Three freebie experiments and my analysis of results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Over the last 8 months I’ve run 3 free download exercises to evaluate if allowing readers to sample your voice/style expands your platform and results in increased site visits and eventual sales. The results, in my opinion are mixed. I’ll summarize below then provide my conclusion.

1. Free download of a cookbook – 18 published authors associated with the blog TheWritersVineyard.com created a book of their favorite recipes (about 40), bundled with a nice cover and display, then uploaded to over a dozen websites that offer free e Book downloads, plus each author listed on their site for free download. Over 8 months the cookbook has been D/L over 6000 times with most occurring during first 2 months. Within that initial period I did notice a significant increase (roughly a third) in deep hits to my websites and a resulting increase in royalty but since then the affect has tapered off.

2. KDP participation of a novel – An author friend and I created a Novella length book (60,000 word romantic suspense entitled DISTANT OBSESSION) specifically for evaluating the KDP program. During the first 3 month download period there were 2200 D/Ls across 5 free days with 70% occurring on the first day. During 2nd KDP 90 day period 515 readers D/L the book. This experiment was outside the free cookbook first 3 months period. I noticed no significant increase in deep hits.

3. KDP participation of a short story – During the second KDP period for the DISTANT OBSESSION novel I decided to try a free D/L increment with a short paranormal romance (BEYOND FOREVER) that would eventually be part of an anthology I was participating in development with 16 other authors. Over the 90 day KDP period a total of 243 copies were D/L but again I saw no significant increase in deep hits to my website.

My conclusion – I know that others have posted their own experience and some touted the KDP program, but I can only report what I’ve seen. I currently have agreed to participate in two other KDP experiments over the next three months with other authors and will carry through with that commitment but after that I won’t repeat the exercise. If you’ve observed better results by all means go for it but I can’t offer false testament to what I haven’t seen personally.

It’s possible that most who download freebies place them in a queue folder to be read later and never get to the story or perhaps 6 to 12 months downstream they do read, in which case I wouldn’t have observe any impact yet. My gut tells me it’s more likely that those who prowl the halls of free downloads rarely wander over into the pay zone, but I have no data to confirm that hypothesis.

In terms of why the cookbook did better than the fictional downloads, only possibility I can figure is that it was placed on more diverse sites and not part of the KDP program, which many find hard to search and find stories unless they’re in the top ranks.

I also observed that spreading the free downloads across the 90 day period was more affective (total D/L wise) than in one total 5 day increment. Most D/Ls occurred over the first day and logic says that it’s more likely to get exposed to readers offline for 5 days (e.g. vacation, etc) by spreading D/L days across your sign up period.

Hope that’s helpful.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting observations. Your cookbook also had the advantage of many authors (18) sending out notices across their social networks in comparison to the other two.

Thanks for the input.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks for sharing your experience, Michael. I've noticed continued sales of my second and third books in my trilogies even a year after offering the first book free. I think we have to give people time to read those titles. Especially since they download many freebies at one time.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
That is possible, Merritiat. Of the total five freebie experiments I've conducted none have been multi-part series and that could be a factor for the difference.

charlesartist

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I really like posts like these that give you a real picture with real examples.

Keep in mind you can do the KDP Select thing by having it free for five days and converting it to paid for the remainder of a 90 day period. Then, you can renew that again in 90 days with the same cycle; 5 day freebie and the rest of the period paid.

I know you are measuring if giving it away for free expands your platform, as you stated, but it's my understanding that with KDP Select, where Amazon Kindle has exclusive distribution of your digital book, they participate in promotion.

You can always remove your book from the program, I believe after the 90 day period, by simply not renewing and you of course have free reign with the distribution of you digital works after that. Keep in mind that I have yet to publish anything on Kindle at the moment but I do have works in development. Posts like yours are really helpful to gauge performance and results of the platforms you mentioned.

If you don't know already the commission structure for a KDP select book is 70% royalty while the regular kindle commission is set at 35%. I'm assuming you are putting links to your other works in the one's you are giving away for free? Even though Amazon 'assists' with promotion by giving a KDP Select work favorable placement, you can't just publish it there and expect the money to roll in. You have to do some of you own promotion too.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know you are measuring if giving it away for free expands your platform, as you stated, but it's my understanding that with KDP Select, where Amazon Kindle has exclusive distribution of your digital book, they participate in promotion.

Really? What promotional activities do they participate in, precisely?

If you don't know already the commission structure for a KDP select book is 70% royalty while the regular kindle commission is set at 35%.

I believe that if you price your book at $2.99 or under, or $9.99 and over, royalties are paid at 35% but between those figures, royalties are paid at 70%.

I hope someone will correct me if that's not right.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Really? What promotional activities do they participate in, precisely?

I believe that if you price your book at $2.99 or under, or $9.99 and over, royalties are paid at 35% but between those figures, royalties are paid at 70%.

I hope someone will correct me if that's not right.

You beat me to the exact same comments, OH, especially about Amazon's promotion of books in the Select program.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Charlesart

I've also discovered, least with the KDP thing, most of the free downloads occur in first 90 day period (about 75%). Appears, from what I've seen, what ever promo energy is in that avenue gets expended the first 90 days.

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon sends readers via email a full page of books at all prices in the genre they've purchased from. Not just KDP. I think this qualifies as promotion. I doubt they notify authors their books are going out in the manner I've just described.

I think viewers that don't buy but searched a specific genre also get the email. The emails I've received have the picture, price, and link to at least 10. (I didn't count but if you held my toes to the fire I'd say 12).

I get this type email at least monthly.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Over the last 8 months I’ve run 3 free download exercises to evaluate if allowing readers to sample your voice/style expands your platform and results in increased site visits and eventual sales.

Thanks for sharing.

I DO note that part of the experiment was expanding your platform, and therefore the deep hits info was relevant to that. However, as a reader I rarely visit author websites. When I do, it is usually for specific information (backlist). Now that all that type of information is available on Amazon, I think most people just stay there.

I guess my point is, if the real goal is the 'eventual sales' the site hits might not be entirely relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.