View Full Version : When to nudge after an agent has previously "lost" MS?

12-20-2012, 03:19 AM
Back in the summer, an agent requested a full MS but in her message, she asked me to be patient in terms of follow-up. So using the three-month rule of thumb, I waited an extra (i.e., fourth) month before I nudged.

The quick reply to my nudge was that she'd lost the original (emailed) MS, could I re-send? I did.

So now my question is whether, in these circumstances, etiquette would require me to wait another three or four months should it be necessary to nudge again, or is it reasonable to press for an answer sooner? I have two other MS's out there right now, but they're also at the nudge stage. So there's no burning need -- other than the desire for a timely answer.

12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Are you looking for an answer for acceptance or rejection? Or looking to confirm it was received.

I think in the first, you're going to have to suck it up and wait. Unfortunately, just because a mistake was made it probably doesn't mean it'll move your MS to the top of the pile.

If it's the latter, I'd go ahead and check to see if it was received.

12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Agree with Kewii. It's unfortunate that they lost it, but I'd assume the clock starts fresh with the new send.

It might be possible to confirm receipt of the ms at this point, but I wouldn't nudge on anything else.

12-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Well, I think if you had to wait four months only to find out they lost your MS, they probably owe you a little bit of a bump up the queue, to be honest. In the agent's position, I'd try to get back to you within a week or two. If you don't hear from them sooner I would suggest you could nudge in two months.

12-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I'd be nudging a different agent. That kind of conduct is unacceptable.