If anything grisly happens to me, it was the tow truck driver.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
AKA: Are you supposed to tip the wrecker service?

Long story short, my neighbor needed his truck towed away this morning and didn't have the cash to give the driver. (Normally, they take credit cards, but his swiper was broken.)

My neighbor had somewhere he needed to be, so I said I would drive down the mountain to an ATM and get the tow truck guy his cash. On my way to the machine, I double checked the amount with the driver, got the cash, came back and handed it to him. He counted it and his entire demeanor changed. He looked very angry and his voice was much different than when I had exchanged words with him just a few minutes before, menacing even. He full-on gave me the creeps and I'm not one to walk around in goodebumps.

Did I break wrecker etiquette? I've, blessedly, never needed a tow truck.

Signed,

Backhome&nervous

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG!

That is weird. I've never needed a tow truck before either, but I didn't think the drivers got tips.

(Oh, and I'm a good tipper, too) ;)

ETA: Wish I had lovely neighbors like you. That was such a kind thing to do.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
See? This is why I don't do nice things.

No tip for the driver, but tell your neighbor you gave him an extra $20.

win-win.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
No. He doesn't get tips when they tow cars and put them in impound, why would you have to tip them?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
No. He doesn't get tips when they tow cars and put them in impound, why would you have to tip them?
I don't know! I just don't know why he seemed so-- I can't think of another word-- menacing. I was kinda hoping that you guys would tell me that it's standard to tip a tow truck driver and that I'm just clueless and he's just insulted, not creepy as hell.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did I break wrecker etiquette?

I think you were the one owed a discount for your extra effort, certainly not ingratitude. Report the lout.

I think tip jars placed on counters are nothing but begging with a tin cup. I dislike tipping intensely and go out of my way to patronize places where begging and threats are discouraged.

At every school where I taught, tips were forbidden. One shouldn't have to bribe someone for the best service.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know! I just don't know why he seemed so-- I can't think of another word-- menacing. I was kinda hoping that you guys would tell me that it's standard to tip a tow truck driver and that I'm just clueless and he's just insulted, not creepy as hell.

Now, that'll be just tactless. But that wouldn't be worse than him just acting mean anyhow.

Maybe he was just expecting you, to expect that you'd need to tip him... playing a little mind game to fool you into pushing a little green his way.

Tow truck drivers aren't known for their shining smiles, so I'd think this.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... I was kinda hoping that you guys would tell me that it's standard to tip a tow truck driver and that I'm just clueless...

I dunno.

If I was stranded in a blizzard/downpour/desert, and the tow truck driver was particularly helpful and gracious, I might tip him or her, but since you were just doing a favor for a neighbor, I don't think it was necessary to tip him too. :Shrug:

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
He probably knew you to be a rich and famous author, and stuff, Perks. Maybe he's just angling to be in your next book?

Yeah, that's probably it, probably.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
He probably knew you to be a rich and famous author, and stuff, Perks. Maybe he's just angling to be in your next book?

Yeah, that's probably it, probably.
As long as I'm alive to write it, I'll be sure to dedicate it to his restraint.

(Not to be confused with his restraints.)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The tow truck driver had to wait before he got paid? He may have expected a little something extra for his time. Doesn't excuse his being "angry" and "menacing" though. I'd report him, personally. You seem a little shaken up. And all you did was a very kind favor to them both.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The tow truck driver had to wait before he got paid? He may have expected a little something extra for his time.

I didn't think about that. I mean, it only took me a minute to get the money and it was on his way to the highway. Still, maybe that's what his problem was.

It just occurs to me, Perks, that if this guy does come looking, who's address has he got on the order? Maybe your friend should be nervous...
The truck broke down at my neighbor's house, so it was picked up here and they came to my door, erm, right there.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And all it took was a stinkeye?

*glares menacingly at Perks*

That's 'Wit' with a capital 'W', toots.
You're already in the next book. You're the victim. And it was written so exactingly, let's just say I'm surprised your haven't felt a twinge in your, er, well, let's not spoil it...

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I think I would have asked if there was a problem after I gave him the cash. I'm one of those "let's get this over with" kind of gals. Dolores Haze mentioned maybe he expected more for having to wait to his money (good point), but then it was HIS machine that broke.

If you're concerned, call the boss and mention it. Perhaps the boss will tell you what this guy's issue was.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the truck (and employee) weren't equipped (or really trained) to handle cash.

Might be a case of misdirected stress "hope this doesn't bite me in the arse" sort of thing.

Or he's just another idiot with a truck.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
You're already in the next book. You're the victim. And it was written so exactingly, let's just say I'm surprised your haven't felt a twinge in your, er, well, let's not spoil it...

And here I thought that was just my thong riding up on me...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had to call a tow-truck, so I couldn't say for sure, but that sounds just plain silly to me. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
*removes menacing demeanor from conversation.*

see how it works, perks?