O'Reilly blames gays and abortions for war on Christmas

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Video taken from Bill's show:
http://youtu.be/3lxmQATcWb8

Relevant part:
Bernard McGuirk, Imus in the Morning executive producer: "If you ask me, in addition to some misanthropic heathen atheists, it has to do with, at the root of it, with abortion and the gay rights agenda. Christianity is against those things, that's why it's so pronounced in recent years."

Bill O'Reilly: "I absolutely agree one hundred percent agree. It's the diminishment of Christianity is the target, and Christmas is the vehicle, because secularists know the opposition to their agenda. Legalizing drugs is in there as well."

Is it just me, or is Bill starting to sound more and more insane as time goes by? He's starting to sound like Glenn Beck. Also, I thought about posting this onto the current Bill O'Reilly thread since it's about Bill and the war on Christmas, but this argument of his goes on a completely different tangent than Christianity not being a religion.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Even on the occassions when O'Reilly said something I agreed with, the way he waggles his finger about as if it somehow backs up what he's saying made me wish I didn't agree with him.

I find him absolutely sickening.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Secularists aren't at war with Christmas.

They're at war with the homophobes and prohibitionists and other authoritarians who have declared personal ownership of the holiday... like Bill O'Really.

I also note from the quote that for folks who feel every action of the human species needs to be judged against some set of rules supposedly defined by a non-human, they're awfully quick to throw around the misanthrope label. What's more misanthropic than the belief in original sin?

As for the heathen atheist label, make me up a tee-shirt. :)

Just for grins, the bolded is open to debate. ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Video taken from Bill's show:
http://youtu.be/3lxmQATcWb8

Relevant part:
Bernard McGuirk, Imus in the Morning executive producer: "If you ask me, in addition to some misanthropic heathen atheists, ..."
Thank God! Going by the thread subject line, I was thinking atheists are so low thesedays we don't even rate a mention, but it's good the word is being used on cable TV or whatever venue this is.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's more misanthropic than the belief in original sin?

It depends. If it translates into "nobody's perfect, so give your fellow human beings a break," it's actually philanthropic. :)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Secularists aren't at war with Christmas.

They're at war with the homophobes and prohibitionists and other authoritarians who have declared personal ownership of the holiday... like Bill O'Really.

I also note from the quote that for folks who feel every action of the human species needs to be judged against some set of rules supposedly defined by a non-human, they're awfully quick to throw around the misanthrope label. What's more misanthropic than the belief in original sin?

As for the heathen atheist label, make me up a tee-shirt. :)

Before I take you up on the debate, I'm curious if any other atheists are bothered by the heathen epithet. The word as generally defined means uncivilized or barbaric. Is the implication that civilized atheists would not behave this way or is it that all atheists are uncivilized?

Anyway. Rather than dig too far into the doctrine of original sin, I will point out that it puts all human beings on an equal footing (We are all sinners).

Thus it is less misanthropic than the doctrine of predestination which creates two categories of humans (most of whom are essentially subhuman).

It is also less misanthropic than racism, sexism, or homophobia which create categories of humans and subhumans.

Thus original sin's fundamental egalitarianism makes it less misanthropic than many other ideas.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Before I take you up on the debate, I'm curious if any other atheists are bothered by the heathen epithet. The word as generally defined means uncivilized or barbaric. Is the implication that civilized atheists would not behave this way or is it that all atheists are uncivilized?

Anyway. Rather than dig too far into the doctrine of original sin, I will point out that it puts all human beings on an equal footing (We are all sinners).

Thus it is less misanthropic than the doctrine of predestination which creates two categories of humans (most of whom are essentially subhuman).

It is also less misanthropic than racism, sexism, or homophobia which create categories of humans and subhumans.

Thus original sin's fundamental egalitarianism makes it less misanthropic than many other ideas.
"Misanthropy is the general hatred, mistrust or disdain of the human species or human nature."

The belief that we are all born sinners falls squarely under "mistrust or disdain of human nature" any way I can possibly read it.

I understand your "least of many evils" rationale, although I'm no fan. I generally find it's mostly useful for justifying and excusing the status quo.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
"Misanthropy is the general hatred, mistrust or disdain of the human species or human nature."

The belief that we are all born sinners falls squarely under "mistrust or disdain of human nature" any way I can possibly read it.

I understand your "least of many evils" rationale, although I'm no fan. I generally find it's mostly useful for justifying and excusing the status quo.

I'm not disputing that the doctrine is misanthropic. You asked "What's more misanthropic than the belief in original sin?"

I think the examples I gave are more misanthropic than original sin.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that the doctrine is misanthropic. You asked "What's more misanthropic than the belief in original sin?"

I think the examples I gave are more misanthropic than original sin.

The others are aimed at subsets of the human race, while original sin is aimed at everyone... nobody gets a pass, not for any special reason at all. Human nature itself is disdained, not some specific component of nature that someone has because of their membership in that subset.

That's about as "general" as you can get. The others are more specific.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily, imo. Many people who believe everyone is a "sinner" don't interpret it the way you are. The faulty assumption is that being a "sinner" makes a person evil or worthy of disdain or untrustworthy.

It can also mean we're only human, imperfect, and we make mistakes.

And if one is so inclined, it can mean that one relies on God for forgiveness, support, help, unconditional love. :)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily, imo. Many people who believe everyone is a "sinner" don't interpret it the way you are. The faulty assumption is that being a "sinner" makes a person evil or worthy of disdain or untrustworthy.

It can also mean we're only human, imperfect, and we make mistakes.

And if one is so inclined, it can mean that one relies on God for forgiveness, support, help, unconditional love. :)
It says "mistrust or disdain of human nature" not of individual humans.

The original sin argument is that human nature is of itself sinful, for we are born having sinned by virtue of nothing other than having been born as humans. Human nature is guilty until proven innocent. That screams mistrust or disdain to me. YMMV.

(... and don't get me started on lectures from the pulpit about how we are all flawed and must rise above our "base, animal nature" and resist our natural desires (read "temptations") to be worthy of salvation. I grew up listening to sermons that dripped with disdain for human nature.)

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I don't mind being called a misanthropic heathen atheist. I am generally misanthropic, I don't know which spoons or forks to use at a formal dinner, and I am an atheist. When I was younger, my dad would call his kids (jokingly) little heathens.

I, however, draw the line at sinner.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait.

I thought gays and abortions were responsible for Hurricane Katrina and 9/11?

Now they're destroying Christmas, too?

They've gone too far this time! They must be stopped!

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It says "mistrust or disdain of human nature" not of individual humans.
A dinstinction without a difference, I say. :)

The original sin argument is that human nature is of itself sinful, for we are born having sinned by virtue of nothing other than having been born as humans. Human nature is guilty until proven innocent. That screams mistrust or disdain to me. YMMV.
Yeah, I get it. Just... that's not how everyone defines it. Like Richard said above, the original sin concept can also simply be a way to put us all on equal footing. No one is inherently better or worse than anyone else. We all have faults. We all have weaknesses. Therefore, "Judge not...." that sort of thing.

(... and don't get me started on lectures from the pulpit about how we are all flawed and must rise above our "base, animal nature" and resist our natural desires (read "temptations") to be worthy of salvation. I grew up listening to sermons that dripped with disdain for human nature.)
I can see why you'd feel the way you do, with that kind of experience. I went to churches that said there was nothing I could to do to be worthy. I had to ask Jesus to come live in my heart and change Teh Evil Me and save from the everlasting Hell I deserved (at age 7, do you realize how hard it can be to detect another person living inside of your heart?) I rejected those messages.

I just like to keep the good parts. :D

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

I saw it as using heathen in a religious context, meaning, often disparagingly, someone who isn't religious. In this case, it's completely redundant since obviously atheists are not religious, so I'm going with stupid insult.

As for the belief in the original sin, I do understand how and why some Christians believe in it and don't see it as a negative thing. And I understand that some people merely take it to mean that humans aren't perfect and we all have our flaws, which isn't a bad message. However, my experience with the doctrine has been that people will use it to criticize other people's lives without realizing that they're doing so. They will say that they're okay with gay people, for example, because "we're all sinners and equal before God." They don't realize that they're taking the basic assumption that being gay is a sin for granted, or how offensive this is to gay people.

I don't believe in the original sin, and while they may mean well, having people tell me that my "sins" are equal to theirs makes a lot of assumptions about how I view "sin" and morality.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think BillO is still in shock from the outcome of the election. He was dreadfully wrong in his predictions going into it, dreadfully wrong about thinking all the polls were dreadfully wrong, and seems to have been genuinely baffled when things didn't go the way he thought they would. He hasn't yet recovered, and is just flailing, trying to find some new issue to generate fervor among the ardent Foxies who watch his show.

caw

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think BillO is still in shock from the outcome of the election. He was dreadfully wrong in his predictions going into it, dreadfully wrong about thinking all the polls were dreadfully wrong, and seems to have been genuinely baffled when things didn't go the way he thought they would. He hasn't yet recovered, and is just flailing, trying to find some new issue to generate fervor among the ardent Foxies who watch his show.
Or maybe his opinions will be enough to reverse the outcome and we'll be inaugurating Romney next month...

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I so despise the 'hate the sin, love the sinner' mantra I hear from so many people masquerading as 'tolerant' Christians (disclaimer: actual, real tolerant Christians do exist. I've met a few.) They usually use it in reference to gay people, or people having the kind of sex they disapprove of (outside of marriage, not for procreation, etc) and it bugs the shit out of me because sex is natural, love is natural, the gender of the person doesn't matter a whit and the idea that any kind of love, or any sexual activity between two consenting adults is a 'sin' just seems perverse and arbitrary to me. "Hate the sin, love the sinner" is just a polite euphemism for 'you seem nice, but what you do in your private time is disgusting'.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Original sin, like a number of practices, suffers from an I-thou problem.

"I am a sinner" can be a useful way to think. It acts against pride and keeps the mind focused on the harm one can be doing to others.

"Thou art a sinner" is not useful. It encourages pride and contempt in the mind of the speaker. It focuses not on the harm the speaker can do but in the bad the speaker sees in the person spoken to. This also makes it easy to project onto others what the speaker sees or wants to see as sins even if there is nothing harmful about them. It even makes it easy to see love as sinful.

Hate the sin, love the sinner may sound pretty but it's a thou form and has all the dangers I just outlined.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think "hate the sin, love the sinner," might have been coined with good intentions. For example, the WBC literally hates whomever they deem as sinners.

Take something most people believe is wrong or "a sin": murder. You can hate/disapprove of murder but not condemn the murderer... i.e., you can still love the murderer enough to pray for him, rather than judging him and hoping he burns in hell.

Unfortunately, like Richard said, it's a way to give oneself permission to continue to judge other people's behavior, all while saying one loves the person and is not judging them.

But Jesus said, "Judge not." Some of the best advice he ever gave, imo. And pretty simple, methinks. He didn't say, Judge the sin, not the sinner. He just said, Don't judge.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Christianity, in it's more traditional forms, did more to change Christmas for me than anyone else ever did. Nothing quite like meeting people who believe that 2/3 of the worlds population are going to be tortured for all eternity to put you off a religion.

Believe me, my gay friends make me happier about the state of humanity than realising people are okay with their god doing that, because they're so sure they will be spared.

As for 'I am a sinner' - I find that powerful only if in the same conversation/assumption there's no such thing as hell and everlasting punishment at the end of this life. Most of the people I know and love are agnostic or atheist, and the idea that a god would punish them simply for not believing when there is no evidence? It definietly doesn't make me want to be joyful at Christmas time.