PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit, new developments post 78

kkbe
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Holy shit.

An hour ago somebody tried to break into our house.

Nice quiet street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Middle of the day. Our van was in the driveway for Christ's sake.

Somebody rang the doorbell. My husband went to the front to answer the door, next thing we know, the side door's kicked in, door jam splintered, holy shit. I'm calling 911 with one hand, getting the shotgun with the other.

My husband yelled, "Hey!" and whomever it was took off. Cops came right away, five cops, three cars. They checked everywhere, took our names, said they'd check the neighborhood and they left.

And now I feel kind of scared and really pissed and there's a disconnect, like it didn't happen because how could it have happened? We live on a nice street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Our van was in the driveway. It was the middle of the day for Christ's sake.

Holy shit I'm glad my husband was home with me. I'm glad we have that gun. I'm glad they ran. I'm glad they didn't get in. Trying to calm down here, put it in perspective. Shit, though.

veinglory
12-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Wow. Glad you're okay. Make sure you take some time off to unwind and recover from the shock.

Kerosene
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
See, this is why I live around three drug dealers. The only people breaking into their homes are the DEA. No one would ever think of even touching my door in case if they might accidentally break into the wrong house.

aixsponsa
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm glad that everything turned out okay for you, and glad that you keep a gun in the house!

I own a .410 shotgun and my husband has an M-1 and an AR-15 rifle. Whenever I come into the house, I always lock the door as soon as it closes. My .410 may not kill an attacker, but I think it would still be a suitable deterrent if the necessity arose. Besides, I enjoy shooting it. :)

Of course, something ironic: my first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. It was at my dad's house, and was stolen when his house got broken into one day!

jennontheisland
12-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Scary, but I'm not sure how the gun figures in it. They didn't see it, didn't know you had it, and ran away at someone saying "hey".

I'm glad you're okay.

Maryn
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Yikes! I'm glad you were there, that your husband was there, that they were thwarted, that the police were prompt, and all that, but I bet you're just pumping adrenaline and that later you might not feel as safe as you did until a half hour ago.

There's an answer, of course. When you replace whatever broke when he kicked in the door, go with something which can't be kicked in. Replace the door with steel, or get a long deadbolt lock.

Meanwhile, here. [Maryn hands you a shot of whiskey.]

Maryn, with a hug

kkbe
12-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Thank you guys. You know, you think you're safe in your own house. Our cute little house.

Is it weird that I'm writing right now? I'm thinking it's helping me take my mind off it, kind of. Or maybe it's letting me work through it or something.

Nothing happened, I mean, besides our door jam busting. The door was locked because we always lock our doors, even when we're home. I'm trying not to think about what might have happened. I know we were lucky.

Somebody had to have been pretty desperate though, right? Or stupid. Or stupid and desperate. And not too small because that door jamb splintered like nothing, busted the door open although the door is intact. It was locked but the deadbolt wasn't engaged.

Oh, man. No whiskey yet but I may rethink that.

I had that gun, just in case. I'm glad they didn't see it, I don't want to think. . .

Manuel Royal
12-07-2012, 10:19 PM
KKBE, I'm glad you're okay. I know that's scary. Glad you called 911; also glad you got a quick response (not likely in some Atlanta neighborhoods). Probably a random crime by idiots.

Of course, something ironic: my first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. It was at my dad's house, and was stolen when his house got broken into one day!Happens all the time. Smart burglars break in when nobody's home, so your guns are just one more thing to be stolen and sold. (All my weapons are hand-to-hand, but it's the same thing.)

If I ever own a house, I'd like to make it into a fortress -- or at least have doors that can't be knocked in by either criminals or cops.

ishtar'sgate
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
We've had that happen a few times. Once I was home alone and I heard someone trying the front door. The car was gone so they probably thought the house was empty. We had a great guard dog though so I just slipped him out the back door and he went around the front and took care of it.

Glad you're okay and they didn't actually get in. Pretty unnerving though.

Goldenleaves
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
It can take a while to get over the shock. Don't expect too much of yourself.

kkbe
12-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Thank you. Yep, unnerving. That's the word. It's the fact that our van was there, in the driveway , that's getting me the most. Wouldn't that indicate somebody was home?

That's the part that's scary.

Mclesh
12-07-2012, 11:00 PM
So glad you're okay. Very scary, especially with the forceful entry. It sounds like one of those random break-ins. Luckily you were home to scare them off.

We were burglarized several years ago. It's such a strange feeling knowing someone's been inside your house and seen all of your "stuff." I had a very hard time sleeping the first night. Surprisingly, though, that feeling went away pretty quickly and life moved on. I think we were a little more careful about locking doors after that.

GinnieHazel
12-07-2012, 11:10 PM
It's scary to see how many people on here have guns.

Also, the best kind of door to get would be a plastic one. They tend to bend rather than break with an impact and just spring back.

onesecondglance
12-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm glad you're ok, kkbe.

:Hug2:

kkbe
12-07-2012, 11:27 PM
You guys are being really nice and I appreciate it. I just told my husband to go hunting. He was going to spend the night but he's not going to now. I'm not going to be scared in my own house but I did just go around and turn on all the lights. Dang it.
GinnieHazel: It's scary to see how many people on here have guns.

Actually, though, I wouldn't want to be without a gun. I have a healthy respect for guns. I don't particularly like having it but I feel safer with than I would without. And I know how to use it. I don't want to. Ever. But if I needed to, I would. I would. I'd pull the trigger if I had to.

See, now I'm mad. What the stages of "getting the shit scared out of you?" Fright, feeling of disconnect, gratefulness, anger, lame attempts to laugh it off. . .

When does that shot of whiskey come in?

Johncs
12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Strange times we live in. Glad you're okay.

G. Applejack
12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm glad you're okay. *Offers second shot of whiskey*

Hopefully they find the creep soon!

WeaselFire
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
First, condolences and congratulations for surviving.

It's funny, I'm in the process of selecting a handgun for concealed carry and going to the gun show this weekend. Of course, I'm in Florida and, as in Texas, Arizona and South Dakota, we're practically required to have guns to be socially acceptable.

Jeff (Who also lives on a quiet street in a safe little town...)

ironmikezero
12-08-2012, 12:07 AM
The van parked where it normally is when you're home makes me suspect it may have been more than a simple burglary. Not to further alarm you, but some recent home invasions have been deliberate kidnapping and extortion attempts - almost always drug related. Unfortunately, the cartels involved don't always get the right address either. I'd keep a weather eye on the neighborhood.

Unimportant
12-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Yikes, how horrifying! I'm so glad you're safe.

Bloo
12-08-2012, 12:13 AM
The first time I went to college, I was home for lunch with my parents during summer school. We were all sitting around watching the Noon News when we heard something outside, all 3 of us went outside and saw someone breaking into the neighbor across the street's house. We called the cops and watched as the cops (the station was about 5 blocks away) pulled in in a similar manner (3 cars several cops) and watched as the two theives ran. When we were giving our statements we asked why they did it during the day, and the police told us that most break ins occur during the day because they figure no one is home. What they didn't take into account in our little Kansas town was that a lot of people go home for lunch.

We also had guns in the house, but we didn't pull ours just to be on the safe side. Glad to hear you're safe and okay. And I think it's good that you're writing, I'm sure it helps with the stress and "excitement".

folkchick
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Whew! So happy you got through that okay! Scary stuff, that.

kkbe
12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
So.

Calming down. Birds are tweeting. That's a good sign. And my phone is right here and I just called my mom.

Thanks, you guys. :Hug2:

ETA: I just realized that my signature for today is about a break in. Holy shit.

:chair

Chrissy
12-08-2012, 12:39 AM
So glad all is well.

Also, "Holy Shit" is an excellent thread title. :D (I mean, I was totally intrigued.)

Siri Kirpal
12-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Nothing to add, except: Be well.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kkbe
12-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Thank you so much, Siri and Chrissy, et al.
Chrissy: Also, "Holy Shit" is an excellent thread title. :D (I mean, I was totally intrigued.) Always the writer, I considered various titles, to wit:

"ohmigodsomebodyjustkickedinthesidedoor!!!!!!"

"Has this ever happened to you?"

"I ain't scared-a nuthin'!" she lied.

"What the fu--"

"Mommy!!!!"

Chrissy
12-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Thank you so much, Siri and Chrissy, et al. Always the writer, I considered various titles, to wit:

"ohmigodsomebodyjustkickedinthesidedoor!!!!!!"

"Has this ever happened to you?"

"I ain't scared-a nuthin'!" she lied.

"What the fu--"

"Mommy!!!!"

:ROFL: Yup, those would've worked too! You obviously don't have a problem with hooking the reader. :D

frankiebrown
12-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Holy shit.

Nice quiet street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Middle of the day. Our van was in the driveway for Christ's sake.

Somebody rang the doorbell. My husband went to the front to answer the door, next thing we know, the side door's kicked in, door jam splintered, holy shit. I'm calling 911 with one hand, getting the shotgun with the other.

My husband yelled, "Hey!" and whomever it was took off. Cops came right away, five cops, three cars. They checked everywhere, took our names, said they'd check the neighborhood and they left.

And now I feel kind of scared and really pissed and there's a disconnect, like it didn't happen because how could it have happened? We live on a nice street in Suburbia, U.S.A. Our van was in the driveway. It was the middle of the day for Christ's sake.

Holy shit I'm glad my husband was home with me. I'm glad we have that gun. I'm glad they ran. I'm glad they didn't get in. Trying to calm down here, put it in perspective. Shit, though.

Sounds like good material for a new WIP. Glad nothing bad happened.

RobertEvert
12-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Holy shit.

Holy crap! Holy f... crap! Are you okay? I mean, of course you aren't...but...holy crap!

Perspective to say the least! :Hug2: I hope they catch the person!

Richard Paolinelli
12-08-2012, 01:35 AM
Glad to hear you're all okay. Doubt the idiot will come back any time soon.

Closest I can come to this is my sister and seven-year-old brother were at home one day, the doorbell rings and she goes to answer it. As she approaches the door she sees, through the back sliding glass door, someone jump over the cinder block fence and into the backyard.

He took one step forward then immediately hurled himself back over the 8-foot-tall fence from a stand still because our very pissed off German Shepard was barreling in on him with intent to bite him in half.

My sister called the cops, then heard the jumper calling out to his partner at the front door to run away. Apparently at the time there was a two-man team breaking into occupied homes this way.

I told my sister she should have opened the back door, let the dog in and then opened the front door and let him get to work. The deputy that arrived to investigate said the same thing.

ArachnePhobia
12-08-2012, 01:41 AM
That's horrible! I'm glad you're okay.

shakeysix
12-08-2012, 01:47 AM
I was making breakfast one winter morning almost 30 years ago. The front and back doors were locked. The kitchen door was bolted, but not locked. We lived on a quiet street in Dodge City, Kansas and did not always lock the doors. And then somehow the knob turned on the kitchen door. Whoever was opening it was very strong. I saw a man's hand in the door. He pushed against the bolt. I watched in horror as the chain and bolt pulled almost away from the door frame. It was like slow motion. And then I came to my senses and screamed. My husband was in the bedroom and came barreling out. He caught the hand. It was attached to a young man in a ski cap and heavy coat. The man pulled away and ran. Husband--all five foot six and 130 lbs of him--gave chase barefoot and cursing. The man got away. He must have been on the porch for sometime watching me.

We didn't think to call the police at first. We ran to check on the kids and then called. It was before 911 so calling was an O for operator. They took down a description but of what? I really didn't see enough to be definite. It haunted me for years. It goes on a loop whenever you are alone or feeling insecure. God be with you--s6

cleaverton
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
These days you just can't be too careful or too prepared. It's sad :( So glad you are okay!

It's odd that they tried with a vehicle sitting in the driveway. But, yes, daytime is when a lot of burglaries occur because most people (who don't have to rob other people) are at work. Especially around Christmas time because a lot of houses have gifts sitting around. We put our Christmas tree away from a window so nobody can look in and see the presents sitting there.

My hubby and I both have weapons and keep them close. He has a 9 mm and I have a Taurus .380 (mine's pink ;) We also have shotguns and rifles. If somebody knocks on the door and we aren't expecting anybody, he answers with his gun tucked in his belt. He also has a CCW and is "packing" at all times.

It's a sad thing that this is almost necessary, but in reality, you really can't be too careful.

Hugs to you!

Rowan
12-08-2012, 02:05 AM
I didn't know what to expect with the 'holy shit' title but...wow. I'm glad you're okay.

I'm also a gun owner and I won't apologize for it.

Wicked
12-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Glad you're all right. :)

The hubby is leaving the shotgun with you, right?
Might I add that a fire extinguisher makes a handy self defense tool. Think of it as the world's biggest can of mace.
Not to mention you can bludgeon their dumb ass with the tank afterwards. :D

kkbe
12-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Thank you, thank you!

I have the shotgun. Safety off, rack it, pull the trigger. I'm good.

That van thing is the kicker, isn't it? I just can't fathom. . .

My attack kitty did diddly squat, btw. I'm gonna have to have a little confab with him, right after I rub his belly.

For good luck.

Snowstorm
12-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Oh, I'm so relieved that you were home and were able to defend yourselves and your home! I've never experienced such a thing, so I can't offer you anything, but a hug and a big sigh of relief on your behalf. Take things easy on yourself.

cleaverton
12-08-2012, 02:30 AM
The blow dryer thing reminded me of something. Years ago, there was a movie called Ten to Midnight (or something like that). It was about a serial killer that stabbed people. He broke into somebody's house and they ran and locked themselves in the bathroom. Of course, he eventually busted the bathroom door down. But, the victim plugged in her curling iron while in there, so it was good and hot. She burned him across the eyes/bridge of nose with it (and got away, I think).

That has always stuck with me and in writing over the years, I've come up with ways you can use ordinary household items to defend yourself. A can of hairspray and a lighter will shoot a flame.

I feel plots coming on...

Manuel Royal
12-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Thank you, thank you!

I have the shotgun. Safety off, rack it, pull the trigger. I'm good.I don't like guns, but if I had one for home defense, it'd be a pump shotgun. (Probably a Mossberg.) They make semi-automatic shotguns, but the advantage of a pump is just the sound of a shell being racked might send an intruder away in a hurry. (Or possibly get you killed. It's always a gamble. But I'd rather take a risk than be a passive victim of a home invasion.)

I was burglarized, but it was while I was away overnight. They burned the place down, so I came home to a smoldering ruin.

ladyleeona
12-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Whoa.

Seems like the baddies are getting bolder and bolder. Glad y'all are okay!

Also, the best kind of door to get would be a plastic one. They tend to bend rather than break with an impact and just spring back.

Pray tell, why?

kkbe
12-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Snowstorm, I am and I shall. Thank you for the hug.

Manual, I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine. So is that what I have, a pump? Racking it makes noise, that's for sure. I bet it might deter somebody. I think it's a Mossberg, it was my dad's.

Ladyleeona, thank you. I was wondering about that plastic door idea, too. I never heard of a plastic door.

Cleaverton, I know. I was looking around the house. . . I have a hairclip with sharp teeth I could use. Hmm. An antique toast fork. Maybe I should watch "Home Alone" for ideas. We have half-full paint cans downstairs. Putputt sent me a video -- I could rig my hair dryer with two rolls of toilet paper and turn it to high--stun 'em with flying TP--actually, that was hilarious. . .

I could eat a can of beans and . . .:e2moon:>>>> :Wha:

CQuinlan
12-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Glad to know you are okay. We've never been robbed. We came close once with someone trying to pry open a window at night but our house alarm went off and they ran.

Derail/

Pray tell, why?

Cultural thing.

Many of us aren't Americans and it's just bizarre.

Self defense isn't an acceptable reason for having a gun here. They are for hunters but some drug-related criminals have them (and as a result one kind of law officer).
Most criminals won't even have them. Like 99% of criminals. Muggings might happen at knife-point but no guns.

So, here they are seen as things solely for killing. That's why it's a bit scary and strange.

/derail

Rhoda Nightingale
12-08-2012, 04:26 AM
See, now I'm mad. What the stages of "getting the shit scared out of you?" Fright, feeling of disconnect, gratefulness, anger, lame attempts to laugh it off. . .

When does that shot of whiskey come in?

Whenever you need it. ;)

We had our house broken into a couple years ago. We have two houses actually, and this was the one where we don't live that much anymore--not getting into the why and how, but we go over there to pick up the mail and stuff. And on one such day, we came back to find every drawer yanked out and ransacked, all the contents thrown everywhere all over the floor.

They took several antique silver dollars that my grandfather had given to me and my brother, and lots of jewelry. Including my high school ring, which pissed me off more than anything else. It's probably the least valuable thing they took, but that's my ring you know? It had my initials and graduation year on it. I'm still pissed off about that.

Which is to say--glad you're safe, and nothing happened, but that unnerving feeling that someone is actually mean and desperate enough to try and violate your living space (and in my case, succeed)? That takes a looooong time to wear off. Don't feel bad if you can't shake it.

For the record--we don't have a gun, but we do have a heavy aluminum baseball bat next to the door. Not that it did us any good last time, but...it's there.

kkbe
12-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Thank you CQ and Rhoda, very much. Oh, man. Rhoda, I can't imagine. You know what's by our door? A graboid thingie. :Wha: You know, for reaching stuff when you can't bend. I had plenty of time to perfect my graboid skills recovering from:e2beat:. . .

WARNING: Poster about to tell health-related personal anectdote.

:e2zipped: *whew* that was close.

It's not a heavy bat :e2fight:but maybe if I aimed it just right I could grab. . .:tmi

WARNING: poster is about to mention a delicate area of the male anatomy.

:Wha: *whew* that was close.

jaksen
12-08-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm glad that everything turned out okay for you, and glad that you keep a gun in the house!

I own a .410 shotgun and my husband has an M-1 and an AR-15 rifle. Whenever I come into the house, I always lock the door as soon as it closes. My .410 may not kill an attacker, but I think it would still be a suitable deterrent if the necessity arose. Besides, I enjoy shooting it. :)

Of course, something ironic: my first gun was a 20 gauge shotgun. It was at my dad's house, and was stolen when his house got broken into one day!

The line I like in all of this is 'Whenever I come into the house, I always lock the door...'

You'd be surprised how many people NEVER do this.

I was followed into my house as a young girl, through a garage door that opened into a side porch. I shut the door and locked it, as I was taught to do. Unbeknownst to me, someone was in the garage trying to follow me in and started banging on the door and turning the handle. I moved to open it, thinking it was my grandmother, who lived next door. (Omg, Ilockedmyowngrandmotherout!) But then my uncle's two German short-haired pointers came racing from across the street (he lived over there but wasn't home) and they went mental in the garage, barking, growling, etc. A sure sign that whoever was in the garage was NOT friend, family or neighbor. I looked out a back window to see a man, all in dark, sort of stooped over, running through my backyard with the dogs behind him. (He went out through the garage's back door.)

I have repeated and told this story to students, friends, family, my own children for close to 40 years. Those dogs - and the way I was taught - saved me that day. From what? The imagination reels.

When you go home, and esp. if you are home alone, lock your door behind you.

And I am glad you are okay, kkbe.

T. Trian
12-08-2012, 05:35 AM
@ kkbe & hubby

Both, myself and K. Trian are glad that you and yours are okay. And hey, you guys did good, you deserve a finger of good whisky: neither of you "froze," you both acted in a rational way and came out of a dangerous situation unscathed. In our book that spells good job! :)

Now, about these posts:

Actually, though, I wouldn't want to be without a gun. I have a healthy respect for guns. I don't particularly like having it but I feel safer with than I would without. And I know how to use it. I don't want to. Ever. But if I needed to, I would. I would. I'd pull the trigger if I had to.

It's funny, I'm in the process of selecting a handgun for concealed carry and going to the gun show this weekend. Of course, I'm in Florida and, as in Texas, Arizona and South Dakota, we're practically required to have guns to be socially acceptable.

Jeff (Who also lives on a quiet street in a safe little town...)

My hubby and I both have weapons and keep them close. He has a 9 mm and I have a Taurus .380 (mine's pink ;) We also have shotguns and rifles. If somebody knocks on the door and we aren't expecting anybody, he answers with his gun tucked in his belt. He also has a CCW and is "pack

I'm also a gun owner and I won't apologize for it.

THAT right there is why the US of A = http://absolutewrite.net/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

I hope this doesn't come across offensive, but what's scary about responsible gun ownership?

Cultural thing.

Many of us aren't Americans and it's just bizarre.

I and the Mrs. aren't Americans but we have a 9x19mm pistol in the house and though we live in a country where (hand)gun ownership is frowned upon, we're damn proud about our choice to do whatever needs to be done in order to protect our loved ones. To us that isn't bizarre; it's common sense. I know this sounds pompous and corny (read the text above my avatar), but I would go to hell and back to protect the person I love most in the whole world, no matter what.

Hence: kkbe & hubby, aixsponsa & hubby, WeaselFire, cleaverton & hubby, and Rowan: hats off! http://absolutewrite.net/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

PS. WeaselFire, you picked your gun yet? If you want simplicity, ease of use and maintenance, reliability, and a pistol that does pretty much everything (carries comfortably, contains enough oomph, stands up to IPSC competitions etc), my votes go for Glock 19 or Springfield Armory XD-9 if you prefer a 1911 grip angle over Glock's.

Filigree
12-08-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm fond of shotguns, myself. Nothing quite like the sound of cocking the thing, and it doesn't take precision aim to use. Responsible gun ownership is the key.

Calla Lily
12-08-2012, 06:03 AM
kkbe, very glad you're okay!

I grew up in the inner city. Every door and all the street-level windows were always locked, period. We were nearly robbed once when I was little, but the cops were patrolling and scared them off. Several years later, a guy came onto our porch and tried to get in the front door, but we had a deadbolt and a chain on it and he ran.

We live in the burbs now--lovely area with a church across the street. We still lock every door as soon as we come in. Because of that, and because one summer day we came home for lunch and left our garage door open and our kids' bikes were stolen. Punk bastards.

*more hugs* and I'm glad you have a gun and know how to use it.

kkbe
12-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Jaksen, you were lucky. Man, it happens and you think. . . actually, you don't think, you react, right? Now's when I'm thinking. Anyway, thanks. Yep, we always, always lock our doors. When we were kids, we didn't but it was different then.

Thank you, Calla. I appreciate your hugs and support. This place is. . .

Wait.

T. Trian, excellent points raised and I thank you very much for your kind words and Filigree, thank you, too. You're right, responsible ownership is paramount and I'll add, so is having a healthy respect for what guns are and what they can potentially do.

Funny, after it happened, after we caught our breath, my husband ejected the shells and I had one of my semi-annual practice sessions. Every couple of months I review how to use the thing.

I have to say, I felt less afraid with that gun in my hands, even though it wasn't loaded and that noise when I racked the thing? Made me feel secure somehow.

I posted today here, I don't know why. I just needed to tell somebody and I thought a mod was going to move me and instead I'm moved by everybody here. I'm so lucky, you guys. I really appreciate it.

Chumplet
12-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Number one: I'm glad you're safe.
Number two: I'm Canadian and gun ownership is still foreign to me.
Number three: I think I need to know how to shoot a gun. Just in cases.
Number four: This is an excellent post for writers. Everyone showed... SHOWED us how a break-in, or a showdown with a criminal can make us feel. This is excellent information.
I'm so glad no one was hurt, when so many of these altercations can end with tragedy.

Cliff Face
12-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Wow... that's terrible!

Glad you're okay (more or less). I've never had to deal with any of that, but I still lock every door behind me. You can never be too careful.

Silver King
12-08-2012, 07:20 AM
...I posted today here, I don't know why. I just needed to tell somebody and I thought a mod was going to move me and instead I'm moved by everybody here. I'm so lucky, you guys. I really appreciate it.

A mod did move your discussion from Roundtable, though you're still safe here in Office Party. :)

Rhoda Nightingale
12-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Number one: I'm glad you're safe.
Number two: I'm Canadian and gun ownership is still foreign to me.
Number three: I think I need to know how to shoot a gun. Just in cases.
Number four: This is an excellent post for writers. Everyone showed... SHOWED us how a break-in, or a showdown with a criminal can make us feel. This is excellent information.
I'm so glad no one was hurt, when so many of these altercations can end with tragedy.

On that note, to set the scene: the first thing my mom noticed when she went inside was that it was drafty. Because one of the windows was broken. (That's how they got inside.)

fireluxlou
12-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm glad you're ok and safe! That sounds absolutely scary but it's great the police responded so urgently.

I'm British, gun ownership is unknown to me. I'm quite scared of guns and the sound of them. Never known anyone but farmers to own them. Last time I heard the sound of a gun I went hysterical and burst into tears. Eck. It's mainly because we went to the army camp and there was guys in military uniform practicing as we made them lunch.

Putputt
12-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Um, I just saw this thread.

Kkbe, SO glad you're okay, woman!!! Sorry I wasn't around to give you a huge hippo hug!

Gotta say, you sound pretty badass though. Phone in one hand, shotgun in the other...phew! Remind me never to mess with you. My instinctive reaction to emergencies is to freeze like a hamster. Your way I think is much more effective.

I know you're feeling better, but here's a hug anyway. :Hug2:

kkbe
12-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Chumplet, Cliff Face, Silver King, Rhoda, Fireluxlou, Putputt--

Thank you. And Chumplet, you're right, I'm really glad nobody was hurt, I'm thankful for that. Trying not to think 'what if.' Rhoda, that goes for you, too. You were lucky. I'm glad and Cliff Face, you're right, it's good to lock your doors, even when you're home. Silver King, I do feel safe here. :) Thank you. fireluxlou, I know what you mean about not liking guns and I can see how the noise would be distressing. Here we have the right to bear arms but the subject is polarizing. I'm glad we had that shotgun. I'm glad I didn't have to use it. Putputt, thanks for the hug. As for being a badass. . .

I actually dared whisper to myself last night, "We were victims of a home invasion," then I rejected it. Not victims. Not even close.

The reality is, every day there are people dealing with a whole hell of a lot worse. A thousand times worse. We're fortunate that yesterday's event was an anomaly for us, not an every day occurrence. We were shook up but nobody was hurt, nothing was taken, damage was minimal, police came right away. And you guys really helped me yesterday. I'm very grateful.

We were really lucky. Maybe blessed is the better word.

bearilou
12-08-2012, 05:14 PM
ZOMG KKBE ZOMG

I'm so glad everyone is okay. What a scary thing to have happened. I'm glad no one was hurt.

:e2arms:

GailD
12-08-2012, 05:34 PM
kkbe, I'm so glad you weren't hurt, though I understand how very frightening such an experience can be. It's good that you're talking about it and not trying to just push it out of your mind.

Sadly, your experience is not unusual in South Africa. We're having serious problems with crime at the moment. We've had nine break-ins and attempted break-ins in the six years we've been in this house. The first time, the security system hadn't been switched on (I didn't realize it was pet-friendly) and they got in and trashed my house, taking about $2,000 worth of goods. We put up electric fencing but they found a way over that so we had to extend the electric fence from a 5-strand to an 8-strand on 9,500v. This rests on top of 6' precast walls. Then they tried getting in by removing slats from the wall - so we had to extend the electric fence once again and take it down to almost ground level.

It's a been a year now that nobody has tried getting over our walls but someone did try and bend open the metal uprights on the palisade fencing in the front of our property. (A neighbor saw them and they jumped into their car and sped off.) It sucks! Indoors we have motion detectors connected to an alarm, which in turn is connected to an armed response security company, and peripheral alarms outdoors. We have burglar bars on all opening windows and security doors (always locked) and I still don't feel safe in my own home! And this is a quiet, middle-class neighborhood.)

And you know what's really funny? We don't actually own anything of great value and most of our stuff is old, but not yet antique. Ha! (Except my hubby - he's antique. :)) It's the home invasion thing that really scares me.

Please AWer's. You're precious. Lock your doors!!!

kkbe
12-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Bearilou and GailD, thank you so much. Feeling the love with that big ol' hug. :Hug2:GailD, that must be. . . I don't know. I can't imagine.

That's the thing, your home is the one secure place. That's what you think. We live in a quiet suburban neighborhood, lots of kids, ours is ethnic and that's good, and people have been fixing up their homes after the bottom dropped out, getting back on their feet. We like to leave the front door open, the storm door is almost completely glass, heavy-duty, though. We keep it locked. My kitty Max likes to look outside. Little kids come on our porch and talk to him. We know our mail lady and she keeps everybody informed of everything. We know our neighbors. heck, our next door neighbors are always inviting us over for bonfires in the summer. On the other side, our Greek neighbors grow grapes. They're gone for three months every year, back to Greece. My husband cuts their grass. Nobody's ever messed with their house. We look out for each other.

Nobody expects to be eating lunch and all of a sudden, somebody's kicking in the door, trying to get in. . .

K. Trian
12-08-2012, 07:32 PM
So this was the first incident like this in your neighborhood? It's scary. One thinks the place is safe, and then some bastard wrecks the idyll >:/ glad you guys are ok.

Weird things happened on our porch too a few weeks back. The gate was open (we always close the latch), a bamboo curtain was all topsy-turvy, and the sounds I had heard the previous night, I deemed as a dream... until I saw the porch. We put a burglar alarm on the gate for a few nights after that (we can't keep it all the time 'cause it's a huge hassle to unplug it whenever we ourselves want to leave the house), but nothing happened.

It's been quiet now, but it sure would be nice to own a dog. I'm so glad my mom and her bf who live in the middle of nowhere just bought a laika, these dogs look like wolves, plus there're rifles in the house, because there've been burglaries around the village too.

kkbe
12-09-2012, 12:51 AM
K. Trian, I don't like to hear that. We live in a suburb about 15 miles outside Detroit. It's decent. Lots of little kids, different ethnicities, young families and older folks. Diverse. There's a great ice cream place on the next block across from a 7-Eleven. Across the street there's a place that sells all kinds of foods from Mexico. There's a Greek restaurant on the corner. It's a working class neighborhood, but nice. Lots of old trees. We have fruit trees in our backyard and when we grow pumpkins we invite the neighborhood kids to take their pick from our pumpkin patch.

Actually, it's a pretty good place to live.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-09-2012, 04:24 AM
So glad you and yours are okay and safe, kkbe. It's an unfortunate fact of life these days that it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, you're not as safe as you used to be or as you'd like to be.

For those of you who are afraid of guns... I was afraid of them, too, at one time. The reason I was afraid of them was because I didn't know anything about them besides the obvious. Learning how to use them, learning how to take them down and clean them and put them back together, learning everything I can about them - including that I actually enjoy shooting and I'm damn good at it - has not only made me lose that fear, it's made me and my loved ones more safe.

Guns aren't for everyone, but it can only help to become more familiar with them (if they're legally available to you, obviously), even if it's only to help take the edge off your fear.

rhymegirl
12-09-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm glad you're ok and safe! That sounds absolutely scary but it's great the police responded so urgently.

Number one, I agree with you that I'm glad she is okay and safe.

I'm British, gun ownership is unknown to me. I'm quite scared of guns and the sound of them. Never known anyone but farmers to own them. Last time I heard the sound of a gun I went hysterical and burst into tears. Eck. It's mainly because we went to the army camp and there was guys in military uniform practicing as we made them lunch.

When I read this my first thought was maybe I should live in the UK. Just so you know, even though I live in the US, many people who live here are anti-guns and I am one of them.

Ambrosia
12-09-2012, 06:02 AM
kkbe, I am so glad you and your husband are safe. What a terrifying experience you have had.

I don't know what a plastic door is, but I have a "metal" door. In reality it is metal clad inside and out but has a foam core. I am pretty sure it would take a lot of abuse before it came down. The weak point on my door is the lock. If anyone wanted to break in it wouldn't take much. I doubt even the frame would suffer much damage like yours did. lol! But, once they did break in they would have to face down two very large dogs. So I am not very worried about it.

I am glad you have proper training in how to use the gun that you have. Responsible ownership is key. I wish I had a gun, but more for shooting varmints than for protection. I wouldn't hesitate to protect myself if the need arose, however. I salute you.

kkbe
12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Ol' Fashioned Girl: So glad you and yours are okay and safe, kkbe. It's an unfortunate fact of life these days that it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, you're not as safe as you used to be or as you'd like to be. We're okay, thank you very much O. You're right, it's not the same. We used to sleep in the living room in summer, us kids I mean, no air conditioning so we'd lay on the floor, hoping for a breeze through the screen door, which we never locked.
rhymegirl: I'm glad she is okay and safe.

Just so you know, even though I live in the US, many people who live here are anti-guns and I am one of them.
We are okay and safe, rhymegirl. Thank you for that. I'm less scared of guns now than I used to be because I know how to use a gun--a shotgun, I mean--so I'm not so scared. And I like to know I have that option available if I need it. I'd rather have it than not have it. I think I understand how you feel, though, considering how many people are shot and killed. Sometimes arbitrarily. Sometimes accidentally. Too often it's young people, which is a tragedy, they're killing each other but I still say, most people are good. I believe that, I really do.
Ambrosia: I wouldn't hesitate to protect myself if the need arose, however. I salute you. Ambrosia, thank you. I kept my wits during everything but when the cops came, I started crying. I was scared the guy got in our basement. I kept thinking, Thank God he didn't shoot my husband, Jesus. I was thinking how much worse it could have been. So basically, for a while there I was a snivelling bowl of Jello.

Last night I found myself thinking of those 'what if' scenarios. And I wondered what that guy was thinking, lying in his own bed. Maybe nothing. Hopefully, not about trying again.

I have to quit thinking like that.

Lady MacBeth
12-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Terrifying! Glad you and your husband are okay.

Chase
12-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Glad you're safe, Kkbe.

A significant number of anti-gunners in the U.S. are like those amateur, semi-pro, and professional robbers who burgled your home. They hate the serious gun owner.

Keeping your scattergun close was smart in case they may have decided to come back for that beautiful 43-inch flat screen. Crooks aren't the brightest bulbs on the strand.

Most of my guns and small valuables are in a heavy gun safe. Bolted to it is a small steel safe which springs open when I insert my hand and press two buttons with the correct fingers. I keep my spare carry gun there.

As much as I'm glad you and your family are safe, I'm glad you aren't letting the bad guys scare you enough to run your life.

quickWit
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I kept thinking, Thank God he didn't shoot my husband, Jesus.

Hey, tell your hubs I said Happy Birthday!

:e2bouncey

Komnena
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
glad you're safe.

kkbe
12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Lady and Komnena, thank you. quickWit, yeah. Really.

It seems surreal. So weird. Two things especially are bothering me: the fact that whoever it was hardly waited between ringing our doorbell and kicking open that door. Why wouldn't he wait a minute to make nobody was home? And our van was right in our driveway, pretty close to the house. I could see if no car had been in the driveway. I keep wondering, what would possess somebody to take such a risk? What was that person's mindset?

Then my girlfriend said, "Thank God Chris was home. What if you'd been downstairs or in the tub or something?"

I hadn't even thought of that. . . holy shit.

Putputt
12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Lady and Komnena, thank you. quickWit, yeah. Really.

It seems surreal. So weird. Two things especially are bothering me: the fact that whoever it was hardly waited between ringing our doorbell and kicking open that door. Why wouldn't he wait a minute to make nobody was home? And our van was right in our driveway, pretty close to the house. I could see if no car had been in the driveway. I keep wondering, what would possess somebody to take such a risk? What was that person's mindset?

Maybe instead of an attempted break-in, it was a dare? Or part of an initiation to join the "cool" gang? Bash in someone's door and run away.

Of course, I could be totally wrong...but it's the only plausible explanation I can think of why they would do that knowing that people are home.

Then my girlfriend said, "Thank God Chris was home. What if you'd been downstairs or in the tub or something?"

I hadn't even thought of that. . . holy shit.

Okay, you have 10 seconds to think about it, then I'm ordering you to go do something nice, like eating a whole bar of Hersheys cookies n creme. Or doing some stretches while eating a whole bar of Hersheys cookies n creme. Or smelling some flowers while eating...you get the point. Don't let what that a$$hole did further traumatise you!

:Hug2:

ETA: Is that parrot leering? I don't trust it. It looks smug. It is definitely leering.

EMaree
12-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm so glad you're safe, kkbe. You responded to the situation very well, probably much better than I would have. :)

kkbe
12-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Putputt: Maybe instead of an attempted break-in, it was a dare? Or part of an initiation. . .Bash in someone's door and run away.I never thought of that. I like that idea.
Okay, you have 10 seconds to think about it, then I'm ordering you to go do something nice, like eating a whole bar of Hersheys cookies n creme. I just ate two almond cookies.

Okay, five. :)

I get your point, Putputt. Thx. for that. EMaree, thank you, too. You know what, though? You never know, you might surprise yourself.

I've found out that in an emergency, I do okay but after it's over I kind of fall apart for a little while. I guess that's okay.

kkbe
12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Our little neighborhood is under siege. We just found out that our neighbors two doors down had their home broken into. Same m.o., side door kicked in. No-one was home. Maybe that's a good thing. They have a little boy. The thief or thieves went through every room, they took money, some change, costume jewelry. It happened between 5 and 8 p.m. last night.

This is not good. At all.

Putputt
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh my gawd. Guess I was wrong about it being a dare.

Augh, not sure what I can do to help, kkbe, but I'm sending so many hugs and good thoughts to you and your neighbors right now. I can't imagine how frightening it must be to come back and find that your home has been broken into.

Please make a post on AW once a day so we know you're okay and I don't flip mah shit!

Manuel Royal
12-11-2012, 03:27 AM
@ kkbe & hubby

Both, myself and K. Trian are glad that you and yours are okay. And hey, you guys did good, you deserve a finger of good whisky: neither of you "froze," you both acted in a rational way and came out of a dangerous situation unscathed. In our book that spells good job! :)Hear, hear.

And, I think having a gun is a personal choice, but if any of us do keep a firearm around for defense, we have to be mentally prepared to kill someone. That's what these smash-and-grab idiots are risking (though more likely they'll end up in jail).

With two break-ins in the same block in the same week, I guess they've got people's attention. I bet somebody will either see them, or have a good idea who it is, and they'll get nabbed.

kkbe
12-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Putputt, Manual,

We are officially in high alert mode.

xo, you guys.

kkbe
12-12-2012, 12:26 AM
A couple of hours ago, another neighbor's home was broken into, middle of the day, door kicked in, but this time, people saw who he was. Another neighbor watched him kick in the door and called the cops. He got in, the poor lady was home. She's older but she kept her wits and he stayed calm. She didn't see a weapon so that was good. He ripped the necklace right off her neck, told her he was doing this because he was sick, then he ran and two other neighbors saw him running into a house about four down from us, across the street.

The lady's daughter is a cop. They got a warrant, took away 3 people in handcuffs. All of us are very relieved, very thankful. . .

So.

Ambrosia
12-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I am so glad they got the people doing this! If they arrested three people does that mean all three of them were doing it? Very weird.

Glad you are ok. :Hug2:

Maryn
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Sigh... I love a happy ending.

Sorry, loser, "sick" doesn't mean it's okay to kick down doors and take other people's things.

Maryn, who's been sick before (but not withdrawal-type sick, if that's what he meant)

kkbe
12-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Ambrosia, I don't know why they arrested everybody in that house. Neighbors saw the one guy do it. I think the young woman lives there and the other guy was a friend. I'm just so glad that lady today wasn't hurt, God.

Maryn, I know what you mean. He said he's sick and I'm thinking, you f*ing liar, you're a thief and a drug addict. But then I'm thinking, he probably is, and when you're addicted you need it, it costs money, you don't have any, you're going to get it. You're going to take chances. He is sick, probably. No excuse but he probably is. Hard to believe one person (or two? three?) can wreak such havoc.

Oh, we heard something else today, too--people living in that house (and it's a nice house, brick and looks nice from the outside) are slated for eviction Dec. 17. I don't know if that had anything to do with this crime wave stuff. . .

buz
12-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Yikes bikes. Glad that everything's okay now (well, for most people...sounds like the three arrested have some rough times ahead, unfortunately).

Scary. :Hug2:

Manuel Royal
12-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm glad nobody got hurt. There's no excuse for the crime itself, but those sound like three people whose lives aren't going well.

Putputt
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Oh dang! Real glad to hear they caught the culprit/s behind this! And good job to that lady for staying calm, geez. I would've been shitting my pants, no joke.

But yaaay, so glad to know you and your neighbors are all right! :Hug2:

EMaree
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm so glad that lady didn't get hurt, and that they've caught the culprits. The neighbours seem like nice, smart people.

seun
12-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Scary shit. Hope it passes quickly.

As for guns, I wouldn't know what to do with one even if you gave me the simplest handgun in the world. My most dangerous weapon is my biting wit.

Write_Askew
12-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm glad they caught them! I am sure everyone in your neighborhood will sleep better knowing there is less danger. Ugh, and around the holidays too. People are so messed up.

We had a neighbor who was really big into fencing scrap metal. (I hated that guy so much, the landlord never does background checks. His replacement was a child predator.) Everyone knew what he was doing, but no one had any way of doing anything about it. The police were always at his house...Anyway, he made the mistake of breaking in to my opposite side neighbor's house one night. Nice neighbor met him at the door with a gun while his wife called the police. They were kind enough to come tell us, even though it was the dead of night. I was glad it finally got stopped. It was scary.

I hope you don't have any more scary, terrible people in your neighborhood now. Its terrible not to have peace of mind even when you lock your doors at night. I'll be sending you wishes for a safe and happy holiday, now that this is all over for you.

Hugs.

GailD
12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
They got a warrant, took away 3 people in handcuffs. All of us are very relieved, very thankful. . .

So.

:Clap: This is great! Let's hope they can't make bail either. :)

I'm glad this is over for you kkbe!

:D

Myrealana
12-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Glad the culpret has been caught.

We were burglarized several years ago. I decided to come home from work early one day. No particular reason, I just didn't have much to do so I got home at about 1:00. The front door was standing open, and I freaked out thinking my son had left it unlatched when he left for school, and that my cats would have gotten out.

I rushed into the house and started shaking cat treats, when it suddenly occurred to me that all the cabinet doors were standing open, as was the door to the basement - which is never open. That was when I panicked, called the cops and had them come clear the house. All I could think was that my 11-year-old son was SUPPOSED to be the first one home that day. He should have been the one to find it. There was no good reason that I happened to be there before him. I can't imagine his panic if he had been the one to discover it.

They stole all our XBox games - but left the XBox, DVDs - not the DVD players, about $1000 in cash and all my jewelry. Actually, we were lucky. For some reason they passed over the five computers, the TVs and my husband's video equipment. I guess they didn't want to take the time to unhook anything. They did take my younger son's favorite piggy bank and my grandmother's wedding rings. Jerks.

The Sheriff said there had been a lot of similar incidents. Their M.O. was to come to the front door during the day and knock. If someone answered, they would pretend to be collecting for charity or selling magazines. If no one answered, then the would go around to the back and break in. No one was ever caught and none of our items were ever recovered.

Since then, we have installed a security system, a lock on the basement door and adopted a German Shepherd.

A few weeks ago, I was working from home and there was a knock at the door. When I checked out the corner of the window, there were two men in puffy coats with caps covering their faces. I decided not to answer. Then, our dog went psycho - barking, growling, and sounding for all the world like she was going to kill something.

Both men took off running. I seriously think my dog may have prevented a second break-in that day.

kkbe
12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
May I tell you guys something?

I wrote that first post an hour after somebody kicked in the door of our house. I was scared and feeling really vulnerable. I took a chance, not knowing what response, if any, I would get. I just needed to tell somebody.

I don't know a lot of you guys. It doesn't matter. You've been so kind and supportive, so generous. You've really helped me deal with this and I'm grateful to you. How many different ways can I say thank you without beginning to sound trite?

I don't care. Thank you, every single one of you. Thank you so much.

-kkbe :Hug2:

MaryMumsy
12-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Glad the guy was caught. And it sounds like the other people in the house must have known what he was doing.

One of many great things about AW is that there is always someone here. Most of us may not know each other in "meat space", but you'll get a hug any time day or night.

MM

kkbe
12-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Yep. To which I say, xoxo.

Jess Haines
12-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm glad they were caught, but in a way I feel bad for the guy committing the crimes. Sounds like he was backed into a corner and didn't know what else to do.

Terrible that it came to that, but it's good that no one was hurt and that he's no longer in a position where he can try to pull that again.

Lady MacBeth
12-13-2012, 03:13 AM
OMG. This story just gives me the chills. I'm so glad it worked out okay. You must be sleeping better.

kkbe
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Jess, I know what you mean. I feel bad for the guy but you can't go around wreaking havoc, kicking in peoples' doors, scaring people to death and taking a chance that something terrible won't happen. I'm glad he was caught.

Lady, I am sleeping better. It's like a huge weight was lifted off of me. You know what else? We've talked to our neighbors more in the past week than in the past year. Shame on us. They're really nice people. We live on a good street, with good people. We're so lucky.

Thanks, you guys.