Holy shit, new developments post 78

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Holy shit.

An hour ago somebody tried to break into our house.

Nice quiet street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Middle of the day. Our van was in the driveway for Christ's sake.

Somebody rang the doorbell. My husband went to the front to answer the door, next thing we know, the side door's kicked in, door jam splintered, holy shit. I'm calling 911 with one hand, getting the shotgun with the other.

My husband yelled, "Hey!" and whomever it was took off. Cops came right away, five cops, three cars. They checked everywhere, took our names, said they'd check the neighborhood and they left.

And now I feel kind of scared and really pissed and there's a disconnect, like it didn't happen because how could it have happened? We live on a nice street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Our van was in the driveway. It was the middle of the day for Christ's sake.

Holy shit I'm glad my husband was home with me. I'm glad we have that gun. I'm glad they ran. I'm glad they didn't get in. Trying to calm down here, put it in perspective. Shit, though.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
See, this is why I live around three drug dealers. The only people breaking into their homes are the DEA. No one would ever think of even touching my door in case if they might accidentally break into the wrong house.

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
I'm glad that everything turned out okay for you, and glad that you keep a gun in the house!

I own a .410 shotgun and my husband has an M-1 and an AR-15 rifle. Whenever I come into the house, I always lock the door as soon as it closes. My .410 may not kill an attacker, but I think it would still be a suitable deterrent if the necessity arose. Besides, I enjoy shooting it. :)

Of course, something ironic: my first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. It was at my dad's house, and was stolen when his house got broken into one day!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Scary, but I'm not sure how the gun figures in it. They didn't see it, didn't know you had it, and ran away at someone saying "hey".

I'm glad you're okay.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I'm glad you were there, that your husband was there, that they were thwarted, that the police were prompt, and all that, but I bet you're just pumping adrenaline and that later you might not feel as safe as you did until a half hour ago.

There's an answer, of course. When you replace whatever broke when he kicked in the door, go with something which can't be kicked in. Replace the door with steel, or get a long deadbolt lock.

Meanwhile, here. [Maryn hands you a shot of whiskey.]

Maryn, with a hug

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you guys. You know, you think you're safe in your own house. Our cute little house.

Is it weird that I'm writing right now? I'm thinking it's helping me take my mind off it, kind of. Or maybe it's letting me work through it or something.

Nothing happened, I mean, besides our door jam busting. The door was locked because we always lock our doors, even when we're home. I'm trying not to think about what might have happened. I know we were lucky.

Somebody had to have been pretty desperate though, right? Or stupid. Or stupid and desperate. And not too small because that door jamb splintered like nothing, busted the door open although the door is intact. It was locked but the deadbolt wasn't engaged.

Oh, man. No whiskey yet but I may rethink that.

I had that gun, just in case. I'm glad they didn't see it, I don't want to think. . .

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
KKBE, I'm glad you're okay. I know that's scary. Glad you called 911; also glad you got a quick response (not likely in some Atlanta neighborhoods). Probably a random crime by idiots.

Of course, something ironic: my first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. It was at my dad's house, and was stolen when his house got broken into one day!
Happens all the time. Smart burglars break in when nobody's home, so your guns are just one more thing to be stolen and sold. (All my weapons are hand-to-hand, but it's the same thing.)

If I ever own a house, I'd like to make it into a fortress -- or at least have doors that can't be knocked in by either criminals or cops.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
We've had that happen a few times. Once I was home alone and I heard someone trying the front door. The car was gone so they probably thought the house was empty. We had a great guard dog though so I just slipped him out the back door and he went around the front and took care of it.

Glad you're okay and they didn't actually get in. Pretty unnerving though.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you. Yep, unnerving. That's the word. It's the fact that our van was there, in the driveway , that's getting me the most. Wouldn't that indicate somebody was home?

That's the part that's scary.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
So glad you're okay. Very scary, especially with the forceful entry. It sounds like one of those random break-ins. Luckily you were home to scare them off.

We were burglarized several years ago. It's such a strange feeling knowing someone's been inside your house and seen all of your "stuff." I had a very hard time sleeping the first night. Surprisingly, though, that feeling went away pretty quickly and life moved on. I think we were a little more careful about locking doors after that.

GinnieHazel

Registered
Reaction score
It's scary to see how many people on here have guns.

Also, the best kind of door to get would be a plastic one. They tend to bend rather than break with an impact and just spring back.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You guys are being really nice and I appreciate it. I just told my husband to go hunting. He was going to spend the night but he's not going to now. I'm not going to be scared in my own house but I did just go around and turn on all the lights. Dang it.
GinnieHazel: It's scary to see how many people on here have guns.

Actually, though, I wouldn't want to be without a gun. I have a healthy respect for guns. I don't particularly like having it but I feel safer with than I would without. And I know how to use it. I don't want to. Ever. But if I needed to, I would. I would. I'd pull the trigger if I had to.

See, now I'm mad. What the stages of "getting the shit scared out of you?" Fright, feeling of disconnect, gratefulness, anger, lame attempts to laugh it off. . .

When does that shot of whiskey come in?

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. *Offers second shot of whiskey*

Hopefully they find the creep soon!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, condolences and congratulations for surviving.

It's funny, I'm in the process of selecting a handgun for concealed carry and going to the gun show this weekend. Of course, I'm in Florida and, as in Texas, Arizona and South Dakota, we're practically required to have guns to be socially acceptable.

Jeff (Who also lives on a quiet street in a safe little town...)

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The van parked where it normally is when you're home makes me suspect it may have been more than a simple burglary. Not to further alarm you, but some recent home invasions have been deliberate kidnapping and extortion attempts - almost always drug related. Unfortunately, the cartels involved don't always get the right address either. I'd keep a weather eye on the neighborhood.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, how horrifying! I'm so glad you're safe.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
The first time I went to college, I was home for lunch with my parents during summer school. We were all sitting around watching the Noon News when we heard something outside, all 3 of us went outside and saw someone breaking into the neighbor across the street's house. We called the cops and watched as the cops (the station was about 5 blocks away) pulled in in a similar manner (3 cars several cops) and watched as the two theives ran. When we were giving our statements we asked why they did it during the day, and the police told us that most break ins occur during the day because they figure no one is home. What they didn't take into account in our little Kansas town was that a lot of people go home for lunch.

We also had guns in the house, but we didn't pull ours just to be on the safe side. Glad to hear you're safe and okay. And I think it's good that you're writing, I'm sure it helps with the stress and "excitement".

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So.

Calming down. Birds are tweeting. That's a good sign. And my phone is right here and I just called my mom.

Thanks, you guys. :Hug2:

ETA: I just realized that my signature for today is about a break in. Holy shit.

:chair

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So glad all is well.

Also, "Holy Shit" is an excellent thread title. :D (I mean, I was totally intrigued.)