PDA

View Full Version : Looking for betas for first three chapters of YA Fantasy

Slyest Fox
12-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi! I've never worked with a beta before, but I think the first three chapters of my YA Fantasy could use one. I find them by far the most problematic of the WIP, likely for all the reasons the first chapters would be - concerns about exposition and it maybe not being hook-y right away, etc. I also have some concerns about length - the first three chapters combined are about 24k. Now, it's not really that the book is super long, it's just that I have fewer chapters (it'll probably shake out to about a dozen) and they're a little longer. But I don't know if that's a problem.

Anyway, any takers? Not sure how this works!

SAppleyard
12-17-2012, 02:59 AM
I'd be willing to be a Beta-Reader. What kind of critique's are you looking for? As in how blunt or not blunt of comments?

frankiebrown
12-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Hi, Slyest Fox. Do you have a link to a chapter of the MS in SYW? It'd be helpful to see an example of the work you'd like to be critiqued. Also, a synopsis or description of the story would be nice.

Slyest Fox
12-18-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd be willing to be a Beta-Reader. What kind of critique's are you looking for? As in how blunt or not blunt of comments?Bluntness is totally fine. I mean, don't try to crush my soul or anything, but I definitely would like honesty. My biggest concern is about how the story, scenes and chapters are structured. For instance, there's some POV shifting which everyone always cautions me about, but it very necessary for the story since no one's around for the entire thing.

Slyest Fox
12-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Hi, Slyest Fox. Do you have a link to a chapter of the MS in SYW? It'd be helpful to see an example of the work you'd like to be critiqued. Also, a synopsis or description of the story would be nice.Ah, sure, here's a link to a portion of Chapter 1: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238322

SAppleyard
12-18-2012, 12:53 AM
No worries I would never try to crush anyone's soul. I'm definitely up for helping out with your structure fears. If you wanna pm me we can talk about how you wanna set this up if you want my help? :D

ursae
12-22-2012, 10:59 AM
If you're still looking for beta readers, I'd be willing to try it out. PMing you.

haunted
12-24-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd also read it, just send it to me. I will let you know how it seems to me, as a reader.

Brilliance
01-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Me! Pick me! I write YA fantasy too (well, mostly paranormal, which is a subgenre).