Status
Not open for further replies.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
In another thread we were discussing whether or not it is necessary to read in the same genre as you write. As I do not read primarily in the genre I write (read mysteries and thrillers but write historicals) I started thinking about why that might be. My conclusion had more to do with the milieu or backdrop for the characters in a story. Humanity hasn't changed much over time. We've always loved and hated, schemed and feared etc. The only difference is where and when it happens.

For example, thieves in this day and age go to jail if they get caught, spend a few months or years imprisoned and then are released, likely to do it all over again. In less enlightened societies and in previous centuries a hand may be cut off or, depending on what was stolen, they may receive the death penalty. In the future they might be subjected to some kind of gene or chemical therapy that will alter their thinking so they aren't inclined to steal any more.

Although I enjoy reading someone else's take on how that plays out in the present day or in the future - how the thief thinks, feels and reacts to their sentence - I have a passion for the past and want to turn my creative mind to exploring that same character as they would think, feel and react to the sentence of a long past age. I like creating their world and imagining what it must have been like for them. I don't often have the same interest in learning how someone else has imagined the past but I am interested in how other writers deal with the present and future. It's kind of akin to my enjoyment of art. I love paintings, admire artists greatly, but I have no interest in trying my hand at it.

I think I'm in the minority so I'd be interested to learn why others are drawn to write in the genre they love to read.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority so I'd be interested to learn why others are drawn to write in the genre they love to read.

I think it just follows naturally--the things we gravitate to in reading are likely to show in our own telling as well. King had an interesting page or so on his growing up with pulp comics and penny dreadfuls, and how most of his themes are really things like retribution, small-town life, etc., but they get filtered through his slant to all things horror.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I choose to write what I love to read? Those are the stories and the ideas and the authors that speak to me. Why wouldn't I want to emulate those authors, to engage with those ideas, and to write those kinds of stories for readers who I understand because I'm one of them too?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The answer to both is "because I like it." Simple as that. I like horror. So I read horror stories. And write it for the same reason. I like fantasy. So I read it, and also write it. That's as far as it goes. I have interests, and indulge them when others create works that reflect those same interests, and create works reflecting it myself.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Why wouldn't I want to emulate those authors, to engage with those ideas, and to write those kinds of stories for readers who I understand because I'm one of them too?

See, that's where I differ. I'm not looking to emulate anyone, other than if I think they are a wonderful storyteller and that has nothing to do with genre.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I write hardcore erotica so I read widely outside my genre. Whatever works for you.

Ah, so why is that do you think? Given what other authors have said, although they read outside their genre they prefer to read in the genre they write. You don't?

Last edited:

OhTheHorror

jlw
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Rhoda. I write and read (mostly) hardcore and bizarro horror, because I like it. I do read other genres, but the bulk is horror.

I guess, I just love a good slaughter. :D

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I write paranormal erotic romance and do read a fair amount in that genre, but I also read thrillers/mystery, YA, Christian fiction, lit fiction, etc. I'm all over the map when it comes to reading, but not when it comes to writing. I might eventually write in another genre, but as long as my books sell well I plan to stick with what's working.

Tedium

Le sigh.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like others said, it's something that just happens naturally.

That being said, I think it's really easy to get bogged down by reading a lot of similar material. Not that every horror or romance or fantasy story is going to be the same. There can be infinite variation in execution, but I think that sometimes it can really help to refresh our creativity to read outside of our chosen genres.

Sometimes, when everything starts to sound the same, you need to experience a new perspective and hear a new voice.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I think there's a difference in reading what you enjoy and reading for what you create. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are different. They both have their uses in a writers life.

I really think what should be important is that a writer is widely read.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I read and write fantasy because it's my favorite genre. Even if I did try writing say a historical, sooner or later a dragon would pop its head up or something and then, well there goes the neighborhood, as they say.

I do think it's important to note that saying I'm reading a fantasy doesn't necessarily mean I'm reading what I'm writing. Of the last few fantasy books I've read, one was a fantasy crime novel (I can't call it a mystery because the reader knows from the beginning who the villain is), one was an urban fantasy and the third a dark fantasy that starts with murder and goes downhill from there, as the main character is an utter bastard. Three wildly different books, but all fantasy, and none of them are what I'm currently writing, which would be essentially a fantasy thriller.

That's why I think it's just as important to read widely in one's own genre as it is to read widely as a whole. Fantasy is one of the larger genres true, but the same applies to many other genres, if only from the crossover factor. Besides, I would get bored (and old) if all I read was say, epic fantasy.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
[EDIT]:
DragonHeart: That's why I think it's just as important to read widely in one's own genre as it is to read widely as a whole.
Me, too. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what genre I write. Kind of Lee Child/Dennis Lehane-Suspense-esque, with an element of edgy odd-botkins, a la Chuck P. . .

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I read whatever is close to hand. Anything and everything from science fiction through historical, romances, exploitation tomes, comics, non-fic of all stripes, catalogs, timetables... If it has words, I'll read it. Of course, mostly I go looking for things, but I happen across as much as I go looking for, so I have plenty to keep myself occupied. I can't imagine sticking within one solitary genre, as I would soon get fed up.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I read across lots of genres: historical, biography, science, philosophy, travel, literary fiction, graphic novels, erotic romance, science-fiction & fantasy, and horror. But then, I read Wikipedia for fun. I'm a better writer, the more I read outside my main writing genres of s&f and erotic romance.

My only reading criteria is excellence: if a sample text or a review catches my interest, I'm willing to invest time and money reading the book. In sf&f and erotic romance, I am actually pickier than in other genres. I want to be entertained, but I'm also learning - and that means learning from the best.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
In my opinion, what genre you read and what genre you write are largely out of your control.

I write mostly science fiction, fantasy, and horror. I read mostly history and true-crime.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I read pretty much every genre there is, and more non fantasy than fantasy. But when I write there is (almost - I have to concentrate to avoid it!) always a fantasy element in there. Lawks knows why.

I mean, I'd love to be able to write a contemp murder mystery but a) I'd probably be crap at it and b) I'd keep wanting to add in magical explosions...

You and me can be in the minority together :D But I think reading lots of genres is good for you/me as writers because you aren't just regurgitating influences from that one genre (if all I ever read was fantasy, I'd only be aware of the tropes and such of fantasy). I love adding in mystery tropes for instance, even if I am writing fantasy.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I read pretty much every genre. I write in my favorite genres because I prefer selling what I write, and damned few can write well in a genre they don't read. When they do, it shows.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
To me, saying I write in genres I like to read is not the same as saying I believe I should restrict my reading to those genres I write. I write mostly in the spec fic genres (science fiction, horror, and fantasy) and I read a lot of spec fic. I also read romance and literary fiction, suspense/mystery, historical fiction, and other genres when they appeal to me. I can't imagine only reading one genre, but nor can I imagine trying to write in a genre I didn't first enjoy as a reader.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I read mostly fantasy and science fiction. That's also what I write. I probably should broaden my reading horizons a little bit. But just getting through a couple of genres is a lot of work. There are so many books I want to read and so little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.