PDA

View Full Version : I just came back from THAT side of YouTube

LOG
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
It started with the world's biggest pimple, then I progressed into videos of cyst excision (some of which seemed to be home-surgery, didn't seem the brightest idea to me), to ear wax removal, to a killer cat scratch, to a flesh-eating spider bite, and then into various parasite living inside the body, which was capped by the type that live and move around the brain and skull (thank you so much for those experiences AnimalPlanet).
And finally I ended my foray with a milkshake involving seven processed ice cream sandwiches.

So, yeah, my skin is crawling.
I'm going to try to sleep now. This will not end well . . .

BigWords
12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
You went to the weird part of YouTube and survived.

That is a rite of passage everyone who visits there goes through.

LOG
12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Not my first visit to the freaky part of YouTube, but definitely the longest.
I think the total time was somewhere around 45 minutes to an hour.

BigWords
12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Pfft. That's a sojourn at best. A brief visitation.

Come back and brag when you hit the 48 hour mark. :D

Maryn
12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
There are plenty of things on YouTube that can completely kill a craving for ice cream.

Maryn, who's seen them

LOG
12-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Also, ice creams that can kill. :P (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwpmbwetD0A)

Write_Askew
12-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Pfft. That's a sojourn at best. A brief visitation.

Come back and brag when you hit the 48 hour mark. :D

There are times, I swear, when the entirety of my household is in front of the computer watching that stuff. We've actually skipped making dinner and ordered a pizza so we didn't have to leave the computer before. Its awful. And amazing. I am particularly fond of the spider videos, especially the ones about the super-huge, super-fast ones in Australia. (Has anyone else noticed that entire continent seems stocked with things meant to kill humans?)

I must confess, though, that I was stuck on the Will It Blend page for hours on end. The Justin Beiber episode made me laugh so hard I thought I might puke.

BigWords
12-12-2012, 04:55 AM
We've actually skipped making dinner and ordered a pizza so we didn't have to leave the computer before.

I've skipped meals. And sleep. They have really, really long documentaries uploaded these days, which makes it all the harder to switch off and go do something productive.

I am particularly fond of the spider videos, especially the ones about the super-huge, super-fast ones in Australia. (Has anyone else noticed that entire continent seems stocked with things meant to kill humans?)

That has been noted a few times here. Mostly by me, and mostly in the Cantina, where people seem determined to sell me on the idea of visiting Australia. I've seen what lives there - nobody's gonna convince me I'll get out alive...

KellyAssauer
12-12-2012, 05:00 AM
I feel so deprived...
Ewe! I've never looked for any of this stuff.

Makes me wonder why.

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 05:17 AM
That has been noted a few times here. Mostly by me, and mostly in the Cantina, where people seem determined to sell me on the idea of visiting Australia. I've seen what lives there - nobody's gonna convince me I'll get out alive...

Speaking as an Australian who has survived 28.5 years in this country, I've gotta so there's nothing to worry about.

Just don't go anywhere with long grass (snakes). Or in the ocean (sharks and jellyfish). Or to the bathroom (spiders).

Hmm. Better stay in the airport...

jjdebenedictis
12-12-2012, 05:25 AM
I once read a book where a character said, "Sanity so often consists of knowing what not to think about."

I have a similar instinct about what not to look at on the internet.

The last time I screwed up was several years ago and involved a video of a man who had injected his penis full of saline (or something) until it was as big as a guinea pig and rolled around on his hand like a water-balloon on a table top.

I think I watched maybe one second's worth of footage before I mashed the back button and started making "distressed Chewbacca" noises.

KellyAssauer
12-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Speaking as an Australian who has survived 28.5 years in this country, I've gotta so there's nothing to worry about.

Just don't go anywhere with long grass (snakes). Or in the ocean (sharks and jellyfish). Or to the bathroom (spiders).

Hmm. Better stay in the airport...

and the Drop bears?

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 05:54 AM
We're slowly training them to do airport security. It's a little hit and miss so far... A few tourists got their faces eaten.

We don't like to talk about it.

writerterri
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
*snort*

Dork. (means I really dig you)

mccardey
12-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Please.

Speaking as an Australian who survived 53 years in this country and then moved to France, let me just say that Other Countries Don't Do Poisonous Stuff.

Frankly - I found it a little freaky. Except for America and the gun thing (also the middle east) the rest of the world is basically harmless.

Who knew?

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Australia must really be out to get us then... Frankly, I blame the Mayans.

mccardey
12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Australia must really be out to get us then... Frankly, I blame the Mayans.

I blame the French. But I'm prepared to forgive them.

Cliff - the world is about to end isn't it? I just missed the date...

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Last I heard, it was scheduled for the 21st of this month.

Which time zone, I have no idea! I mean, the morning of the 21st here is the evening or afternoon of the 20th for everyone else! By the time everyone else is getting stuck into their 21st, we'll be on the 22nd.

Frankly, the only way this apocalypse has any chance is if the entire world is inexplicably asleep at the same time. Which isn't a bad way to go, I hear.

mccardey
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Which time zone, I have no idea! I mean, the morning of the 21st here is the evening or afternoon of the 20th for everyone else! By the time everyone else is getting stuck into their 21st, we'll be on the 22nd.

Lord! How will I know what to wear? It's the Rapture thing all over again. What are you wearing?

Paperback Writer
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
If you want gross but funny at the same time, try watching the Honey Badger.

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Lord! How will I know what to wear? It's the Rapture thing all over again. What are you wearing?

I'll be wearing a placard that says, "The End-Times Are NOT Upon Us!" Just to mess with people. ;)

mccardey
12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I'll be wearing a placard that says, "The End-Times Are NOT Upon Us!" Just to mess with people. ;)

Okay, so I guess I'll go with my Sale Ends Thursday placard. And tights.

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
"Buy now, before the zombie alien meteor hits Earth!"

LOG
12-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I like to live in cold climates.
Partly for the snow, partly just because I like things a bit chilly, and if the freezing climates is discouraging to creepy-crawly things, well, that's just a bonus.
:P

Caitlin Black
12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Mmm, I prefer the cold too. My biggest bug annoyance are the flies in Summer. So annoying!

*throws a snowball at the flies*

It was 39C here today, which is 102F. Ack! My snowball melted before it left my hand!

Sydneyd
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
I have to admit, I've never been to that part of YouTube. You are braver than I could ever be. That's a plus!!

BigWords
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM

You make Australia sound so appealing... :D

Frankly - I found it a little freaky. Except for America and the gun thing (also the middle east) the rest of the world is basically harmless.

Depends on your definition of harmless. Even the UK has things which attack when you aren't paying attention. Do you realize the level of funny looks you get when you walk into a surgery with half a bee embedded in your hand? People really stare.

I'm endlessly optimistic - I have scheduled posts on the blog through March so far. I'll be really annoyed if the world ends before they go up.

Write_Askew
12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
I've skipped meals. And sleep. They have really, really long documentaries uploaded these days, which makes it all the harder to switch off and go do something productive.

That's a level of commitment I haven't broached yet. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I got sucked in for five solid hours the other day watching videos of people's top whatever movie sound tracks and being all sorts of mad when they chose stupid ones...I haven't run into any of the truly long documentaries yet. I'm wavering between whether that would be great or really, truly bad.

As for Australia- I actually watched an entire documentary (on YouTube if I remember right) about the top 10 most poisonous animals in the world and all of them live in Australia. Most of them were aquatic, too. It made that great idea my family had of hitting up the exotic waters down there seem way less appealing.

You know, I remember reading an article the other day that the Mayan calendar didn't account for leap years, and so technically the end of the world should have happened like, eight months ago. I might need to hunt that thing up. I could pass it out to all the yahoos at Walmart who are stockpiling things and keeping me from buying my cats the brand of cat food they like. They've been out all month and I am really tired of my cats glaring at me over their food bowls.

BigWords
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I could pass it out to all the yahoos at Walmart who are stockpiling things and keeping me from buying my cats the brand of cat food they like. They've been out all month and I am really tired of my cats glaring at me over their food bowls.

That might be the Christmas idiots rather than the end of the world idiots. I am staying indoors as I can't take the hassle any more - one more person pushes me as they grab all the sugar from the shelf and I may very well snap...

Write_Askew
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
That might be the Christmas idiots rather than the end of the world idiots. I am staying indoors as I can't take the hassle any more - one more person pushes me as they grab all the sugar from the shelf and I may very well snap...

It might be. Of course, this is the perfect storm for crazies. I live in an area of the country where people are stockpiling weapons and ammo (Walmart out of that too, I checked just for fun) because the government is apparently training a secret military force to suppress all of us when the apocalypse comes. Plus its supposed to snow a bunch soon, or so I hear. Not to mention its the holidays.

Perhaps while I'm out today I'll grab you some sugar and then we can hide out in my neighbor's bunker until its all over. :chair I bet I could swing a YouTube connection down there...

Ambrosia
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM

You do know you have a pause button on Youtube, right?

(I have used it many times on those long videos when immediate life interfered with viewing life.)

Please.

Speaking as an Australian who survived 53 years in this country and then moved to France, let me just say that Other Countries Don't Do Poisonous Stuff.

Who knew?
Not quite true. But not in the vast quantities of things designed to kill that you all have. ;)

True story: on the property I grew up on we were inundated with snakes. Of the poisonous varieties we had copperheads, rattlesnakes and, when the river flooded, the occasional water moccasin. One day I was walking around the side of the house and the ground under my foot squelched. The ground wasn't supposed to do that. I looked down and my surprised eyes met the copperhead's surprised eyes. To this day I do not know how I managed to jump three feet straight into the air and have enough forward momentum to propel me another several forward. But I did. And I managed not to get bit in the process.

Ah youth. If it happened today I would die. That's why I try my best not to be in places where poisonous snakes cross my path. Or other things that will either kill me or eat on me until I'm dead or...nope. Not visiting Australia.

Ambrosia
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
It might be. Of course, this is the perfect storm for crazies. I live in an area of the country where people are stockpiling weapons and ammo (Walmart out of that too, I checked just for fun) because the government is apparently training a secret military force to suppress all of us when the apocalypse comes. Plus its supposed to snow a bunch soon, or so I hear. Not to mention its the holidays.

Perhaps while I'm out today I'll grab you some sugar and then we can hide out in my neighbor's bunker until its all over. :chair I bet I could swing a YouTube connection down there...
Do you have a prearranged invitation? A lot of bunker builders aren't sharing.

BigWords
12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
You do know you have a pause button on Youtube, right?

The pause button is for lightweights.

Watching an entire season of a television show in one slog is something which is much, much better without RL rudely interfering.

That's why I try my best not to be in places where poisonous snakes cross my path. Or other things that will either kill me or eat on me until I'm dead or...nope. Not visiting Australia.

Join us in secure bunkers. Guaranteed 100% deadly snake free.

jjdebenedictis
12-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Lord! How will I know what to wear? It's the Rapture thing all over again. What are you wearing?I'm going to be wearing my fuzzy bathrobe and slippers, and probably eating ice cream. If the world is ending, there is no reason for me to give a crap what I look like.

Plus, the fuzzy bathrobe is surprisingly warm and the slippers have fleece lining, which is more than I can say for my shoes, and the ice cream is important for building up fat to tide me through the lean times. It's really not such a bad outfit for an apocalypse.

Xelebes
12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
It started with the world's biggest pimple, then I progressed into videos of cyst excision (some of which seemed to be home-surgery, didn't seem the brightest idea to me), to ear wax removal, to a killer cat scratch, to a flesh-eating spider bite, and then into various parasite living inside the body, which was capped by the type that live and move around the brain and skull (thank you so much for those experiences AnimalPlanet).
And finally I ended my foray with a milkshake involving seven processed ice cream sandwiches.

So, yeah, my skin is crawling.
I'm going to try to sleep now. This will not end well . . .

Try Largest Blackheads instead of Pimple. There is a guy (I have to wonder if he really is a doctor - he does some of the blackhead removal without gloves - ick!) from India who has made a series of him removing forests of blackheads and whiteheads from geriatric patients, especially off the noses.

Write_Askew
12-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Do you have a prearranged invitation? A lot of bunker builders aren't sharing.

As long as I bring my own gun, beef jerky and toilet paper. :D

LOG
12-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Try Largest Blackheads instead of Pimple. There is a guy (I have to wonder if he really is a doctor - he does some of the blackhead removal without gloves - ick!) from India who has made a series of him removing forests of blackheads and whiteheads from geriatric patients, especially off the noses.
Seen it.
Not as visually impressive.