Word Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I've completed a contemporary which I've targeted for Harlequin's new "Romance" line to debut in September, and I struggled to get to the minimum length of 50K.

My question is this: If Harlequin declines, have I boxed myself in because of the short length? It seems like most of the other publishers want longer stuff.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'd have to say yes, at least as far as most of the traditional print publishers (who want from 80-100K). That's not to say that it couldn't find a home with some of the electronic presses. Even if it's not spicy, there are quite a few places that take "novella" length. While 50K is long for a novella, (normally they end at 30K), odd sizes sometimes fit well. Wander back out to the main Romance index and look for my post "Where to Sell your Novel or Story" thread. I've listed quite a few target publishers who want shorter things.

However, if you want to go with traditional print and H/S (Harlequin/Silhouette) doesn't bite, you might also consider lengthening it with some subplots and turn it into a single title book.

In either case, good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.