PDA

View Full Version : Curious: How Many WIPs Do You Have?

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Okay, so I just did a tally of all the books I've either started or have solid plans for, and I'm bewildered by how long it's going to take me to get through all of them.

So how many do y'all have started/finished/planned?

Here's my list:

6 novel (maybe 7) comedic UF series (currently working on them).
3 novel UF series (1 draft written of 1st book).
1 epic fantasy (planning stages).
1 movie script (2/3 of 1st draft done).
1 erotica novella (needs complete rewrite).
1 paranormal romance (1/3 of 1st draft done).
1 SF thriller (needs complete rewrite, may add a sequel).
1 very fat epic SF novel (lost my notes, haven't written a word).
1 collection of short stories and perhaps some poems (some pieces written already).
1 NF philosophy book (planning stages).

Crazy, right? That makes between 17 and 19 WIPs planned or started, depending on possible sequels!

I have no idea when I'll be able to get all these done... But I decided to count them today, and the number astounded me.

So... How much is on your plate? (Note: These will probably take me at least 10 years to get through, if I'm lucky, and I'm certain I'll have more ideas in the mean time.)

LJD
12-04-2012, 04:20 AM
I don't work on multiple things at once, but switch off each time I finish a draft. I've got 3 in progress right now:

1 women's fiction novel in draft #5 (final round of editing, I think)
2 contemporary romance novellas (completed 3rd draft for one, 1st draft for the other)

Planned (sort of):
2 women's fiction novels
1 contemporary romance novel

Jehhillenberg
12-04-2012, 04:23 AM
TONS.

I'm that awful type that starts many works when the idea hits. I wanna get to the end without going through the process. I'm focusing on 3, well 2, right now.

*fingers crossed I finish the drafts*

DeleyanLee
12-04-2012, 04:26 AM
I only write a single book at a time. Presently it's an epic Fantasy and is roughly 87K at the moment.

I have a 5 book UF series in mind. I know the series main storyline and a few of the book/stand alone story lines. I have all the main characters firmly in mind.

I have two Historical Fantasies, different eras. One has to be rewritten, the other needs to be written entirely, but I think I've got most of it together in my head.

Most likely, I'll do the rewriting on the one Historical Fantasy first, then tackle the first UF book, then the other HF.

Maybe. We'll see when I'm done with this one.

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I'm like that too, jeh. I get partway through something, then a new idea comes along, and I start that. I blame NaNo! For a few years in a row, I had some things nearly finished, then started something new when NaNo came around.

Right now I'm focussing on 3 WIPs too. The first 3 of the comedic UF series.

I think my mind would implode if I tried to do all of my planned ideas at the same time! Like I said, about 10 years to finish all of these is my guess.

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Del, I'm with you on writing one at a time... It's just that I tend to switch to something else for some reason and it takes a long time to go back to try to finish something else off.

Your workload seems a lot more sensible than mine, though. :) Enough to keep your brain ticking over, but not so much to completely overwhelm. :)

fireluxlou
12-04-2012, 04:30 AM

Others I've shelved, stories not strong enough to take anywhere. This WIP is going slower due to my lack of want to work on it after work really. So I'm just brainstorming at the moment. I'm all about planning I like to create a kind of series bible so I have a solid foundation for the characters before I write it. I do this with all my stories.

A bit like this: http://www.yahighway.com/2012/05/how-to-make-series-bible-guest-post-by.html

lastlittlebird
12-04-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm like you, Cliff Face. Lots of WIPs.
I couldn't give you a number because it depends on what you mean by WIP though. I have at least a couple of dozen stories that have been drifting around in the back of my head for months or years (occasionally one of them becomes urgent for whatever reason and I set it down).
Usually half the work that needs doing is purely in my head, figuring things out, so I count them as WIPs but others might not since not all of them are in pixels/ink at all yet.
It works for me. The first story I was ever paid for was one I'd been kicking around for years before I wrote it down and the second one was one I wrote specifically for the competition. As long as I keep finishing things on a semi-regular basis (and competition/anthology deadlines help with that) I don't feel bad about it.

GinnieHazel
12-04-2012, 05:27 AM
I have three on the go if you include planned.

I have a couple of scenes in my first book project put together that I stopped working on because I got caught up editing a scene at a time and then had a depressive faze.

I also have my NaNoWriMo project. It's a fanfiction and I discovered I'm not good at just writing loads. I need time to think about the story before I write the next bit. Luckily I can just give myself sometime doing something else and sleep on it.

My final project is a plan I have for a possible story that actually sounds quite good but I want to get something else finished first.

Add to that a smattering of short stories.

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 05:39 AM
lastlittle, I'd count ones that are just swimming around in your head, if they've reached a point where you know you will write them. One day. Eventually. If you have time. ;) A number of the ones on my list are like that - I will write them eventually.

Ginnie, yeah, 3 on the go seems to be a common number in this thread.

My 3... The first one just needs edits. The second one I'm trying to finish the first draft. Once those 2 bits are done, I'll edit #2 and write #3. Though currently I have some ideas for #3 swirling around in my head, and some of an outline (but it'll need to be expanded, I think).

Past that... I'm making minor notes on the epic fantasy, just because I'm obsessing over it (because I've been watching the Lord Of The Rings movies again this past week :tongue).

Nothing else is on my immediate radar right now.

Cornelius Gault
12-04-2012, 07:22 AM
My one and only - The Gault Legacy.

Billtrumpet25
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I have in different stages of development:

4 fantasy (all of which are in a series, two of which are down on paper).
1 realistic fiction w/ political stuff :tongue (outline)
1 narrative nonfiction about bipolar disorder (rough draft)

AND...

(singing) A partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (hits obscenely high note). :D

:PartySmil

Night.

Kerosene
12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
*Look down*

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Nice work, the three of you. :)

I'm slowly slogging my way through WIPs 1 and 2 today. There just aren't enough hours in the day! (Or days in the year!)

VP_Benni
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Seven. Eight if you include my unfinished NaNo from last month that's more of an assignment than a WIP. >.> If I get a really good idea that I think I might want to do something with later, I might write a few thousand words or so just so I'll have something to work off of later when I decide I want to write it. Otherwise I'm usually just focusing on one at a time.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Others I've shelved, stories not strong enough to take anywhere. This WIP is going slower due to my lack of want to work on it after work really. So I'm just brainstorming at the moment. I'm all about planning I like to create a kind of series bible so I have a solid foundation for the characters before I write it. I do this with all my stories.

A bit like this: http://www.yahighway.com/2012/05/how-to-make-series-bible-guest-post-by.html

Mmm. I'm counting 2 of my shelved novels, because I might rewrite them. They'd both be drastically changed, though.

And I hear you on not wanting to write after work. I've never been able to write when I've been working that day (or doing Uni homework). :)

sadron
12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
3 at the moment.

Space story
Fantasy story
Short story (working on this one)

LadyV
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Three.

2 UFs, 1 Contemporary Fantasy.

Currently I'm only working on the first one, and have been working on it for years. My enthusiasm has waned significantly, but I'm determined to get it done before I work on anything else.

Saoirse
12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
1 main one at the moment that has a deadline. Science Fantasy.
A planned dark fantasy trilogy
1 psychological horror awaiting a rewrite
1 paranormal romance in revision
1 dark fantasy planned (for like, the past 7 years!)
1 dark fantasy that needs revision. Possibly a rewrite.
1 supernatural thing currently in progress.

But I only focus on one WIP at a time.

Myrealana
12-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Three
Or Seven - depending on how you look at it.

There's my completed UF novel which I am line-editing.
There's the middle grade SciFi series.
There's the weird west series.

That's three.

Or, you could count the four books in my UF series separately, since I've outlined book 2 and 3, and written a few scenes, and I've got a rough framework for book 4.
If you did that, you'd probably have to count the two books in the MG SciFi separately, since I've outlined the second but haven't written it yet.
The werid west will eventually be a series, but I've only worked on the first one so far.

I don't really count short stories as works in progress. Typically, when I'm writing short fiction, I get the idea and write it within a couple of days.

K. Trian
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I just checked the 'In Writing' folder, and there're 18 WIPs now. I write with my hubby, so we produce a lot of text. Right now though we're working solely on the first book of our sci-fi series. We rarely write several things at once, at least I get way too schizo if I have to divide myself between e.g. sci-fi and medieval fantasy. It's difficult to switch the moods once you're locked in something.

Lavern08
12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
1 - that I can't finish until a relative dies. (I am soooo not kidding):Shrug:

(Oh, and I wrote a play that I need to go back and touch-up)

Billtrumpet25
12-04-2012, 11:31 PM
1 - that I can't finish until a relative dies. (I am soooo not kidding):Shrug:
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

:Wha:

cray
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
we have 7 different whips of varying size and made from varying materials.
each has its own time and place for use.

Lavern08
12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
^ Pervert!

quickWit
12-05-2012, 12:36 AM
we have 7 different whips of varying size and made from varying materials.
each has its own time and place for use.

8 if you count Cool Whip.
Everything's better with Cool Whip.

profen4
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Okay, so I just did a tally of all the books I've either started or have solid plans for, and I'm bewildered by how long it's going to take me to get through all of them.

So how many do y'all have started/finished/planned?

Started: a dozen or so - but mostly just first chapter and rough outlines
Finished: working on my 7th right now
Planned: seriously planned, solid outline, ready to write as soon as I finish the one queued up - 5.
bo do lot nu dep (http://doxinh.com/danh-muc/do-lot-nu/bo-do-nu/) quan lot nam sieu mong (http://doxinh.com.vn/danh-muc/do-lot-nam/quan-lot-nam/) do ve sinh rang mieng (http://doxinh.vn/danh-muc/do-dung-cho-be/do-ve-sinh-rang-mieng/) vest cong so (http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/vest-cong-so/) chan vay cong so (http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/chan-vay-cong-so/) cho thue trang phuc hoa trang (http://roses.vn/studio/cho-thue-trang-phuc/)
Back to writing now!

Six Alaric
12-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Two novels, six shorts and one graphic novel.

Not sure that makes eight or nine; the graphic novel and one of the written ones tell exactly the same story. (I haven't decided which format is more suitable so I just keep adding to both.)

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Wow, lots of people with big numbers of WIPs. :)

I'm also happy to see that a lot of people are writing SF/F/Horror. :D

Six, I'd count the graphic novel separately. After all, it's still a lot of work you're putting in. :)

cray
12-05-2012, 01:18 AM
8 if you count Cool Whip.
Everything's better with Cool Whip.

pie taste better with cooh hwip.

FionnJameson
12-05-2012, 02:39 AM
459 unique files in my WIP folder. *pukes*

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Wow! I think we have a winner for the "I have way too many WIPs" award. :D

I'd ask how many of those you think you'll try to work on and how many will just be ignored, but sorting through that many would take you all day.

Saoirse
12-05-2012, 03:23 AM
459 unique files in my WIP folder. *pukes*

Wow, that is *a lot* of WIPs.

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm kind of hoping a fair number of them are short story files... Call me an optimist, but I'd love it if she could get through all of them some day.

I don't think humans live long enough to write 459 novels though... Maybe? I don't know... I know some people can do a novel per month and keep up at that pace. 459/12 = 38.25 years. So it is doable...

That's a very intimidating number though!

stormie
12-05-2012, 03:46 AM
and on the other end of the "many WIPs" I have (drum roll)--none. Nada. This hasn't been the case in twelve years. What I have though are about 20 short stories making the rounds, about five essays, two children's stories, one novel, one light verse.

I just haven't started anything new in a month. Maybe it was the storm Sandy and all the fun associated with it. Maybe my mind is on standby. Maybe it's the wrong brand of coffee I've been drinking. Or the Rumpleminz schnapps that was in the freezer that got warm when there was no power. And Lord knows it must be drunk (hehe) icy cold.

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 04:13 AM
Wow, after twelve years, it must be good to have no WIPs for a while. :)

It's been 4 years for me so far with constant WIPs. One day I hope to reach a point where I've written everything on my list and can just sit back and think, "Well, that was fun... Zzzz."

stormie
12-05-2012, 04:33 AM
It's a lost feeling, really. Very strange. I mean, there are maybe fifty unfinished pieces in my folders, waiting for me to resurrect them and rework them into something plausible. Or kill them on the spot. I just don't consider them my WIPs. They're orphans of a sort.

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 04:57 AM
50? Wow, that's quite a bit. If you're feeling lost and have some time, maybe read through each one (as far as it goes)?

You could decide whether to resurrect them or kill them off, or maybe they would spark a new idea, building on your favourite bits from 3 or 4 pieces?

Just a thought. :)

Caitlin Black
12-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Well, I just reorganised my writing folder (and dozens of sub-folders). Now all my short stories are in one place, and I have 11 of them, which is more than I had realised. :)

I'm not counting them individually for my WIP total though - just 1 collection of shorts. :) But yeah, I thought that was interesting... I've written more than I realised!

Beatlemaniac
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I have five WIPs: one YA fantasy, one romance (not sure if YA or adult yet) and three screenplays at various stages. Right now, the YA book has my full attention.

Am also in the middle of PB. Actually, all I have is the cover, no story yet. Which is very unusual for me, as I generally get the storyline first...

calieber
12-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Three novels I definitely intend to write and two I sort of intend to write.

Actually, one of the ones I definitely intend to write, I would actually be in the middle of writing, except that I had the opportunity to get in real life the same job the narrator has; if I get it, I'll use it as research, though if I don't I'll start writing the book right away.

Caitlin Black
12-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Sounds good to me. :)

In other news, even though I'm trying to edit 1, write 1 and plot 1 this month, I'm having random inspiration for a completely different one. Not enough to bother with it, though, and it's for a novella that needs rewriting, so I don't think I really need to make any notes on it right now.

FionnJameson
12-06-2012, 02:48 AM
I'm kind of hoping a fair number of them are short story files... Call me an optimist, but I'd love it if she could get through all of them some day.

I don't think humans live long enough to write 459 novels though... Maybe? I don't know... I know some people can do a novel per month and keep up at that pace. 459/12 = 38.25 years. So it is doable...

That's a very intimidating number though!

One of them is a short story. The rest, unfortunately, are not. I will die without being able to finish them all, a rather sobering thought. If I tried to write a 80k novel a month for the next forty years, I think I'd probably die of exhaustion.

Caitlin Black
12-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Mmm, that would be one hell of a marathon!

Well, here's hoping you can get a whole bunch of them finished anyway. :)

Calliea
12-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Two. One is a novel, the other is my bachelor degree work. One of these is really scaring me :D

I'm bad with WIPs, I either finish something or trash it, I can't stand things in the WIP phase unless I'm actively working on them.

Melanie Dawn
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
2-
romance novel
Erotic romance (QUILTBAG)

both in first draft stage

Caitlin Black
12-09-2012, 01:56 AM
I was actually thinking last night how I'd love to reach a point where I just have 1 WIP at a time... I have a lot at the moment, though I'm only actively working on a few. But maybe once I've got all these done (5-10 years probably...) I can simplify things and just have one WIP at a time?

It would remove a lot of decision-making, I think. "Oh, which one do I feel like working on? Ha! I only have one now!"

Of course, that's a long way off...