I POD'd. Now what?

Grampa Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gogebicbooks.com
If I POD'd my book, only sold 500-600 copies, can I re-write some of it, and submit to an agent as a different book with a new title? If I do submit to an agent (assuming one wants to see the book), do I let on that it has been published before, even though this is a "different" book from the POD version.
Al the rejections I've received are because I've POD'd, by the way. Nobody wants it.
HA! But I'm writing another true crime, and this time I won't POD.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulate yourself for selling 500+; that's good for a POD title.

Second, IANAL, but as long as you're no longer selling your book as POD, I don't see why you couldn't create a new book out of the plot and characters. I wouldn't mention its previous incarnation except in the context of inspiring the current one (and certainly not in the query letter). If anyone asks about your publishing experience, you might mention in passing that you dabbled in POD, had a good response, etc., but definitely don't claim it as a "credit".

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
How different a book has to be in order to make it a "different book" -- is a question for a lawyer familiar with publishing.

My personal opinion is that honesty is the best policy -- be up front with the agent; you expect him/her to be up front with you -- and that sales of 500-600, while great for a POD, are so low that the book won't be seen as damaged goods at all.

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
Refer to the 500 people who bought the POD version as BETA readers, giving feedback for your work in progress.

This advice is just for your own piece of mind, not something to mention in a query letter.

Grampa Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gogebicbooks.com
Grey Malkin said:
Refer to the 500 people who bought the POD version as BETA readers, giving feedback for your work in progress.

This advice is just for your own piece of mind, not something to mention in a query letter.
Thanks, Grey! I like that. Now I've rationalized, and feel okay about not mentioning the POD.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
James D. Macdonald said:
How different a book has to be in order to make it a "different book" -- is a question for a lawyer familiar with publishing.

My personal opinion is that honesty is the best policy -- be up front with the agent; you expect him/her to be up front with you -- and that sales of 500-600, while great for a POD, are so low that the book won't be seen as damaged goods at all.

I have to agree. sales for a pod novel of 5-600 are well above the norm. My (fairly harsh, but considered) opinion is forget it. Keep selling the pod as a pod. Finish the next novel and get representation. Then write another. Look on the first one as a dummy run.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
An agent has requested my new manuscript and asked for my author's bio including publishing credits. I had three novels with POD and have gotten released from the contracts. I am currently rewriting them under new titles. I mention this in my bio, but I don't mention the publisher. I sold about 200-300 copies of each book. I learned a great deal about promotion, met with local book clubs, spoke at different organizations, and such. I don't want to withhold information from my agent, since I want to submit the revised novels under new titles when they are finished. I also want her to see that I have written more than just the single book I'm sending her.

POD may not be a true credit, but if she askes me about it I will be truthful and tell her who printed them, how I got shafted, how I got released, and how I am moving forward. I will also tell her it was one way I tested the market to see if readers and reviewers liked the books. I had excellent reviews from REAL reviewers. It should count as something.

I think it is also the way in which you approach the writing of your author's bio. Besides, won't the agent decide what to present to publishers when it comes to what publishing credits I've listed? Won't she know the best way to do this?

One more thing so I can vent. It is my hope and prayer that agents and publishers do not turn down good writers because of companies like Publish America and Authors House. Please look at the writing, not at who shafted these poor writers.