PDA

View Full Version : What do you have planned?

Maze Runner
12-22-2012, 10:54 PM
A great holiday, Christmas or otherwise? "Great" in scale or just in merriment? Will you have a big party at your place, either on the Eve or on the 25th? A lot of family and friends? Will you have a small and intimate one instead? Will you be alone? I'm really curious about how people will observe the holiday or not. Anybody want to share their plans?

KellyAssauer
12-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.

Susan Littlefield
12-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Don and I will have brunch with family tomorrow morning, visit other family the next day, then spend a quiet eve and Christmas day at home. :)

kaitiepaige17
12-22-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!

Maryn
12-22-2012, 11:50 PM
We tend to go small. Our son, his girlfriend, and their rabbit should be here by dinner, after some travel tribulations yesterday. Our daughter lives in town and will be here most afternoons and evenings. We'll all cook together, including Roast Beast on Christmas day, and there will be wine, cheese, grapes, and board games, possibly also some movies. And, I sincerely hope, some down time for us all. None of us is terribly social and we find this sort of thing draining even thought we enjoy it.

The day after Christmas the out-of-towners depart, and New Year's Eve will be pretty quiet, with us at home with champagne and a themed movie if we can identify a good one.

Maryn, not a party person

Maze Runner
12-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!

Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!

Maze Runner
12-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.

Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?

kaitiepaige17
12-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!

Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays :D It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays :D It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.

Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?

kaitiepaige17
12-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?

I'm actually still in TN, just East TN, about an hour and half past Knoxville. I'm a wanderer, though, so I'm ready to move again. I'm looking to settle in Nashville once I graduate college. It's such a great city.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Oh, it's nice your so close to home, right? You get back often, stay in touch with old friends?

I went to school in the same city that I grew up in, but holidays were fun 'cause all the people that went to school out of town came home and would show up in the local bars.

A lottalotta fun!

Cliff Face
12-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st. ;)

KellyAssauer
12-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?

Small 'new music' club.
College - alt - punk.
The money's good.

Behind the bar would be way safer.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st. ;)

Sounds nice though.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Small 'new music' club.
College - alt - punk.
The money's good.

Behind the bar would be way safer.

Oh, sounds like a good place to hang.

Whattya mean, behind the bar would be much safer?

heyjude
12-23-2012, 01:18 AM
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 02:31 AM
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?

I love that kind of thing, too. Had a lot of Christmases like that. When I was growing up, our house was Christmas Eve Central, both sides of the family showed up, every one drank too much, ate too much, good for a lot of laughs and at least one blow up. Past couple of Christmases have been quiet and small, and this year will be the same. Something to it as well, but I prefer the other. Mary, huh? Oh Madone!

IAMWRITER
12-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Family get together and meal on Christmas Day.
Family get together and meal on New Year's Day.

Basic but very nice. Family is best part of the holidays for me.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 02:36 AM

No question. Is that extended family? A big one?

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 02:45 AM
should be a good one

druid12000
12-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Tomorrow we're having a big get together at my sister's house, immediate family and cousins, many dogs under foot. My brother-in-law's (I should just say brother) father is coming from Texas (we're in New Hampshire) and they don't really get along, so that should be interesting. One of my cousins and her family are coming from California. I see her about once every two years, so it will be nice to catch up.
Christmas Eve...not sure. One of my sisters is an RN and I think she may be working and I'm not sure where we're going for Christmas Day. My family is horrible with communication and last minute changes of plans.
Anyway, it should be fun.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

GailD
12-23-2012, 04:21 AM

Ditto.

Two, of my three daughters, live in London, UK and neither of them can be here for Christmas this year so it will be quiet. But both of them are coming home for a vacation early in February. :snoopy: I'm thinking about putting the tree back up and having another Christmas with all the trimmings then. :D

Write_Askew
12-23-2012, 04:59 AM
I celebrated my personal holiday yesterday, like KellyAssuer did. My family, however, celebrates Christmas. I'll go to midnight mass with my FIL and then we'll have a traditional Christmas breakfast with my MIL.

My mom, who isn't big on planning, has decided to "play it fast and loose" this year. So I have no idea what will happen there. My friends have a bad habit of taking bets on when she'll call to make plans. Thus far, she's outdone herself. No one bet she would wait this long. On the other hand, any chance to see her is nice. I shouldn't complain. Not too long ago she would have skipped it altogether.

Whatever happens, I'll surely be heading out to see Les Miserables sometime on the 25th.

GailD- you should totally do that. They'd love it, I'm sure. My friends and I always have Christmas in August because all of us have so many plans (most of them include travel) during the holidays. It means a lot no matter what day it is.

Ken
12-23-2012, 05:07 AM
... though not of the corresponding faith, am going to a small get-together at a pal's.
Looking forward to it and finding out what they've been up to of late.

Amanda R.
12-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Alas, my husband and I have to work on Christmas Day (China just doesn't observe it), but we will be leaving next Saturday for 2 weeks in Thailand! I'm so excited. This is a dream vacation for me that I have been fantasizing about for years and planning for months! Counting down the hours...

bettielee
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I won't be doing anything more than writing and watching movies

Not able to go up north and see the fam, so I'm having Spinster Christmas! going to write, write, write and eat some French Toast.

druid12000
12-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I actually wish I was going to have a mellow, 'easy' holiday. Every year it gets more complicated. My sister is, pardon the term, a Nazi, when it comes to Christmas.

Ok, yeah, that's a weird visual, but she gets so stressed out about how everything is supposed to be, and forgets about how it should be. Like just family getting together and having fun.

I miss that.

IAMWRITER
12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
No question. Is that extended family? A big one?

Not really, just my parents and my brothers and their famillies. So much fun. We even dust off the board games which turns into an absolute war - we are a very competitive lot!

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Not really, just my parents and my brothers and their famillies. So much fun. We even dust off the board games which turns into an absolute war - we are a very competitive lot!

Ha, yeah. We had some deadly games of charades over the years. Have a crazy uncle who took it very big. If he caught someone cheating- which we did, intending for him to catch us- he'd yell at the top of his lungs- "You sonofabiiiitch!"

DeleyanLee
12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Housemate is going to her mom's for family to-do, so I'll be alone most of the day. Will probably heat up some coffee cake (Housemate can't have it--medical reasons) and enjoy while playing video games or watch a movie or listen to music (all of which Housemate doesn't enjoy) or maybe write. Having the house to myself for many hours is a wonderful thing.

When she gets home, we have steaks to cook and then we'll probably go out and see Les Mis.

As for New Year's, I volunteered to work both the eve and the day, since I don't go out and party (I haven't seen a New Year's come in in over a decade--and happy for it), so I figured that I'd let those who want to have the days off. *shrug*

In my family, Christmas is all about kids opening presents, so it hasn't been that exciting for me in a long time.

Maze Runner
12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Housemate is going to her mom's for family to-do, so I'll be alone most of the day. Will probably heat up some coffee cake (Housemate can't have it--medical reasons) and enjoy while playing video games or watch a movie or listen to music (all of which Housemate doesn't enjoy) or maybe write. Having the house to myself for many hours is a wonderful thing.

When she gets home, we have steaks to cook and then we'll probably go out and see Les Mis.

As for New Year's, I volunteered to work both the eve and the day, since I don't go out and party (I haven't seen a New Year's come in in over a decade--and happy for it), so I figured that I'd let those who want to have the days off. *shrug*

In my family, Christmas is all about kids opening presents, so it hasn't been that exciting for me in a long time.

Yeah, I can appreciate that house to yourself stuff. Truth is, I've been encouraging my small small family to go to a relative's on Christmas Eve- mainly so I'd have a better shot at ignoring the whole thing. I could end up alone too, and with no pressure whatsoever to be merry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJzm1_5pBXc

adarkfox
12-24-2012, 06:48 AM
In-laws tomorrow. My own family on the 25th.

This time of year husband and I consider moving a lot.

Chasing the Horizon
12-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Luckily, I'm pagan, so my holiday was the 21st. I say luckily because my mom and I are both working on the 24th and 25th. In fact, everyone is working so much on the 25th that I'm going to go get Asian take-out for dinner because there won't even be time to cook. Christmas pays double, ya know. ;) That's the great thing about being a different religion--they pay you extra to work days which mean nothing to you. I'm going to see Les Mis on the 26th and the Hobbit for New Years, though. Though I'd go see both if it weren't the holidays too, so I'm not sure that counts.

I might go see the midnight fireworks for New Years. I won't decide for sure until 11pm on News Years Eve (because I never decide stuff ahead of time if I'm doing it alone, lol). I don't like people, so I won't be partying or anything.

BigWords
12-24-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm about a quarter of the way through my movie marathon already. At this rate I'll be reduced to seeing in the New Year with the stack of Asylum DVDs...

Shadow_Ferret
12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Great? No. We have to spend it with the in-laws and hope a fight doesn't break out.

Chris P
12-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Probably on my own, which is not a big deal for me. I plan on doing some bike riding (once the rain lets up), reading, and probably hanging out in some chat rooms online and of course I'll call the parents (their anniversary is the 26th). I might treat myself to an expensive meal in town, but I'm not sure if places close down around here on Christmas. Just go with the flow and see what happens!

Oh yeah, it seems I like to write in my spare time, so I might do some of that too.

BeatrixKiddo
12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I ain't got no plans...which is the best plan. Mostly catching up on sleep and being lazy my days off. I don't have to go Christmas shopping, I don't have to travel through the airports, I can just sit on my fat booty and relax. Ah, the benefits of no kids or extended family around the holidays can be quite nice.

:D

Maze Runner
12-24-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm about a quarter of the way through my movie marathon already. At this rate I'll be reduced to seeing in the New Year with the stack of Asylum DVDs...

What kinds of things have you watched?

Maze Runner
12-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Great? No. We have to spend it with the in-laws and hope a fight doesn't break out.

Yours or hers?

Maze Runner
12-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I ain't got no plans...which is the best plan. Mostly catching up on sleep and being lazy my days off. I don't have to go Christmas shopping, I don't have to travel through the airports, I can just sit on my fat booty and relax. Ah, the benefits of no kids or extended family around the holidays can be quite nice.

:D

Sounds absolutely healing...

Just how fat is your booty?

BigWords
12-24-2012, 09:35 PM
What kinds of things have you watched?

Face/Off, the complete Batman collection, Alien quadrilogy (and some of the bonus material), Red, The Fly (Cronenberg), Timecop, Terminator Salvation, The Losers, Burn After Reading, Pi... Working through the things I haven't seen in over a year mainly, and I'm starting to understand why I haven't revisited them sooner.

The Tyburn DVDs are actually starting to look appealing. May sneak them in before I'm reduced to watching Asylum DVDs.

Maze Runner
12-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Face/Off, the complete Batman collection, Alien quadrilogy (and some of the bonus material), Red, The Fly (Cronenberg), Timecop, Terminator Salvation, The Losers, Burn After Reading, Pi... Working through the things I haven't seen in over a year mainly, and I'm starting to understand why I haven't revisited them sooner.

The Tyburn DVDs are actually starting to look appealing. May sneak them in before I'm reduced to watching Asylum DVDs.

I haven't seen even one of these movies...

I really have to broaden my horizons.