Literary Agent (Nebraska)

ajshirle

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Does anyone know of a Literary Agent in the Lincoln, Nebraska area or surrounding cities? I have had no luck with locating one for non-fiction/self help.

Thank you,
Angela

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :)

Are you trying to find an agent who lives close to you? That's really not necessary, all communication goes via email and phone.
One place to find agents representing your genre is to look here http://querytracker.net/literary_agents.php
And you may want to check here http://pred-ed.com/pubagent.htm if the agencies you're considering contacting are trustworthy.

Good luck :)

ajshirle

Registered
Reaction score

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
aj,

agreeing with the others,

1. you can communicate with an agent electronically, and almost everyone does now

2. the best are generally in NY, because that's where the publishers are, and you WANT that person who actually meets in person, does lunches with, etc. various editors.....that sort of connection is one major part of what you are trading your 15% for

ajshirle

Registered
Reaction score
Reply to Quicklime

aj,

agreeing with the others,

1. you can communicate with an agent electronically, and almost everyone does now

2. the best are generally in NY, because that's where the publishers are, and you WANT that person who actually meets in person, does lunches with, etc. various editors.....that sort of connection is one major part of what you are trading your 15% for

Thanks Quicklime!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
aj,

when all you reply tith is a 2-word thank you, it gets sort of hard to peg where you're coming from, if you "get it," etc.....

if you don't mind, can you tell us why you were seeking a NE-based agent?

ajshirle

Registered
Reaction score
Reply to Quicklime

aj,

when all you reply tith is a 2-word thank you, it gets sort of hard to peg where you're coming from, if you "get it," etc.....

if you don't mind, can you tell us why you were seeking a NE-based agent?

Hi Quicklime:

Not quite sure where you are coming from and at the age of 54 have learn't not to let folks rattle my cage. I will go ahead and give more details, not that I think it is required or needed. A simple thanks should be enough.

I am looking for a Literary Agent for a non-fiction self-help book. Publisher requires one but will not refer one due to conflict of interest issues. Living in Lincoln, Nebraska - would be great to have a Literary Agent close by.

From the posts, New York seems to be the way to go.

Now let us be "nice" and "welcome" new members = thought about deleting my account after reading your post. Sometimes we need to step back and allow people to be who there are.

I am one of few words, but appreciative of folks and what they have to throw my way.

Have an AWESOME day/night - I am!

Thanks,
Angela

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
ummm, I don't believe I asked anything particularly invasive. I suggested a bit more info can help inform the answers you are getting. You are absolutely correct in that you are not required to elaborate, but nobody is required to answer, either, and yet you seem to hope they'd humor you--it seems a relatively reasonable trade, from my end, that if you want information you give enough for the answers you're seeking to be informed. For example, the fact you believe an agent close by would be an asset brings the fairly important (I'd think) question of what you expect to get from an agent where this matters. That doesn't mean you have to answer, but if it is "so it is easier to just run over and ask them stuff" for example, it might be worth you knowing that's not how agents work, no? Nobody is trying to somehow manhandle you here, but if you want help, knowing where you're coming from/what you want is sort of important.

ajshirle

Registered
Reaction score
Reply to Quicklime

ummm, I don't believe I asked anything particularly invasive. I suggested a bit more info can help inform the answers you are getting. You are absolutely correct in that you are not required to elaborate, but nobody is required to answer, either, and yet you seem to hope they'd humor you--it seems a relatively reasonable trade, from my end, that if you want information you give enough for the answers you're seeking to be informed. For example, the fact you believe an agent close by would be an asset brings the fairly important (I'd think) question of what you expect to get from an agent where this matters. That doesn't mean you have to answer, but if it is "so it is easier to just run over and ask them stuff" for example, it might be worth you knowing that's not how agents work, no? Nobody is trying to somehow manhandle you here, but if you want help, knowing where you're coming from/what you want is sort of important.

Hi Quickline:

Again, thank you for your answer - much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Angela

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score

Hey. Quit weaponizing your education, QL! ;)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Quicklime:

Not quite sure where you are coming from and at the age of 54 have learn't not to let folks rattle my cage. I will go ahead and give more details, not that I think it is required or needed. A simple thanks should be enough.

I am looking for a Literary Agent for a non-fiction self-help book. Publisher requires one but will not refer one due to conflict of interest issues. Living in Lincoln, Nebraska - would be great to have a Literary Agent close by.

Now let us be "nice" and "welcome" new members = thought about deleting my account after reading your post. Sometimes we need to step back and allow people to be who there are.

I am one of few words, but appreciative of folks and what they have to throw my way.

Thanks,
Angela

ajshirle / Angela, if you object to any posts here, in future I'd be grateful if you'd use the "report post" button instead of getting shirty in-thread. It makes it easier for the mods to deal with problems, and means that threads are less likely to go off-topic, as this one now has.

The "report post" button looks like an exclamation mark inside a red triangle, just so you know. Thank you!

ETA: For the record, I saw nothing wrong with Quicklime's comments and advise everyone to assume good intentions. It makes things so much easier. Thank you.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Hi Quicklime:

Thanks,
Angela

Angela, should we assume, then, that you have an offer from a publisher? Congratulations!

Make sure you mention that when querying; you'll want to put it right in the email subject line. It's a good idea, too, to give some details in the letter (house name, offering editor, any financial details that have been given). It will really speed up the process.

We ask for more information because we want to help you, and for no other reason. This forum is a community, and it's one where we care about our fellow members. That's all.

Make sure you check our Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks section for any agents you consider submitting to. There's lots of great information there.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Welcome to AW!

I recommend you do some additional research on the querying process and on literary agents. And I recommend using www.querytracker.net and www.agentquery.com to help you identify agents who are interested in non-fiction/self-help manuscripts.

I can assure you that AW members are not trying to dig into your personal life or steal your story or anything nefarious. Many of us have experience and knowledge about publishing and querying that can be helpful to others. For instance, the fact that you asked about specifically NE-based agents suggests you aren't familiar with the publishing industry (if that's an incorrect impression, forgive me--I can only go by what I see on the screen), and so it's natural for an AWer to wonder if there's some particular reason you would be so location-focused.

There are reputable agents outside of NY too (including some in California, Colorado, Forida, etc.). The thing is...many agents these days communicate with their authors and with queriers via email...so proximity doesn't matter. In addition, it's really rare for agents and their authors to meet regularly face-to-face. They may tend to meet at conferences or when they happen to be near each other by coincidence. But much of the business between agent and client gets handled by email, postal mail, or phone. So whether an agent lives near you really doesn't matter.

Good luck to you. I hope this is of use.