police responses to large crime scenes

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When there's a large crime scene that involves multiple emergency responders, how do they create a chain of command? Who takes the lead and starts delegating tasks to the other emergency responders?

If you're a random police officer and you're called to this crime scene, what do you do? I assume you'd have to look for the person in charge to get your "assignment". True?

(I know the timing of this is awful, and I promise I'm not trying to be insensitive. Just really stuck on this scene.)

melindamusil

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, guys - this is really getting in my head! :-/
Yes, this is in America. Current era. Specific location, it's not set in stone so I could change it, but right now I'm thinking the Boston area.
Thanks,
Melinda

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
In our local police force if the officer is the first on scene, one of the people he has to notify is his patrol supervisor (that’s generally a sergeant in our PD, but the title can vary from agency to agency). The patrol supervisor supervises the uniformed police response and works with other responding police units, like Homicide, depending on what they need.
Depending on the scenario, a lieutenant or a captain could also be called in to take over. Until the supervising officer arrives, the first responding officer has command of the scene. If the officer arrives at the scene later, he should find the supervising officer who’ll tell him what to do.

If it’s a multi-agency response scenario we model our command structure after FEMA’s Incident Management System that jclarkdawe has already linked to.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
So sorry, guys - this is really getting in my head! :-/
Yes, this is in America. Current era. Specific location, it's not set in stone so I could change it, but right now I'm thinking the Boston area.
Thanks,
Melinda

That's ok. It just helps to know where it is. I'm in England so me telling you how it works here is a waste of your time.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
In the US, the agency that first receives the complaint and/or is the first responder has de facto command of the scene/incident. The command may ratchet up the ranks within that department depending on the arrival of more senior (in rank) personnel, and applicable departmental policy.

Overlapping and/or concurrent jurisdictions (municipal, county, state, federal) are common, so mutually beneficial cooperative support actions (think ad hoc task force comprised of responding units) are generally the rule. At some point it may be pragmatic for the agency with appropriate jurisdiction and the most available resources to assume command at the request of the the original agency - there's a protocol that is observed, usually found or drafted in a memorandum of understanding in regard to critical incidents.

There are such contingency plans in place, but a public forum is not the place to ferret out details that may be considered confidential/classified.

If you locate the event in a particular state, I'd recommend making inquiries with the agencies you would potentially involve. The respective Public Information Officer (PIO) would see that you are afforded all the pertinent information you're allowed.