PDA

View Full Version : Question About an Offer



Undercover
12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?

NicolaD
12-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Absolutely let the other agents with your ms know you have an offer. They can then decide if they want to pass/see more/make an offer as well. I think 1-2 weeks is fairly standard in terms of time. It may not get you favourable answers from the others, but it sure as heck speeds up the process when you have an offer on the table.

waylander
12-22-2012, 12:18 AM
What she said.
You must inform the other agents who are considering your work.

And congratulations

ARoyce
12-22-2012, 01:31 AM
I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?

Congratulations!

(A word of caution: it might not be diplomatic to mention that you'd rather go with someone else. While it may be unlikely that the agents in question would find this, it's not impossible.)

Rather than ask the others if they want to upgrade, I'd email them an update with the subject line "offer of rep." If they're interested, they'll move more quickly.

While 1-2 weeks seems standard, I'm not sure if that's enough due to the holidays...maybe request a response by Jan. 11? Whatever date you suggest, you should also make sure that's okay with the agent who has already offered.

Getting an offer of rep won't necessarily get more favorable responses, but it will get you faster responses than the average querier.

Congrats again and good luck with the others!

Undercover
12-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I informed the other agents and one got back to me right away asking for the full. And we're on the same wave length ARoyce, I asked if it could be read by Jan 10th. The date just popped in my head, probably should have looked at the calender first.

The full request was just earlier today and she mentioned she'd get back to me sometime early January. Should I still mention it to her? I feel weird telling her today when she JUST requested it. Would telling her next week (after xmas) be better?

wampuscat
12-22-2012, 01:45 AM
I've read that agents consider it common courtesy to be informed when there is an offer of rep out on an ms they are considering.

ETA: Congrats!

Corinne Duyvis
12-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Normally January 10th would be very lenient--one week is standard--but given the holidays, it makes sense.

If you've recently queried an agent you really love and haven't gotten a response yet, you can contact them, as well. I did that when I got my offer, and it resulted in a second offer.

Smiley0501
12-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Congrats! I second all the others above me - let all the other agents know you have an offer (even those with a partial or full). Good luck! :D

FCameron
12-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Congratulations!

Old Hack
12-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Definitely let all the other agents who have expressed interest know that you have an offer of representation. You don't have to tell them who it is who has offered, of course, although some of them might ask.

Don't forget to check out the offering agent, if you haven't done so already. Signing with an agent is a big deal, and you don't want to sign with one who isn't going to do an excellent job for you.