Robbed a bank and then bragged about it on youtube

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Here’s a tip: If you steal a car and then rob a bank at gunpoint, don’t brag about it on YouTube.
Unfortunately, this bit of seemingly obvious advice came too late for 19-year old Hannah Sabata, who was arrested on Nov. 28th.

Sabata, of Stromberg, Neb., faces charges in connection with the robbery of a Cornerstone Bank branch in Waco, Neb., on Nov. 27th, according to CBS news affiliate KOLN. What tipped off the police to the suspect? The text she sent to her ex and the YouTube video she posted, which featured her bragging about the crimes she’d committed and flashing a large wad of cash.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/05/women-brags-about-robbery-on-youtube/#ixzz2EGRBlu8K

Definitely a good thing when criminals act this stupid. Makes the whole process of catching them that much easier.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
My brother and I have sort of a running joke about criminals recording and posting their own crimes. More and more, cops know who done it because the perp tells them via Facebook and YouTube.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch the youtube video? She gave her reason for stealing the car and robbing the bank in the video.

At 6:41 the writing on the screen says, "the government stole my baby."
At 6:48 it says, "and they took him away before I could even take him home."
At 6:55 it says, "and they charged me with neglect."
At 7:10 it says, "I may not be a mother anymore. But I can still find purpose."

Then she holds up the wad of cash she got from the robbery.

I wonder if postpartum depression is playing a role here along with her drug abuse.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call that stupid. Or even drug-induced. (weed?) Seems more likely to me to be some sort of mental illness or breakdown. :(

We have a local radio station here that does a weekly segment on dumb criminals... like the guy who gave a cop a fake name that turned out to be the name of one of the FBI's most wanted. Stuff like that is more funny than sad.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch the youtube video? She gave her reason for stealing the car and robbing the bank in the video.

I wonder if postpartum depression is playing a role here along with her drug abuse.

There must have been something going on before PPD, because she wasn't even allowed to bring her baby home. That's rarely indicative of good behavior. Who knows though. I'm sure some more details will emerge.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Maybe the need to be noticed, to make a splash, just trumps everything else for some people. They'll get their fifteen minutes, sooner rather than later and no matter what it takes.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the need to be noticed, to make a splash, just trumps everything else for some people. They'll get their fifteen minutes, sooner rather than later and no matter what it takes.
Indeed. But one could ask the question, if one were so inclined: what is it that drives a person to feel the need to be noticed, the need to communicate to the "world" via youtube, to make their "statement", even if the outcome of such expression will result in negative consequences?

In the OP case, I'm not sure if she realized what she was doing or not. But in any case.... I feel for her. Also she is so, so young (Says the old lady. :D), not to mention bereft of a baby she carried for 9 months and may have actually wanted, regardless of her deemed fitness, or lack thereof, to be a mother.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score

I watched it. That's not depression. That's narcissism. Every time she shows off her drug paraphernalia and drug-related behavior, she smiles big...demonstrably gleeful. She's bragging about what she did and what she feels she can get away with. She seems to be amused by her irresponsible behavior.

Good thing they took her kid away.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More evidence humans are not the apex of evolution.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. That's not depression. That's narcissism. Every time she shows off her drug paraphernalia and drug-related behavior, she smiles big...demonstrably gleeful. She's bragging about what she did and what she feels she can get away with. She seems to be amused by her irresponsible behavior.

Good thing they took her kid away.
This. I don't think she's mentally ill. I think she's just a punk.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/helmet-front-mount

It's only a matter of time, IMO, before some little twerp uses one to film a crime from a first-person-shooter POV, then uploads it to their own personal YouTube account.

And if they're going to commit the crime anyway, more power to them. Makes the arrests so much easier.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time, IMO, before some little twerp uses one to film a crime from a first-person-shooter POV

Ssssshhhh. Vifidefeofogafamefes mafakefe chifildrefen efevifil.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. If they did, we would have seen a rash of such vids right after the release of... NameYourFavoriteOldSchoolShooterGameHere.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Evolution doesn't have an apex. Only humans would be goofy enough to come up with the idea that it does. Which kind of proves your point.

I'm reminded of what a palaeontologist once said about humanity, "Perhaps it would be better if humans regarded themselves as a rather clever ape with a vicious streak.