ought to be an interesting transition period.

Sorry for the confusing wording. 'Fledglings' = anyone newly transformed, and therefore not yet adjusted to the biology.

I like how that dovetails <ha!> right into their having wings. Which came first, the wings or the wind control??

Wings first. Adapting to the pain and figuring out wings is an immediate necessity, and wind-control is picked up when they have a better understanding of how their new biology and instincts work together. [Story babbling.]This story's universe is a spin on various afterlife mythologies, so there's angels (with links to fire), demons (ice), and a grey-winged Purgatory race called Mori with some control over wind. While the other two have armies, ranks of progression and training programs, Mori are fairly disorganized and there's a lot of 'How do I use these wings? How do I fix my clothes? Why did I just fly into a tree? How did you do that? Why does everybody hate us?' [End story babbling.]

You could always create a special version of the sleeping bag that hang-gliders use, with stiffening to take the weight. Pocket-for-feet plus steerable-fin equals tail/rudder?

Thanks Clare! That sounds brilliantly practical, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be very flexible which means it wouldn't be suited for the story. (I have a lot of fun with flocking behaviors and aerial fight scenes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.