Predict Hubby's TV Breakdown

Which TV Temptation Will Make Hubby Crack?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
My husband recently disconnected our cable in an attempt to ween himself from habitual TV watching. He just wanted to stop watching shows he didn't even care about just because they were on. Instead, we have movies in rotation from Netflix, and some TV shows on DVD that we actually want to see.

It's been about a month. The cable account is still active, the coaxial just isn't attached. As much as I want him to succeed in his experiment to achieve more free time for other pursuits, I know that at some point he's gonna crack and hook it back up. Maybe just for one night, maybe some night when he's tired and wants to veg. He almost did it a few days ago.

So, which show's gonna make him crack? It may be a while before we know the answer, but I promise to come back and post it. Because it will happen, perhaps only for a day, but it will happen.

And, in the interest of fair disclosure, I should add that my husband doesn't like sports. But once in a while, for no apparent reason, he'll put a game on. So I had to include the Super Bowl. And we do have friends, so it's possible. All of the other choices are viable options. Really.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's those control rays. You never know when they'll penetrate the skull.

When you hear those black helicopters, break out the tinfoil hats. It's your only hope.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Poor guy. Hubby tried to wean himself off cigarettes using nicotine gum and only smoking when he was ready to take someone's head off. Do they make a patch for quitting TV?

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
After much debate, I finally went with Law and Order. Probably SVU. So hard, so hard. When he almost cracked the other day, he said, "I'm beat. Tonight would be a good night for TV." It was a Monday, so there was nothing tempting enough. If it had been a different night of the week, he might have caved.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
BradyH1861 said:
I voted for Law and Order because that would be the show that would make me crack and starting watching again.
And there are so many to choose from, and so many reruns, too.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Carole, he's going about this all wrong. Hook the cable back up, then get a hammer and smash the remote control. See what happens. Trust me.

Rob :)
Bad things, for sure. And we can't do that cuz then we wouldn't be able to watch DVDs or play the stereo [universal remote].

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Irony of the Day

At this very moment, hubby is in a tenant's apartment overseeing their cable installation with Comcast. No saliva dripping; he's doing well.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Are there not controls on the equipment?

mkcbunny said:
Oh, those funny little buttons?

No way those can 'control' the TV (dvd players, stereos, etc). Pffff.

Rob has so many strange fantasies in his head.

It's sad, really.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Superbowl, for sure. Even if he's not into sports, who would want to miss those commercials?
EmoteShrug.gif

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
At our church there is a family that doesn't even OWN a TV -- he does borrow the one from the church for Superbowls -- and they are the most freakish people I know.

Thanks a lot, pal. I don't own a TV either.:e2tomato:

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I secretly have the little TV in my office still hooked up. Shhhhh. Don't tell him.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, pal. I don't own a TV either.

A soul mate! I actually do own a TV -- I inherited it when my aunt died. Everyone else in my family already had a TV...

It sat there for years, doing nothing, because I don't have or want cable. Then the LoTR DVD's came out, and I had to go out and get a DVD player. So now I can watch my movies... :)

But I'd still rather go to a movie theatre. The small screen has never really entranced me that much.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
And 24. Once he watched 24, he won't go back to TVlessness.

How true. How true. That's the show I'd crack on. Either that or Lost. But 24 is an event to watch. At least around here.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Well, contrary to even my guess, though popular with the AW public, it was ... Lost.

My husband worked really hard this week installing the last of a series of art shows he has been working on back-to-back since October. We finished around 7pm, went to dinner, and came home. I guess his weeks of productivity inspired him to be a couch potato, so we plugged the TV back up for Lost.

And then it was a rerun. A rerun we had seen.

If it hadn't been tonight, my next bet was going to be the Westminster Dog Show.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went Super Bowl and Comedy Central.

Super Bowl's a can't-miss event, but it's the thin edge of the wedge. Other shows, while addictive, might not do the trick.

Comedy Central, on the other hand, is a whole category -- never mind looking at the schedule; flip it on, and you get something funny (ideally). No planning required. (ESPN would be the same, except basketball leaves me totally cold. I'm just missing that gene -- except when it's the Pistons stomping the Lakers.)

Okay, I'm writing essays on a poll thread. Time to step awaaaaaay from the keyboard....

travNastee

in a bulletproof vest...
Registered
Reaction score
I had to say Lost because the two shows that brought me back to habitual TV watching weren't mentioned (The Shield and Family Guy) and none of the other shows that would hurt if I missed them are up there (My Name Is Earl, The Office, Invasion).

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
We have watched episodes of The Office [lol funny] that my husband paid to download. But I didn't count that because it was basically like renting a movie or Netflix. The challenge was not having random TV on and what show would break the cable boycott.

For the record, after the Lost rerun disappointment, we tried for L&O, but that was also a rerun. Boo! We ended up watching CSI: NY, which we never watch [original show mostly, Miami once in a while]. Now we are watching a new [yay] Daily Show, so poetinahat is not far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.