Death of the Verb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I am curious as to what other writers think about the first novel written without verbs.

First, there was the novel written without using the letter "e". Now a French author has produced what he claims is the first book with no verbs.

Perhaps inevitably, critics have commented unfavourably on the lack of action in Michel Thaler's work, The Train from Nowhere, which runs to 233 pages. Instead of action, lengthy passages are filled with florid adjectives in a series of vitriolic portraits of dislikeable passengers on a train.

In a typical piece of prose, Mr Thaler writes: ". . . Those women there, probably mothers, bearers of ideas far too voluminous for their brains of modest capacity."

A less-than-glowing review in the respected magazine Le Nouvel Observateur described his book as "disagreeable" and said its scathing descriptions of women travellers displayed "a rare misogyny".

Yet he is equally disparaging of male passengers. He describes one as a "large dwarf or small giant - a young buck with a gelled mop with ideas, at first glance, shorter than his hair, and not longer than the bristles on a toothbrush, perhaps shorter".

The author, a doctor of literature who admits that "Thaler" is a pseudonym, and who has not previously written books under the name, said it was liberating to write without verbs, which he describes as "invaders, dictators, and usurpers of our literature".

"My book is a revolution in the history of literature. It is the first book of its kind. It's daring, modern and is to literature what the great Dada and Surrealist movements were to art," said Mr Thaler, an eccentric who refuses to reveal his real name or age, beyond admitting to being in his sixties.

"The verb is like a weed in a field of flowers," he said. "You have to get rid of it to allow the flowers to grow and flourish.

-SNIP-

In France, with its long and distinguished literary heritage, the reading public is struggling to fathom whether the work is any more than an exercise in semantics and strangled grammar.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...r-publishes-the-first-book-without-verbs.html

From what I've read, the author acts like a twit, pretty much a walking cliche of the arrogant artist trope, and the book is nothing more than a bunch of descriptions and insults towards random people on a bus.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Truthfully? If people want to write gimmicky books, that's fine. But they needn't expect me to read them.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Some months ago I made reference to a novel I wrote that contains *only* the letter 'e'.

I can write a novel an hour. Here's an excerpt from my latest such creation, The Letter e.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee​

You'll never guess what happens at the climax. SPOILER WARNING: (One of the e's gets capitalized.)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
"large dwarf or small giant - a young buck with a gelled mop with ideas, at first glance, shorter than his hair, and not longer than the bristles on a toothbrush, perhaps shorter".
Does no verbs mean no editor?
And who talks about their own work as being daring, modern and comparable to Dada? lol so much.
The large dwarf or small giant thing is also completely meaningless. lol

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Does no verbs mean no editor?

It's really a surprise that a humble, level-headed gentleman such as him would think himself above the services of an editor! There must be a very good reason. Perhaps editors are the invaders, dictators, and usurpers of our literature!

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I think that's just silly.

Plus what kind of sense does this make?

"The verb is like a weed in a field of flowers," he said. "You have to get rid of it to allow the flowers to grow and flourish.

If you can't write a sentence attacking verbs without using FIVE of them ["is", "have to", "get rid", "grow", "flourish"].... maybe they do, ya know, serve a purpose.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Verbs can't die without a verb to do it with, can they?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for experimentation with language. But that doesn't mean that the outcome will always be good, or that it should necessarily be published and sold. And neither the book nor the author seem to have very good attitudes.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"I accidentally a novel!"
Verbs can't die without a verb to do it with, can they?
Verbs can make up two-thirds of very dramatic sentences:
Die, verb, die!"
I'm all for experimentation with language. But that doesn't mean that the outcome will always be good, or that it should necessarily be published and sold. And neither the book nor the author seem to have very good attitudes.
Oh, I don't see any problem with it being published, or being sold to a willing buyer. Good luck finding a willing buyer for this.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
What did the verbs ever do to him? Wait, he won't be able to tell us because describing action requires verbs. Oh, well. I didn't really care anyway.

Deleted member 42

"First they came for the verbs and I said nothing, for verbing weirds language. Then they arrival for the nouns and I speech nothing, for I no verbs."

Attributed to Peter Ellis (via Diane Duane)

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Does it count as disrespecting my fellow writer for me to say that I really like how he compares his work to "Dada and the Surrealist movements"? And the arrogance with which he says that verbs aren't really necessary to language?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably like the novel more if he wrote it using only verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.