PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Into the Darknss

Zoombie
12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Oooooooooooooooooh

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012/12/teaser-trailer-for-star-trek-2-into-darkness/

Not much here, but it looks like it's going to be as action packed as the last one. Whether that's good or bad is really up to you. I personally prefer energetic, action adventure Star Trek to dull, boring Star Trek.

Of course, both of those pale to what I think is the best of Star Trek: Where the action and adventure works with character and clever sci-fi to create engaging, thrilling tales.

Still, we'll see!

EMaree
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Nothing about the plot really sticks out from the trailer, it seems a bit generic, but I'm excited to see how Benedict Cumberbatch handles the role.

Mr Flibble
12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Where the action and adventure works with character and clever sci-fi to create engaging, thrilling tales.

I concur. I'm looking forward to this a lot. Doesn't hurt it has Karl Urban in it for me to crush on :D

Calla Lily
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Karl Urban was BRILLIANT as McCoy. :Hail: (I'm profoundly sick of seeing him on-screen, as sick as I am of Johnny Depp, but here: wowsers.)

I can't wait to see what Cumberbatch does.

Justin Bossert
12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to it. I'm always skeptical when it comes to reboots but JJ Abrams really did a nice job of re-introducing the characters and still giving us plenty of action and nice special effects.

We're going to see the Hobbit at IMAX, in part so we can see the nine minute trailer for Star Trek. They've kept the details under wraps so well, it's worth the extra money to get a glimpse of what's in store.

Goldenleaves
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Another Star Trek coming? SERIOUSLY??? Whoooo! Hooray!:snoopy: Thanks for telling me, I didn't know. :hooray:

J.W. Alden
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
We're going to see the Hobbit at IMAX, in part so we can see the nine minute trailer for Star Trek.

Well, my plans have just been changed. *looks up nearest IMAX theatre*

Myrealana
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
WANT!

DeleyanLee
12-07-2012, 07:01 PM
We're going to see the Hobbit at IMAX, in part so we can see the nine minute trailer for Star Trek. They've kept the details under wraps so well, it's worth the extra money to get a glimpse of what's in store.

FYI, it's not a 9 minute trailer. It's the first 9 minutes of the movie.

A friend of mine and I weren't going to see The Hobbit, since we're not big LOTR fans--but we're both first generation Trekkers. Now we're debating on it.

Nick Rolynd
12-07-2012, 08:00 PM
They're releasing a longer trailer (two minutes, I think) next week, so we should we able to glean a bit of the plot from that one. I wish I could go see The Hobbit in IMAX to get that lovely 9 minutes, but unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near an IMAX theater...

Teinz
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Whoohoo!

Zoombie
12-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, everyone here seems pretty excited!

If you talk to some people, the J.J Abram's movie was like taking a dump on Star Trek's corpse. To which I always said: "No, Brannon Braga already did that with Threshold. Everything after that was just a slow roll downhill."

Jess Haines
12-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Wantwantwantwantwantwantwant!!!

DeleyanLee
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM
They're releasing a longer trailer (two minutes, I think) next week, so we should we able to glean a bit of the plot from that one. I wish I could go see The Hobbit in IMAX to get that lovely 9 minutes, but unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near an IMAX theater...

Have you seen the Japanese trailer? There's footage at the end that the US didn't see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw&feature=youtu.be

heza
12-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Well, everyone here seems pretty excited!

If you talk to some people, the J.J Abram's movie was like taking a dump on Star Trek's corpse. To which I always said: "No, Brannon Braga already did that with Threshold. Everything after that was just a slow roll downhill."

I grew up on TOS, and I thought the remake was well done.

It was exciting; it was relevant; it was humorous; it was emotional; it was full of bold, over-the-top heroics--all of which captured the spirit of the original. I felt it was respectful of the story and made a sincere effort to remain faithful to the original characterizations. I appreciated that they didn't try to create completely new personalities for my old friends, but neither did they make them campy cutouts. I'm even grateful that, even though I loved the movie, they were careful to not trample over the original storyline by creating their separate timeline.

I'm very excited to see what they do with the second movie.

strawberryblondie
12-08-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm beyond excited! I had little interest in Star Trek before I saw the 2009 reboot. Now I love TOS and (some of) the original movies. But J.J.'s movie is what really got me into Trek and I can't wait to see what's next.

Nick Rolynd
12-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Have you seen the Japanese trailer? There's footage at the end that the US didn't see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, that was a sly move, replicating the Spock death scene from (I think) The Wrath of Khan to freak people out. Everyone is still confused about the antagonist, although it looks like it's Gary Mitchell, given the blonde woman (she's styled exactly the same as a major female character from the Mitchell plot). However, knowing Abrams, it might not even be a antagonist we've seen before. I hope the extended trailer/9 minutes finally gives us some more info.

DeleyanLee
12-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Whereas, from what I've read, there's some wondering if that blonde woman isn't Christine Chapel. *shrug*

MttStrn
12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I thought Karl Urban let slip that Cucumberpatch was playing Mitchell. And I definitely agree with the theory that Alice Eve is playing Elizabeth Dehner. Look at pictures of her from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," they look incredibly alike.

J.S.F.
12-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I loved the reboot and even though I didn't know anyone from the cast--that's what you get for living in Japan and not watching American TV (:)) they got the characters down pat, especially Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg. Anton Yeltsin was also excellent--in fact, oh screw it, EVERYONE was fine, even Eric Bana, whom I expected to come out with a sword in hand a la Troy.

Will def go and see the second one. Star Trek is essential to anyone's mental health and welfare, and if Abrams is helming the second one it should be just as good, if not better than, the first.

Zoombie
12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm being reminded of why I loved the remake so much.

I'm watching TNG and I just heard what has to be one of the best examples of everything that can go wrong with Star Trek: "It's been years since we've had to use one of these. It injects a beryllium pellet. We can track it's energy signature."

It's...

Just...

ARGGHG!

I know it was the 1980s and they couldn't just google it, but they had CHEMISTRY text books back then, right? They could be ASSED to FUCKING OPEN A BOOK and see that BERYLLIUM doesn't produce energy! It's not a radioactive isotope. At all!

They couldn't have just said, "It's been years since we've had to use a tracking device like this."

But nooooooooo, we have to EXPLAIN it. Even if the explanation makes no fucking sense. Even if the explanation actually DETRACTS from the GODDAMN STORY.

And...and this is the insane thing...because it gets EVEN WORSE IN VOYAGER!

Gene Roddenberry had a lot of terrible ideas. Putting Wesley Crusher on the bridge was a terrible idea. The Roddenberry Box, wherein humans were not allowed to have character flaws. Omega Glory. Letting Code of Honor be released. (Though to be fair, Gene fired the asshole who made that abomination after it was made.)

But one of his best statements was: "A cop doesn't stop to explain how his revolver works. Kirk shouldn't explain how his phaser works."

...and knowing how Gene treated the composer of the Star Trek theme song, he probably stole that saying.

Oh, so, yeah, I liked the reboot for kicking technobabble in the head.

CrastersBabies
12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I love the voice-over and can't help but flap my hands like a fangirl imagining that voice as Smaug. Well done on all accounts. :)

Cyia
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I've seen speculation that the villain is: a hybrid of Mitchel and Kahn, creating a psychic super-villain sort of set-up which would be pretty Abrams-esque, and it could be made to fit the "spirit" of a reboot.

mistri
12-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Loved the reboot movie (far more than any of the others I'd seen up until that point), and absolutely can't wait for the new one. More Pine, more Quinto, yes please! And also love Simon Pegg a little bit as he turned on my town's Christmas lights this year (he was making the new Pegg/Frost/Wright movie here, sadly it's all wrapped now).

BenPanced
12-19-2012, 06:52 AM
GAH! Too many high jumps and flailing in open air and people falling and vertigo and fear of heights triggered at least three times and things! Pass!

DeleyanLee
12-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Just got back from an IMAX showing of The Hobbit and saw the first 9 minutes of ST: Into Darkness.

Yes, you see Ben Cumberbatch in the first few minutes of the show. No, there is no information at all about who he is.

That said, the situation of the opening scene is a couple going to the Royal Children's Hospital in London, getting the news their daughter is dying and the emotional scene of them at her bedside. Then Dad goes out onto a balcony and Ben says, "I can save your daughter." in a voice that had more than one person around me thinking it was Patrick Stewart.

Which got me and mine wondering if he's not part of the Q Continuum. Especially since at the end of the first 9 minutes, Spock's facing certain death and the Enterprise is not in a place to rescue him. A Q-like rescue (with resulting debts-owed) would fit nicely there.

Anyone else seen this bit?

childeroland
12-30-2012, 02:33 AM
I'm not sure a Q would bother with all the physical stuff Harrison appears to do in the trailer. Unless he's lost a good bit of his power. My guess is it's probably a new character or just Khan. (I like Abrams's work, but do most of his surprises really turn out to be that surprising?)

Mr Flibble
12-31-2012, 03:24 AM
My guess is alternate-universe-genetically-enhanced guy joins star fleet then has an episode and then KHANNNNNN!