PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Beta Reader - YA Contemporary Fantasy

ThatKnight64
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello all, I'm Dennison. I'm new here and this is my first stab at this(from the Author Pov). I'm looking for a Beta Reader(s)/Critique for my first YA Novel. It's planned to be book one in a four book series.
Knight: The Kindling
Basic Info:
Genre: YA Contemporary Fantasy ||
Sub Genre: Action/Adventure/Humor ||
Word Count: 62,000 ||

Synopsis (Stolen from my Query Letter Rough Draft):
The power is out, the monsters are roaming, and the leaders of the world are stuck in the dark.
Tristan, Maggie and Alex are a little anti-social, a little nerdy and a little withdrawn; none of them are likely save the world candidates. When events hurl them from save your sister, to save your school bus, to save your neighbor… they cannonball into the outrageous position of the world’s only hope.
Their determination to do their best and some quirky, out-of-this-world help, is their only chance as the entire world takes a plunge down the rabbit hole.
First Chapter Posted in SYW Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260762)

Some things I would like a Beta Read to do/look at:

Chapter by Chapter Review
Focus on the overall story, what works and what doesn't?
Does the humor come across well or does it fall flat?
Does the story flow well?
Do the characters seem believable and fleshed out?
Are the fight scenes fun and engaging?
Are there any plot holes?
Are the descriptions good or could they be stronger?
Character Voice Authentic?
Did you fall asleep in the middle of a chapter? :cry:

I'm trying to make the novel as good as it can possibly be. I would like people to give me their honest opinions(no hand-holding required). Tell me everything! This is my first go at this and I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm no J.K. Rowling(Although I want to be)! I want to improve and help my novel improve!

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from some of you!

Kerosene
12-20-2012, 02:18 PM
It helps a lot to post your first chapter up in the SYW section, to give people a taste and also to see if you can improve anywhere in the basic writing. You've got 50 posts already.