PDA

View Full Version : Award-winners

shadowwalker
12-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Just my curiosity showing, but so many times I read in author's bios that they are "award-winning authors" or have written articles or books that were "award-winners" - but try to find out what those awards were for other than the most obvious (Pulitzer, for example) has proved nearly impossible for me. Other than directly contacting the author (and I haven't because it's only been a matter of idle curiosity coupled with a bit of skepticism and not worth bugging them about), is there a "quick and dirty" way to find out? I just find myself wondering at times how much of that is really "laudable" and how much is just puffery (ie Pulitzer prize versus Pudunk Weekly's Autumn Festival prize)...

Ken
12-12-2012, 03:21 AM
... haven't ever looked into the matter, but I would have supposed it be rather easy to find out whether an award is legit or not with google. Just google the award and a lot about it will probably come up. (But I guess that's not the case, surprisingly so.) I'm guessing that even though there are a lot of awards awarded the majority are legit and signify something at least. Overall, I'd say they're helpful in allowing readers to make improved selections when buying books. A lot better in any even than going with consumer reviews and ratings, in my estimation. Good question in any event and one worth asking.

Stacia Kane
12-12-2012, 04:40 AM
IMO, in general, if they don't name the award it's probably bullshit.

shadowwalker
12-12-2012, 05:17 AM
The thing I'm finding is that all they say is "award-winning author" or "award-winning article" - but never state what the awards were. It's along the lines of saying they're a best-selling author - but never saying which best-seller's list they're talking about.

Polenth
12-12-2012, 08:47 AM
If someone says they're an award winner or best seller, but don't give any details, I assume it's all nonsense. Often they technically won something, but it's Bob's favourite fiction award, which he posts on his blog with six subscribers. Or it's the best-selling book that author has self-published.

After all, if they've appeared somewhere really awesome, they'd want to make sure you knew the details.

shaldna
12-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I hear award winning a lot, and when they don't name the award, it's almost always a pay to enter /win award with a low entry number and a high chance of coming away with an award.

Buffysquirrel
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
If you've tried googling the author's name with "award" or "prize" or some variation thereon, and come up with nothing, assume bs.

Ken
12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
The thing I'm finding is that all they say is "award-winning author" or "award-winning article" - but never state what the awards were. It's along the lines of saying they're a best-selling author - but never saying which best-seller's list they're talking about.

... ah. That's different. Stacia may have the right of it, in that case.

shadowwalker
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking bogus on a lot of them. Googling the author name w/award or prize or even winning gets me a lot of sites where the author has posted their bio - but zilch as to name of the award. I googled one guy who supposedly had several award-winning articles - the only thing I could find in one magazine he listed was the NY Times "letter to the editor" award, and I'm not even sure it's the same guy.

Sometimes I think the world of writing will make me a cynic... oh - wait... :tongue

LJD
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
If it doesn't say the award or bestseller's list, then I don't pay attention.

victoriastrauss
12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Even if they do name the award, it may be bogus--there are a bunch of fake awards out there (Reader's Favorite, USA Best Book Awards, International Book Awards, Pinnacle Book Achievement Awards, and many others) that are designed to make money for their sponsors by charging high entry fees and selling merchandise to the entrants.

- Victoria

shadowwalker
12-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Even if they do name the award, it may be bogus--there are a bunch of fake awards out there (Reader's Favorite, USA Best Book Awards, International Book Awards, Pinnacle Book Achievement Awards, and many others) that are designed to make money for their sponsors by charging high entry fees and selling merchandise to the entrants.

- Victoria

Now that's interesting. Sounds kinda like those books they used to sell when I was in school - "Outstanding Students of the Year", where they charged to put your name and photo in. I fell for it, of course, because they claimed colleges looked for those students. :(

Is there a list of those, like publishers, etc?

James D. Macdonald
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
My exact awards and best-seller lists are posted on my bibliography page.

Alas, the award-winning one is currently out of print....

Is there a list of those, like publishers, etc?

Some of them are listed in BR&BC. They fall in that great gray area between Very Bad Idea and Out-and-Out Scam.

Phaeal
12-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Believe it, if they'd won the Pulitzer, Booker, Nobel, National Book Award, Caldecott, Nebula, Hugo, etc., etc., they would have been more specific.

;)