I self-published and lived to tell the tale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Wimberly

Registered
Reaction score
About two months ago, I self-published Sobornost through Kindle, Pub It!, Smashwords, and Kobo. Here's my take on my experience up to this point:

The pros

-I published a book before I turned 40 which was a nice birthday present to me.

-I have readers in the UK, Russia, Pakistan, and Nigeria, so I can technically say I'm an international...seller? (What do you call yourself when you're not a best-seller?)

-I have received a few fan e-mails.

-A book club contacted me to say that they picked my book for their December pick. I'm sitting in on their discussion (via phone) later this month.

-I've learned enough about myself that I'm comfortable writing another book. I began outlining it a few weeks ago.

The cons

-I'm still obscure in that I'm hovering at only 50 sales across all markets.

-I'm still learning what works wrt promotion, so I feel like I'm lost in the woods without a map.

-Getting blogs to want to review your stuff is a lot harder than you'd think.

What I've learned

-Some advertisement actually does work. In fact, here's a tip: If you're going to spend money to promote, let your first dollars go to The Frugal Ereader. I got good results from them and will be going back to them in the future.

-GoodReads is invaluable.

-Get a proofreader before you hit publish. Before I published, I sent my mobi file to a friend of mine who owns a Kindle, and she spotted some things that I was able to clean up before going live.

-Get as much editing as you can afford.

-Get a good cover artist.

My advice to budding authors at this point is this: If you have the time and patience, get an agent and try the trade route first. I have learned very acutely the value of agents and publishers.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting your first novel published. I'm haapy for you and wish you great success! I'll be following your thread.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and well done, delighted for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.