PDA

View Full Version : What other writing sites are you a part of?

Almondjoy
12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Hello there!

I was just wondering if any of you are a part of another writing forum, or website besides AW. I know of a few other ones besides this one. Is it worth joining any more writing communities, or is it better to just be a part of one? And which particular sites are you a part of?

Thanks in advance everyone!

OhTheHorror
12-28-2012, 05:29 AM
Meh, I mostly hang out here. I'm a member to The Horror Writer's Association group on FaceBook but that's it.

shadowwalker
12-28-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm on three other writing sites. Sometimes it gets a bit repetitious because people will post the same questions on several, or the same types of questions get asked, but it's also nice getting different perspectives.

Ellaroni
12-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I registered on another site the same day as I registered here, but I've never been anywhere but here so far. It takes time to be active on a forum, so I find it better to stick to one per interest and take it from there.

Atalanta
12-29-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm an active member on the NaNoWriMo forums, but it's pretty dead in the off-season (i.e., every month except November) and I'm not even sure I'll participate next year. I also belong to a NaNo-related crit site and intend on joining critters.org when I'm finished with the first-draft of my WIP.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's better to focus on one site at a time -- whichever is most active and rewarding. I just don't have the energy to do otherwise.

Liosse de Velishaf
12-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I used to be active on the NaNo forums, on writingforums.com, and writingforums.org. I rarely go to any of those anymore, because AW is just so much bigger and better. It's hard to be really active on multiple writing sites for a long period of time because you get tired of seeing the same questions over and over again. Plus, those other sites don't have nearly as good boards for individual genres.

izh34
12-29-2012, 07:16 AM
I used to be active on the NaNo forums, on writingforums.com, and writingforums.org. I rarely go to any of those anymore, because AW is just so much bigger and better. It's hard to be really active on multiple writing sites for a long period of time because you get tired of seeing the same questions over and over again. Plus, those other sites don't have nearly as good boards for individual genres.

Great tips there Liosse. I'm a newbie here and I can say better stick to one first until you get the hang of it. I prefer to stick with AW as I see there a lot of section here to talk about. Too much forums can get myself cluttered and unfocus.

reiver33
12-29-2012, 07:40 AM
www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum

ChristinaLayton
12-29-2012, 07:42 AM
writingforums.com

However I joined in February and I haven't posted anything ever since. That's when the MDD episode hit me hard, in March, and by the time I got through it, I didn't want to go back there. I'd even forgotten i was a member there. I had like 15 posts.

Tepelus
12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm a member on writingforums.com as well. For a long time I quit going to it because a) at the time it was full of immature posers just wanting to make trouble and it had an unfriendly vibe to it, and b) I had found AW and didn't want to go back. This board is more active and more informative, but I have gone back to the other now that it seems they've gotten rid of the riff raff. It's much more PG than it used to be. Not allowed to even use swear words (got a slap on the hand for my use of the word shit in one post, and using Krampus as my avi), which is okay, their forum, their rules. The peeps on there are nice and helpful, but it's just so slow. I check in there once or twice a day. Here, practically all day long.

Kewii
12-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I joined Critique Circle and the NaNo site. I haven't posted on Critique Circle, but I have critted there. I think it has it's uses, but I think you get a tougher response here. I plan to use it to polish my draft up before I use SYW here. I also like that it allows anonymous critiquing.

The NaNo site I only use for NaNo and I basically just lurk the forums.

Jon M
12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
The moderation at WF.com is a bit excessive (read: ban-happy), and I question what sense of the word they are a community. But there are a few terrific writers over there, folks I consider friends, and in the future can only see myself visiting to see what they're up to.

Sunwords
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Me, too, of course I use the NaNo-Forums, mostly in November, actually they are going to fall asleep, I think.
As I write in my motherlanguage, German, I am also a quite active member of a german forum - dsfo.de - which is very nice and very good. It is smaller than AW - no wonder, the number of ppl who read and write German is much smaller - much less international and so I like to read here for a more broad horizon. I still dream to write and publish in English, one day ....

GinnieHazel
12-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I signed up to literotica a while ago because I was looking for a more genre specific community, but I soon got the feeling that the website was more interested in getting people to post stories so they could put them on the site and sick banner ads all over them. I can understand that they want to make money but I want to be the one earning from my work.

I much prefer it here. It's much more of a community and it's big enough that I can still find people to talk to about the little genre topics.

Rubay H.
12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I hang out at the self-pub writers forum (Writers' Cafe) on the kindle boards. It's a great place to learn from self-pub's who have been at it for a while and know all the tricks of the trade and for passing along the latest selling strategies.
It's not exclusive to kindle either, a lot of the discussions are across all e-book platforms.

I go there for a nice hot sauna of self pub love and come here for the dip into the unheated pool of reality to cool off. :tongue

LJD
12-29-2012, 07:10 PM
none. haven't bothered looking for others. I don't want to waste too much time on the internet.
I forget where I heard about AW. Janet Reid's blog, maybe?

DeleyanLee
12-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I was active at FM (forwardmotion.com) for many years. Took and taught classes, however with successive software changes to the forum, I can't access it anymore without crashing my computer. I keep up with various friends from there off-site.

I spent more time in their chat (it's the best chat platform I've ever used) than on the forums in the last several years. I much prefer AW's forums because it's more active, the topics aren't as limiting (such as: no non-writing topics allowed, including games and fun stuff as we have in Office Party on FM), and I just plain like the vibe here better.

French Maiden
12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I've just recently joined an Australian writing forum: http://www.catplace.net/writer/phpbb/ it's pretty small, has only been around for a year or so. It's pretty quiet. I much prefer AW. It's always active, there is always something new. It's never dull around here, and I've gotten to know people and formed friendships through AW.

Kitty27
12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
I used to be active at WritersDigest.

Then I met AW and alas,things ended. I spend all of my time here.

quicklime
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
just this one.

Manuel Royal
12-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I know I've got a membership on a couple of other forums. Just can't remember what they are. I'm old.

Shay Dee
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm part on YouWriteOn, or I was, I don't use that site anymore.
It uses a point system when it comes to critiquing and a lot of people try to short cut that system by leaving the shortest of reviews just to get a point.
The other thing is the race to number one. There is a reward for being in the top five; a top agent reviews your chapters. But by then, you usually would have accumulated anything between 15 to 40 reviews and the agent would just be parroting what your previous critters have already said.
So I opted out.
And to be honest, this place is much better!

lolabelle
12-29-2012, 11:46 PM
I started on the querytracker site, but it took quite a while for anyone to reply, probably because it was less active. I've found this place to be far superior.

Linda Adams
12-29-2012, 11:55 PM
I was active at FM (forwardmotion.com) for many years. Took and taught classes, however with successive software changes to the forum, I can't access it anymore without crashing my computer.

You know they just went to a new platform right before Nano?

Parametric
12-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I've belonged to dozens of other forums, but this is hands down the best. Unfortunately, after 5+ years of AbsoluteWrite I still can't write, but I fear that may be user error. :tongue

I hang out at the self-pub writers forum (Writers' Cafe) on the kindle boards. It's a great place to learn from self-pub's who have been at it for a while and know all the tricks of the trade and for passing along the latest selling strategies.
It's not exclusive to kindle either, a lot of the discussions are across all e-book platforms.

I go there for a nice hot sauna of self pub love and come here for the dip into the unheated pool of reality to cool off. :tongue

I hang out there too from time to time. I'm a freelance editor working with Kindle authors so I need to keep up with the Kindle market. If you can take the self-publishing evangelists with a grain of salt, there's an absolute wealth of information there.

benluby
12-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Joined a couple others, but honestly? I've found more published writers here, and more people willing, and able, to offer advice and guidance.

BethS
12-30-2012, 02:45 AM
My main stomping ground is the Compuserve Books and Writers Forum. It is the oldest literary forum on the web, and I joined around 1996.

Filigree
12-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I've hung out in Sff.Net since 1996. I tried AgentQuery, but didn't use much beyond the listings. I'm thinking of joining Kristen Lamb's WANATribe for indie writers, but I'm researching it first.

Sunflowerrei
12-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Like many of you, I was active on the NaNo forums when I did NaNo. I signed up for writing.com, but didn't last long--I found the format and the website confusing and there's a word count limit on stories you can post. I found out about AW on romance author Meredith Duran's website. I plan on looking into Critters, maybe, in the new year.

meowzbark
12-30-2012, 09:58 PM
I know a few of you posted about Critters. Just wanted to share a warning. There's a lot of emails and that site is HELL to unsubscribe from. I still get about one email a week from them, although now I have it set to go to my spam folder.

So be careful which email you set up with Critters.

DeleyanLee
12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
You know they just went to a new platform right before Nano?

Yeppers. Which is when I started having the major problems. Not that I was hanging there much lately anyway. Chat had become banal more than interesting, so it wasn't much of an attraction anymore. I'm finding I don't miss it much.

Bushrat
12-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I've also tried CritiqueCircle, but don't find the gushing "oh that's such a wonderul story" crits there particularly helpful.