Editor or Publisher

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Recently the editor where I had my last book published left the house. Although the book is a couple of years old, I'll probably be assigned a new editor. Right now my old editor's assistant is apparently my contact there.

I have two projects I'd like to place (one fiction, one non-fiction) and I'm looking for a new agent. Would it be a good idea to approach the new editor with either or both of these ideas? I've also communicated with the publisher, who once recommended an agent to me. Would it be appropriate for me to reach out to the publisher before I get assigned a new editor?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Thanks for starting the new thread, popmuze (I was rooting ;) )

A couple of questions to your question:

1. How long ago did the publisher publish your current non-fiction book?

2. Is the NEW non-fiction book in the same category? (i.e., self-help to self-help or is one a coffee table art book and the other a political memoir?)

3. Does the publisher HAVE fiction imprints?

I'm never hesitant to capitalize on a good relationship. If the editor has retired or shifted companies on a good note, the assistant will probably be more than happy to work with you to try to place the new works.

The trouble might come if the editor left on a BAD note, though. Then, anything that that editor previously approved will be suspect. The problem is that you don't know which it is. Can you find out where the old editor WENT? I know of several authors that follow their editor from house to house. When a relationship works well, often the old editor would be thrilled to hear from you again at their new place of employ.

Just a few thoughts!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy,

To answer your questions.

The book was published in 2002 and is still in print. The new non-fiction book is on the same subject--my specialty--pop music (hence popmuze).

Actually, this editor was my fourth on the book, the acquiring editor having long since retired into the ether (where all my other editors reside). This fourth editor told me his assistant would be taking over my book (whatever responsibilities that might entail) and that another editor would eventually be appointed. My feeling is this editor may not be leaving of his own accord, but I could be wrong. Anyway, he's not going to another house.

My question is whether I should write to the publisher, both to mention that I'll need a new editor, and alert him to the new project. Yes, they do fiction, and I could also mention my novel in the note (it's got a music setting).

The other options are to write to the assistant, or to wait until I get a new editor assigned, which may take months, if it happens at all.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, if I were in your same position (so take this advice with a spoonful of salt), I would probably contact the assistant and ask, with the editor moving, who in the company the next manuscript should be submitted to. It implies (but doesn't specifically STATE) that you'd already discussed the matter with one of the previous editors. Since there have been several, and you already have one book accepted, the assistant will most likely have you get in touch with a senior editor or someone higher than a slush reader. If specifically asked who you talked to, don't lie, but I presume that you at least mentioned the possibility of another book to one of them. Yes?

As for the fiction book, hold off for a bit. I know it's hard, but if you can get the second non-fiction lined up, you'll be in a better position -- whether it's with THIS publisher or the next one to find a willing reader for the novel. Non-fiction credits don't really have any bearing on fiction, but the longer you're with a publisher, the more likely they are to consider keeping you in the "stable" on different projects. And, the more likely that another publisher or agent will be willing to give it a read.

Again, FWIW!

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Something else to think about--how big is the publisher? is it one of the biggies where there are lots of people, or is it small enough that the publisher will know who you are and your situation? If it's small, I'd actually bypass the assistant and go to the publisher to mention the new nf. If it's a big one, then I'd take Cathy's advice. I would also wait on the fiction, since it seems scattershot to say, "And if you don't like the nonfiction I have a great novel you can look at, instead." Good luck!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the biggies, however, on my last book I did have some interaction with the publisher (maybe he's not the publisher, but the head of the division or something like that).

In fact, when I wrote to him saying I didn't feel the book was getting enough attention because I'd already lost three editors, he wrote me a long email back detailing their plans to pay some attention to the book. Later, when I wrote to him saying I was looking for a new agent, he passed along a name. So there's a little bit of history.

On the other hand, I've never met the assistant to my fourth editor (and I only met the fourth editor a couple of times, which was two more times than I met the third editor).

This is why I'm leaning toward going right to the top guy. If he passed my project down to an editor, my feeling is it would have more of a shot than if an assistant tried to work it through the pipeline the other way.

But I don't want to shoot myself in the foot or anywhere else.