• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for betas for first three chapters of YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyest Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I've never worked with a beta before, but I think the first three chapters of my YA Fantasy could use one. I find them by far the most problematic of the WIP, likely for all the reasons the first chapters would be - concerns about exposition and it maybe not being hook-y right away, etc. I also have some concerns about length - the first three chapters combined are about 24k. Now, it's not really that the book is super long, it's just that I have fewer chapters (it'll probably shake out to about a dozen) and they're a little longer. But I don't know if that's a problem.

Anyway, any takers? Not sure how this works!

SAppleyard

Making friends with the Deadly Sins
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to be a Beta-Reader. What kind of critique's are you looking for? As in how blunt or not blunt of comments?

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Slyest Fox. Do you have a link to a chapter of the MS in SYW? It'd be helpful to see an example of the work you'd like to be critiqued. Also, a synopsis or description of the story would be nice.

Slyest Fox

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to be a Beta-Reader. What kind of critique's are you looking for? As in how blunt or not blunt of comments?
Bluntness is totally fine. I mean, don't try to crush my soul or anything, but I definitely would like honesty. My biggest concern is about how the story, scenes and chapters are structured. For instance, there's some POV shifting which everyone always cautions me about, but it very necessary for the story since no one's around for the entire thing.

Last edited:

SAppleyard

Making friends with the Deadly Sins
Registered
Reaction score
No worries I would never try to crush anyone's soul. I'm definitely up for helping out with your structure fears. If you wanna pm me we can talk about how you wanna set this up if you want my help? :D

ursae

Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking for beta readers, I'd be willing to try it out. PMing you.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also read it, just send it to me. I will let you know how it seems to me, as a reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.