Lurid Sensationalism or Just the News? (Warning: Image May Offend)

Take the Photo or Save A Life: Choose.

• Take the Photo. Do Your Job.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Forget the Photo. Be A Human Being and Try to Help.

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • In the same position I don't know how I would react.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Society of Professional Journalists created a Code of Ethics as a recommended standard of good practices. These are only recommendations. They are not rules.

Within the principle to Minimize Harm, the code states:
Ethical journalists treat sources, subjects and colleagues as human beings deserving of respect.

Journalists should:

— Show compassion for those who may be affected adversely by news coverage. Use special sensitivity when dealing with children and inexperienced sources or subjects.
— Be sensitive when seeking or using interviews or photographs of those affected by tragedy or grief.
— Recognize that gathering and reporting information may cause harm or discomfort. Pursuit of the news is not a license for arrogance.
— Show good taste. Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity.

With that in mind does this photograph from the New York Post maintain or violate the standards of the SPJ's Code of Ethics?

NY_Post_Doomed.png

Here is the story behind the controversial photograph.

Queens man Ki Suk Han, 58, died after he was pushed on the tracks by an unnamed attacker moments before an oncoming train arrived at the 49th Street N, R, Q subway platform in Manhattan on Monday afternoon, according to police. On Tuesday afternoon, police confirmed they had someone in custody in connection with the attack. The photographer who shot the chilling image, New York Post freelancer R. Umar Abbasi, has sparked outrage on social media from those wondering why he did not do something to help pull Han off the track instead of taking pictures.

Abbasi told the New York Post that he started running toward Han and hitting the flash on his camera while shooting photos, hoping to catch the attention of the train’s driver.

“The most painful part was I could see him getting closer to the edge. He was getting so close,’’ Abbasi told The Post. “And people were running toward him and the train. I didn’t think about [the attacker] until after. In that moment, I just wanted to warn the train – to try and save a life.”

“Getting a conductor's attention with a flash — and maybe even blinding him with it — doesn't seem like the way you'd necessarily help someone that's clinging to the subway platform,’’ wrote The Atlantic’s Alexander Abad-Santos.

On one level, these sort of incidents stir passionate discussions in newsrooms (yes, they still exist) and journalism classes. On another the actions of the photographer fit quite nicely into a society where everyone has a camera and any tragedy is only a few clicks away from being uploaded to You Tube or featured on TMZ or World Star Hip-Hop.

I was a newspaper editor. I wouldn't have run this photo.

Would you?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Lurid sensationalism. NY Post. What more need be said?

Whether the photographer could actually have helped in this situation is almost immaterial (probably not, is my take). But the choice to run the photo by the newspaper was as calculated and deliberate as it could possibly be. The overlain verbiage is ample proof of that.

caw

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Shocking photographs exist. I think they should even be seen and understood.

BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE, don't make it look like the cover of a 1960s Batman comic! Jesus Christ...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The New York Post. Proprietor: Rupert Murdoch.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Shock and awe to sell newspapers. No better than the tabloids, IMHO. In fact, much worse.

No, I wouldn't have run it. I've seen worse photos, though, photos even a snuff photographer would vomit at. Are they newsworthy? No, but today, shock value is where it's at. Has been for a long time.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The photographer comments:

Mr. Abbasi said he was wearing a 20-odd pound backpack of camera gear for an assignment, and was standing near the 47th Street entrance to the platform when he saw the man fall on the tracks.

“Nobody helped,” he said. “People started running away.”

“I saw the lights in the distance,” signaling a subway’s approach, he said, so he started firing off flashes on the camera — 49 times in all, he said — as a means of warning the driver.

“I was not aiming to take a photograph of the man on the track,” he said, later adding that his arm was fully outstretched, the camera far from his face.

“If I had reached him in time, I would have pulled him up,” he said. At one point, the man said to have shoved Mr. Han came toward Mr. Abbasi, he said, so he backed up against a wall, still flashing his camera. He estimated the victim was on the tracks for 10 or 15 seconds before he was struck.

“The driver said he slowed down because he saw my flashes,” he said.

Mr. Abbasi said he brought police officers to The Post’s offices, where they examined the pictures for any images of the perpetrator, and he left the camera’s memory card with editors at The Post. He was not part of the decision to publish the pictures, he said.

“Every time I close my eyes, I see the image of death,” he said. “I don’t care about a photograph.”
Other journalists comment on the photograph and the N.Y. Post's decision to run with the one they did.

Poynter senior faculty Kenny Irby said by email Tuesday, “My problem is with the publication’s editors, who clearly had alternative photographs to use and chose to use the most disturbing.”
Other perspectives:

• Bryan Goldberg, Pando Daily: “Every single journalist should be appalled by what the New York Post did, and they have a responsibility to speak out against it.”
  • Stan Alost, Ohio University photojournalism professor: “The decision to photograph or help is always controversial. Journalists are trained to observe and to not inject themselves into situations. The idea is that the power of the reporting/image can help society, if not the individual.”
  • John Long, NPPA: “Your job as a human being, so to speak, outweighs your job as a photojournalist”
  • Holly Hughes, editor of Photo District News: “News photographers in situations where something horrible has happened are often viewed as vultures who exploit other people’s suffering, and I think that’s an unfair rap.”
  • Unnamed veteran tabloid photographer, Capital NY: “He’s just one person who had to make a snap decision under pressure. Far more deserving of fault I think are the tabloid vultures in the newsroom that negotiated, paid for, and published this photo; a photo that adds nothing to the conversation or the story except shock value. If that were my father or brother on the front page today I’d be livid.”
  • Stephen Mayes, managing director of the photo agency VII: “The event happened in public, people saw it. Now it’s just been seen by more people … It is shocking. It doesn’t make me feel great to look at it. But it didn’t make me feel great when I heard about the incident either. To me, withholding that picture would have been a form of censorship.”
  • J. Bryan Lowder, Slate: The photo “forces us into an almost unbearable exchange of gazes—between the doomed man, the helpless train driver, the onlookers further up the platform, and finally, the photographer, with whom we are implicated in choosing to look. Of course, we demand images like this with our news, yet we also clearly feel a great deal of guilt in consuming them. … In looking at an image like this, we can’t help but identify with the victim (or perhaps even with the train conductor); we are forced to imagine the horror of being in either of their positions because in a certain sense, the feared event hasn’t happened yet, to them or to us. For New York subway riders in particular, this image manifests a collective nightmare, the reality that something like this could easily happen to any one of us on our morning commutes. But no one likes a nightmare, and so we resent being forced to experience it.”

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Funny you would bring this up. I read this story yesterday, and actually thought "Wow, I can't believe they printed that picture."

100% sensationalism, IMO. Publishing this photo shows a lack of respect for the privacy and dignity of the man and his family.

He was murdered, died a horrible death, and continues to be victimized, as his suffering is now being used to sell tabloids. I'm horrified that no one helped him. It looks like he could have been pulled up so easily. And I'm upset that his friends and family have to see this image, and will now think of it every time they think of him.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that Pulitzer winning photo of the tiny emaciated African girl curled up in a ball in a field, with a vulture watching her? The dude who took the photo walked away after taking it. He failed to help a weak starving child unable to ambulate reach safety. After winning and being questioned countless times about the photo, he killed himself. I feel that kinda settled the validity of the bullshit notion of photographer as completely uninvolved chronicler. Everyone involved in this newspaper cover are human beings, but most of them forgot that fact.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that Pulitzer winning photo of the tiny emaciated African girl curled up in a ball in a field, with a vulture watching her? The dude who took the photo walked away after taking it. He failed to help a weak starving child unable to ambulate reach safety. After winning and being questioned countless times about the photo, he killed himself. I feel that kinda settled the validity of the bullshit notion of photographer as completely uninvolved chronicler. Everyone involved in this newspaper cover are human beings, but most of them forgot that fact.

I saw that photo and read the history of it about two years ago. No exaggeration, it has absolutely haunted me. It pops into my head on a regular basis, and makes me feel sick for that child.

Everyone, photographers included, has a responsibility for the safety of their fellow human beings. That is a duty that comes before all other things.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

The photographer (Kevin Carter) committed suicide about 4 months afterwards - he certainly paid a heavy price for his actions around the photo. For that matter, he was not a well man either before or after the day he took it.

I read a bio (which was actually made into a documentary) about a group of photographers who worked closely with him. There's some debate, but they claimed the girl's parents were not that far away, and that she actually made it to the relief center, but it's unknown what happened to her after that. (I have also heard claims to the contrary, so it's possible this is not true).

The effect on the world of that photo was huge, however - donations skyrocketed. Is there value in that? I do think a case could certainly be made, but yeah, it's really difficult, if not impossible, to see how anyone could sit there and take that girl's photo and not do something.

The Post case is more clearly sensationalism to me. The photographer's 'explanation' is bullshit. Flashing the driver to signal? Please. The only benefit of the doubt I'm willing to give the guy is that he maybe thought he was about to capture a miraculous escape and it didn't happen.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
The photographer's 'explanation' is bullshit. Flashing the driver to signal? Please.

I doubt flashing the driver multiple times would have done anything other than possibly blind the driver.

Unfortunately I think the driver's attention was elsewhere - as in on the poor man on the tracks.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I wouldn't have run the picture on the cover. Especially with that title. I have no words for the photographer, though. I think the image should've been published separately, and smaller, with notes from the train driver, onlookers, and the photographer about how they felt, sitting there, unable to do nothing, and what the man's last thoughts might've been. Not as a -- look here and pick up this magazine! article, but a quieter, more tasteful piece.

I saw that photo and read the history of it about two years ago. No exaggeration, it has absolutely haunted me. It pops into my head on a regular basis, and makes me feel sick for that child.

Everyone, photographers included, has a responsibility for the safety of their fellow human beings. That is a duty that comes before all other things.
Two minutes of research:
The haunting image made Carter a global celebrity, but it also raised uncomfortable questions about whether he should have helped the girl rather than simply watching her die. To be sure, Carter had plenty of emotional and financial problems, and he drank and used drugs excessively. But’s it’s not hard to imagine that his world-famous photo left him wracked with guilt, contributing to his suicidal state of mind. In his rambling final note, he wrote, “I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain … of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners.”
I wanted to let you know that there is some conflicting information out about the fate of the small Sudanese girl in the photograph. Featured in the documentary “Under Fire” Paul Watson claims that this girl was eventually given medical attention and prevented from an untimely demise. In fact if you look at the photo in its original frame you can see humanitarian workers in the background.
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/...dying-of-hunger-as-a-vulture-patiently-waits/
Again according to Silva, Carter was quite shocked as it was the first time that he had seen a famine situation and so he took many shots of the children suffering from famine. Silva also started to take photos of children on the ground as if crying, which were not published. The parents of the children were busy taking food from the plane, so they had left their children only briefly while they collected the food. This was the situation for the girl in the photo taken by Carter. A vulture landed behind the girl. To get the two in focus, Carter approached the scene very slowly so as not to scare the vulture away and took a photo from approximately 10 metres. He took a few more photos before chasing the bird away.

Two Spanish photographers who were in the same area at that time, José María Luis Arenzana and Luis Davilla, without knowing the photograph of Kevin Carter, took a picture in a similar situation. As recounted on several occasions, it was a feeding center, and the vultures came from a manure pit waste.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

When I lived in Egypt, I saw many malnourished and homeless children. As tourists, we were told to nothing, by the Egyptian police and other Egyptian citizens, unless we had enough to feed all of them.

I feel nothing but sorry for that man (and, of course the girl) who grew up in that country, unable to do nothing, and letting that pain end his life. These situations aren't black and white.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't have run it.

The fact that the photo was taken, despite his flimsy reasoning, doesn't bother me near as much as that it was printed on the FRONT PAGE of the paper.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score

Well, that was unecessarily condescending. Did you mean to imply that neither Kitty or myself had ever bothered to research that story? I believe, in the post you quoted, I specifically said I saw the photo and read the history.

Now, mind you, my sources may not be as great as someone's wordpress blog, but the New York Times ran an editorial after the photo was printed saying they and Kevin Carter didn't know the fate of the girl.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Well, that was unecessarily condescending. Did you mean to imply that neither Kitty or myself had ever bothered to research that story? I believe, in the post you quoted, I specifically said I saw the photo and read the history.

Now, mind you, my sources may not be as great as someone's wordpress blog, but the New York Times ran an editorial after the photo was printed saying they and Kevin Carter didn't know the fate of the girl.

No. Simply that there was more to the story than "photographer leaves starving girl to die."

In that situation, it would be nice to believe that he could have done something to make a lasting impression on her life, but short of adopting her, there was nothing he could have done that would've improved her situation.

That is what tourists are told when they go to areas of extreme poverty. That even if you feed the children today, they will be hungry tomorrow, and you will only breed animosity between those who were fed and those who weren't.

The situation with Carter was more difficult and complicated than this one.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I wouldn't have run it.

The fact that the photo was taken, despite his flimsy reasoning, doesn't bother me near as much as that it was printed on the FRONT PAGE of the paper.
Agreed. I can't say what the photographer was or wasn't thinking - if his "attempt to signal the driver" was in his mind at the time or a justification he told himself later.

Either way, the picture shouldn't have covered the whole front page.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The photographer (Kevin Carter) committed suicide about 4 months afterwards - he certainly paid a heavy price for his actions around the photo. For that matter, he was not a well man either before or after the day he took it.

I read a bio (which was actually made into a documentary) about a group of photographers who worked closely with him. There's some debate, but they claimed the girl's parents were not that far away, and that she actually made it to the relief center, but it's unknown what happened to her after that. (I have also heard claims to the contrary, so it's possible this is not true).

The effect on the world of that photo was huge, however - donations skyrocketed. Is there value in that? I do think a case could certainly be made, but yeah, it's really difficult, if not impossible, to see how anyone could sit there and take that girl's photo and not do something.

The Post case is more clearly sensationalism to me. The photographer's 'explanation' is bullshit. Flashing the driver to signal? Please. The only benefit of the doubt I'm willing to give the guy is that he maybe thought he was about to capture a miraculous escape and it didn't happen.

When blogging about this story, I also thought of Kevin Carter's 1994 Pulitzer Prize winning photograph:

kevin_carter.jpg

It is certainly one of the most stark and disturbing photographs I've ever seen. Carter should have been at his peak as a photojournalist after winning the Pulitzer, but as has been said, it contributed to his downward spiral and eventual suicide.

The role of a journalist is supposed to be to report the story and not become the story. However, as human beings we are supposed to be part of a social contract. You can't simply walk away or turn your back when people are in danger. You have to do for them what you would want them to do for you.

Which doesn't include whipping out your cell phone and start clicking madly away. Getting the best shot shouldn't be the highest priority here.

Oh, and whom ever at the Post green-lit that picture is a fucking ghoul. That's all.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's disgusting to run it like that, imho.

I think about what happened, and I wonder how folks could have saved him. I think they should have tried, absolutely, but it gets complicated. What if he pulls you in instead? There's a weight thing to keep in mind. He was very drunk, reportedly (by his own wife). I really would be very afraid to try to save him :( That's horrible, but not as horrible as just not caring.

In the end I decided that I'd offer him my shirt to pull on. Then, if he panics and tries to pull too hard, I could let go. The horror! But if I could think that quickly, that's what I'd do.

And not run the pics. My God. The photographer said that folks flocked around the woman trying to save his life and crowded her trying to get pictures at that point! I wish the photographer had gotten all of their pictures and published that horror instead.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't know what the photographers was trying to do, it may well be exactly what he said. Or he has a 'take pictures' reflex, which I would understand too.

I do know that in the one genuine emergency I was ever part of I completely froze, for at least 10 seconds--which is about how long anyone had to save him.

You never know what you are really going to do in an emergency unless you are in the kind of job or location where they happen a lot.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the photographers was trying to do, it may well be exactly what he said. Or he has a 'take pictures' reflex, which I would understand too.

I do know that in the one genuine emergency I was ever part of I completely froze, for at least 10 seconds--which is about how long anyone had to save him.

You never know what you are really going to do in an emergency unless you are in the kind of job or location where they happen a lot.

Yes, most of us are action heroes in our fantasies and frozen by fear and indecision when the deal actually goes down.

Still, I'm beginning to get a vibe from R. Umar Abbasi that he's the real victim here, not Ki Suk Han.

In a stunningly self-aggrandizing Wednesday editorial by the “anguished fotog” who says “critics are unfair to condemn me,” Abbasi insists he was using his camera not to document the fate of Ki Suk Han but to heroically attempt to save him. “I just kept shooting and flashing,” he writes, “hoping the train driver would see something and be able to stop.” Not sure how pointing a flashing camera at a speeding train signals the conductor in a more efficient way than yelling or waving your arms, but OK. He goes on to explain that he was “too far away to reach him,” and that after the fatal blow, “a crowd came over with camera phones and they were pushing and shoving, trying to look at the man and taking videos. I was screaming at them to get back, so the doctor could have room because they were closing in on her; she thanked me.”

It’s not that a photographer has any more obligation to intervene in a dramatic situation than anyone else. Abbasi’s first duty, like anyone’s, is to himself and his own safety. It doesn’t matter that he says, “The truth is I could not reach that man; if I could have, I would have.” What’s repulsive is that he then chose to not just sell that photograph, but then brashly write a story in which he’s the guy using his camera to try to stop a train, in which he’s telling other people taking pictures to use restraint, and getting thanked for it. How can Abbasi even walk around, with cojones that big?

And though plenty of images of the “DOOMED” carry with them an inherently controversial aspect – raising questions about voyeurism and intervention – there’s zero comparison between the Post’s shamelessly tasteless stunt and the iconic image of a nameless man falling from the twin towers on 9/11, or Boris Yaro’s haunting photo of a mortally wounded Robert Kennedy. They were pictures that told a bigger story about a major news event. They had something to say about life. What does R. Umar Abbasi have to say, aside from how great he is? What does the Post have to say, aside from the fact that an apparently disturbed man pushed a commuter toward his death on Monday afternoon? Journalism without humanity is just exploitation. And the New York Post without a soul is just the New York Post.
I wouldn't judge Abbasi as some sort of villain, but he damn sure isn't any kind of half-assed hero.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
The excuse that the photographer was trying to flash the driver rings horribly false to me, and that's what bothers me about this situation. There wasn't much time to save the man. If the photographer said he'd froze up, panicked, or taken photos on reflex.... any of these reasons, I could accept. In his position I'm not sure I would have been able to do anything other than freeze up.

But to try and cover his actions with this flimsy excuse makes my blood boil. And then the paper decides to publish it for all to see. :(