2012's Worst Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're all writers, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds words and their meanings fascinating.

Well, I thought this article was interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/z-guide-2012s-worst-words-173255564.html

It's an A to Z list of the "worst" words of the year. Some of them are kind of funny (butt-chugging, baby bump) and ridiculous, but some of them make you think more toward the context of the word than the actual word itself.

For example, the word "curvy" is listed. My first thought was how is that word bad?

But the explanation makes sense;

Adjective to describe female bodies. As writer and editor Lauren Bans recently pointed out in New York's The Cut, we appear to be at peak curviness, that is, in terms of using this word to describe the female form, whatever that form might be. Has curvy lost all meaning, and if it has, is this a bad thing?

I haven't read the whole thing. I don't really have time while at work. But I will, and I thought it may spark an interesting conversation.

What do you believe are the worst words of this year? Do you agree with this list?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Read it all. And I like the disclaimer at the end:

All in all, it was a very good (bad?) word year. Disclaimer: Simply because a word appears above does not mean we will cease to use it. That's just the way the word world works.

There were quite a few I've never heard because, I guess, I'm not part of the Twitter community and not a huge presence on FB either. Like "Zero, inbox." Weird. I can see how that would get annoying.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Ohmygosh if I turn on the news one more time and hear something about THE FISCAL CLIFF I'm gonna throw a stiletto through the TV.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Ohmygosh if I turn on the news one more time and hear something about THE FISCAL CLIFF I'm gonna throw a stiletto through the TV.

Have you ever seen the kids' TV show, Between the Lions? There's this cartoon that plays periodically, Cliff Hanger. It has this catchy little theme song:

Cliff Hanger
Hanging from a cliff
And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger!

(Can't. Hold. On. Much. LONGER!)

We've all taken to singing that song every time someone mentions The Fiscal Cliff. Makes the whole thing much more entertaining.

Personal Prose

Registered
Reaction score
Please do not take this in bad taste, for my intention is not. There is only one worst word for 2012...Sandy.

My heart, prayers and hugs go to all involved.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohmygosh, if I turn on the news one more time and hear something about THE FISCAL CLIFF I'm gonna throw a stiletto through the TV.

*Grabs the stiletto outta Frankie's hand*

I hate it too, but Girlfriend, it ain't worth ruining a perfectly good shoe. ;)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
*Grabs the stiletto outta Frankie's hand*

I hate it too, but Girlfriend, it ain't worth ruining a perfectly good shoe. ;)

Don't destroy a good shoe!!! I love shoes!!!!

Personally, I will not be upset if I never hear the word "epic" again. It was funny the first few times Neil Patrick Harris said it on "How I Met Your Mother," but after that...OMG give it up already!

And yeah...fiscal cliff is getting old too. But we won't hear the end of it until after January 1. Because you know our leaders won't make a decision until the very last minute...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it has to be absolutely.

I was listening to a radio interview this week, and the woman said it 6 times in the course of a 2-minute conversation. :flag:

(Yes, I counted) :D

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
"Epic" and "literally" get on my nerves.

That party was epic! Really? Over-exaggerate much?

I literally wanted to claw her face. Really? Rage issues?

Those were the only two on the list that caught my attention.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
For example, the word "curvy" is listed. My first thought was how is that word bad?

Since curvy is the antithesis of 'heroin chic', I'm all for it. In describing the female form, it fits nicely between 'slender' and 'fat', though some people think of it as a euphemism for fat. Most female actresses from the 1960s, eg, Marilyn Monroe, would fit in this category.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The words Gangnam and style make me want to stab out my own eyes.

You beat me to it. When I hear those words a vile fury comes over me and I start incinerating cuddly toys with a flame thrower.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Since curvy is the antithesis of 'heroin chic', I'm all for it. In describing the female form, it fits nicely between 'slender' and 'fat', though some people think of it as a euphemism for fat. Most female actresses from the 1960s, eg, Marilyn Monroe, would fit in this category.

The problem is in the use of the word - I for one get heartily sick of seeing slim celebs being described as being 'curvy' when they have boy hips and boobs you don't need a bra for.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

The problem is in the use of the word - I for one get heartily sick of seeing slim celebs being described as being 'curvy' when they have boy hips and boobs you don't need a bra for.

I agree with both these assessments, but I guess, to me, an appropriate use for the word curvy would be yes, someone like Marilyn Monroe. Or myself. Women with an hourglass figure. Whether overweight or slim. Because it's possible to be curvy and slim or curvy and overweight.

I think it's also used way too often to describe overweight women in general. "Curvy" is used to replace the word "overweight." I understand not wanting to use the word "overweight", but "curvy" isn't automatically appropriate just because a woman is large. Sometimes, an obese woman has the same straight figure without a waist as an ultra skinny model. You know what I mean?

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Epic. I personally love the word, but throwing the adjective around doesn't make it necessarily epic.

Last edited:

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score

As someone with "boy hips and boobs you don't need a bra for", I'm sick of the word 'curvy' used as a stick to bash skinny women with. The idea that replacing one restrictive standard of beauty with another is somehow a positive move just makes my brain hurt. "Real women have curves!" "Men want curves, not bones!" Oh, piss off. Just piss off. Body fascism doesn't cease to be any less wrong just because the body type changes, just because it's more attainable for the average woman. Wake me up when something truly progressive comes along - like, I don't know, 'all body types are pretty fucking awesome in their own way.'

/end rant

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Fiscal cliff doesn't bother me so much as every news show ever using the phrase "pain at the pump" as a title whenever gas prices go up.

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
As someone with "boy hips and boobs you don't need a bra for", I'm sick of the word 'curvy' used as a stick to bash skinny women with. The idea that replacing one restrictive standard of beauty with another is somehow a positive move just makes my brain hurt. "Real women have curves!" "Men want curves, not bones!" Oh, piss off. Just piss off. Body fascism doesn't cease to be any less wrong just because the body type changes, just because it's more attainable for the average woman. Wake me up when something truly progressive comes along - like, I don't know, 'all body types are pretty fucking awesome in their own way.'

/end rant

All this. Yes.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
First in defense of 'curvy'. Ladies, lumping all men in the group that likes 'curvy' is rather crass. A friend of mine likes what he classifies as 'curvy', and let me tell you, they are about as curvy as a beach ball.
Another likes what he classifies as 'athletic', which it sounds like you'd fall in.
But to claim all men like 'curvy' is like saying all men like the color blue. That's wonderful. But...which shade? (And women classify men pretty much the same way. It's funny, but true.)
I hate fiscal cliff. But worse than that? Mandate. I am SO tired of someone claiming that, since they had a slight victory, be it anything under fifteen percent, they suddenly claim they have some 'mandate' to do as they wish.
Or YOLO. I wish they'd hurry up and get their 'one' over with.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
TLDY. Acronym used by the weary and disaffected. The shortening of several words that are admittedly difficult to concentrate long enough to spell out, this is my vote for the Internet's worst comment, and it means Too Long, Didn't Read. (Thanks for commenting, though!)

Oh for fuck's sake.

Firstly, the acronym is "tl;dr" which should be obvious because there is no "Y" in the word "read."

Secondly, it refers not to the laziness of the reader but to the longwinded and/or passive-aggressive nature of the word spew, usually accompanied by a critical failure to break paragraphs.

I don't like them either, but at least get the term right.

Status
Not open for further replies.