Request but wrong title

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get an opinion or two about this: I got a full request from an agent's assistant today, and it was addressed to the correct name, but mentioned a different title than my book. I guess I should just go ahead and send the manuscript because why give her a reason to say no? On the other hand, I kind of want to clarify that she really meant to request my book and not this other person's. What do you think?

Thanks!

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, congrats, regardless of the title issue!

If it were me, I would send the MS and not draw attention to the fact that they had mentioned a different title. It could have been for many reasons - for example, perhaps the agent's assistant has a template they use for requesting fulls, and forgot to update the book title as well as your name.

It seems unlikely to me that they would have sent a request to the wrong person entirely, so I say go ahead and send, and the best of luck with it! :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Do the usual. Reply to the email, send your book with the correct title as "requested material." If there's a mistake, then the book won't go any further with the agent. If not, then no harm, no foul.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree, I wouldn't send it unless it was clarified. I wouldn't assume they want your book, send it and wait and wait for god only knows how long and wonder the whole time, was it my book they really wanted? What if they never respond and months go by under that assumption? You might be wasting your time if you send it and wait and expect a read through. I would email them back and ask first.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
I'd send in your MS, as has been suggested, but I'd mention the disparity, just in case. But that's because I just imagine another writer somewhere who's desperate for a request and won't get it if you don't point out they didn't send it. I'm sure they meant to send it to you (as e-mails and names are harder to mix up than titles, I imagine) but still... just to be sure.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send in your MS, as has been suggested, but I'd mention the disparity, just in case. But that's because I just imagine another writer somewhere who's desperate for a request and won't get it if you don't point out they didn't send it. I'm sure they meant to send it to you (as e-mails and names are harder to mix up than titles, I imagine) but still... just to be sure.

I agree.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Can you see if the email (assuming it was email) was in reply to yours? That might help you figure out if it was a copy/paste fail or not.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Thanks for your input, everyone. Luckily this morning I woke up to an e-mail from the intern apologizing for putting in the wrong title in the request. Whew.

But I think sending my manuscript with a note mentioning the issue might've been the right thing to do - just in case the request was intended for another writer. Her email wasn't in reply to mine, so it seemed she could've just as easily entered in the wrong name.

Thanks again, though!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Wow! That's a cool intern to have caught the mistake! Congrats on your request. Good luck with it!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's great, but always ask for clarification. All too often they are asking for a different book, and when this happens it gets really embarrassing.

It's just never a good idea to do anything without asking. Agents seldom bite, and the professional approach is always the correct approach.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Best of luck!

And blessings on the intern for catching and correcting the mistake.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wow what a nightmare situation. lol So glad it worked out for you without your having to make a hard decision.