Reading List

Status
Not open for further replies.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I recently read Stephen King's On Writing, and it reinspired my dedication to reading. I've cut TV back to about 5 hours a week (I watch Wheel of Fortune & Jeopardy with my wife, and ER when it's new), and it's making a big difference.

So, then I read Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain on the 21st (in about 4 1/2 hours).
Then John Grisham's The Summons.
I read 28 chapters of a friend's unpublished ms (about 65,000 words).
I read Michael Stackpole's I, Jedi between the 24th & 25th.
Now I'm reading George Martin's A Clash of Kings. It's going to take a few days because it's a monster.
Then Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. That should take an afternoon.

Then I go back to the library.

It's a good time.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
To Kill a Mockingbird is done.

So is Martin's A Clash of Kings, which was a 1,000-page beast.
At the library tonight, I picked up Last of the Mohicans, Lord of the Flies, and Beowolf's Children, sequel to Legacy of Heorot, one of the best sci-fi pieces from the last 40 years, IMHO.

I have questions about TKAM, but they have to wait until morning.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Stephen King's new novel, Cell. Awesome so far...

Then it's on to Patterson's, The 5th Horsemen and Iris Johansen's, On The Run.

After that, well, who knows?

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
kristie911 said:
I'm in the middle of Stephen King's new novel, Cell. Awesome so far...

Then it's on to Patterson's, The 5th Horsemen and Iris Johansen's, On The Run.

After that, well, who knows?

King's new novel was pre-ordered for me during Christmas, but was sent to my parents house. . . I just need to drive a hundred miles to go get it.

Anyway, I am doing a research project on cynicism in the later years of Mark Twain's life, so I am up to my ears in Twain research. . . I would suggest Letter's From The Earth. . . . hilarious blasphemy, if you believe in that blasphemy stuff. . . or maybe try picking up The Mysterious Stranger and other short works. . . Twain was very biting in his later years.

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Cell last night (after not reading it other than 35 pages the day I bought it.)

Let me know when y'all finish because I have some stuff that I really need to rant about over it and they are technically spoilers. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but...

Right now, though I've picked up Company by Max Barry. I'm about 50 into it, and it's pretty good so far.

I'm going to go back and re-read White Noise after that, and I might pick up Tyrannosaur Canyon.

Nicholson James

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Dave Eggers's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius two nights ago. It's one helluva manic-depressive read, but I'd recommend it to anyone.

So now I'm about halfway through Dennis Lehane's A Drink Before the War. This man is rapidly becoming my favorite author.

(And King's On Writing is an amazing little friend.)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
travNastee said:
I finished Cell last night (after not reading it other than 35 pages the day I bought it.)

Let me know when y'all finish because I have some stuff that I really need to rant about over it and they are technically spoilers. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but...

I finished Cell tonight and loved it! I'd love to know what you didn't like about it but we'd better not spoil it for everyone...

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading Bless Me Ultima. I was reading Foundation (but got stuck at the last few pages) and bell hooks' all about love (but put it down because I couldn't concentrate on it at the time).

I've gotten a bunch of new books from the Re-Store (Habitat for Humanity's "thrift" store) and I hope to break one open soon.

A few asides:

Does anyone else here shop at the Re-Store? We've been a few times since we moved to Carolina and I really like it. The down side is that it's across town and will be even further away when we move next month.

Also, is there anyone else here who never minds spoilers? I always like to hear the details, especially for movies. I feel like seeing it isn't the same as hearing it and seeing it on the screen always differs wildly from what I imagine from hearing it.

With books, spoilers are okay for me because if I plan to read it any way, the experience of reading it for myself is totally different from how I relate to it being told to me by someone else.
EmoteShrug.gif

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like you, Blisswriter, in two ways--spoilers can ruin movies for me, but not books, plus I shop thrift stores (although we don't have a Re-Store) frequently. It helps that my critique group's daytime meetings are near the best one.

But I understand that for some people, any and all spoilers ruin the experience, so I try hard not to mess it up for them by labeling my messages that give away important plot elements.

It's a rare book that's truly ruined by a spoiler (Shutter Island comes to mind), but obviously that's just me--and you.

Maryn, who reads less when she writes more

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on two Ben Bova books now. I plan to grab the new King book, but after that....anybody want to give me suggestions? Horror, Sci-fi and Fantasy are my Holy Grails.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
robeiae said:
I didn't like Beowolf's Children at all, though I thought Legacy was pretty good.

I'm not liking the generational conflict. I'm about 232 pages in so far. The characterization is almost as good as Legacy, but the tension is far less intense...so far not as good as Legacy.

I think I'm going to start a new thread for my discussion on TKAMB.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Lloyd: I just finished On Writing for the second time. It's a great read, isn't it? It really made me start writing down my ideas for short stories and future projects, now if I would only finish what I have going so I could get to some of them!

Now, I'm reading The Pacific Between, by Ray Wong. So far, so good :)

special needs

Resident Airhead
Registered
Reaction score
I just read "Go Ask Alice" again. I read it in 3rd grade during math class, and never understood it...I can only hope that my dad had no idea that it's not all-that-appropriate-for-a-seven-year-old....

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
LloydBrown said:
Nope.

I'd give these guys another chance, although I was disappointed with Beowulf's Children. I saw a lot that I liked. Unfortunately, the storyline wasn't it. Ouch!
Leagacy/Beowulf is Niven, Pournelle and Barnes.

Mote is just Niven and Pournelle. It leaves Legact in the dust, IMO.

Rob :)

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Over a month to read Last of the Mohicans. Ugh. Or Hugh! as Cooper says.

I'm rewarding myself with Frankenstein and then Michael Crichton's Timeline. Frankenstein is short--about 60,000 words, I think, and Shelley's easy reading compared to Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.