PDA

View Full Version : to continue ... your sign, your writing, and your life

butterfly
12-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes, your astrological sign.

I have taken a few personality tests over the years in my quest to discover whether it is me or "everyone else", I have concluded that some things are simply predestined. Doesn't make some of it any easier to take, it just is.

Also, I am an introvert, which I know but like to read about anyway, for confirmation that there is at least one other other out there: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/302696/ and http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts

Honestly? Some of you who respond on here are brave, determined, extremely confident, and have an unwavering sense of self, or maybe that's just a result of total self-confidence. At times I envy that but sometimes it makes me sit back a bit and say "whoa!"

Others (well, me) are more background music, around but not that outwardly impressive or apparent, and every once in a while will play a tune that will make most people stop, listen, and say, hey, that's pretty awesome, then return to their wonderous world and maybe remember that tune every so often with a smile or at least hope they do.

If our sign influences our writing it means that it influences our actions and how we view people and the world.

Have you ever thought about this? Do you analyze yourself / your writing in terms of All Things or do you just roll with it?

Beatlemaniac
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Total self confidence? Moi? :D

I'm sure you weren't referring to me, but I am a Sagittarius, one of 'em "fire" signs. I'm an extrovert for sure, and I knew from an early age that I was a born writer.

Since you mentioned astrology, something that goes hand in hand with it is numerology, which I find very fascinating. Though I'm no expert, I've noticed certain numbers repeat in our lives. Don't believe me? Check your family birthdays. There's always a pattern somewhere, whether it's a certain month everyone seems to be born in, or certain birthdates of individuals and so forth (the numbers 2, 14 and 31 run in mine).

For fun, I did a numerology reading once. What did it tell me?

That I was destined to become a famous writer. I kid you not.

After I picked myself up off the floor (where I'd fallen, from laughing my butt off), I said "Hmmm, really?"

Yeah, still waiting fer that one to happen... :rolleyes

Manon
12-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Numerology sounds fascinating O_o I'm from Sept 2, 2 definitely plays a large role in my life somehow.

I'm a virgo and recognize a lot of it in myself. I'm a perfectionist, tidy, orderly, and extremely critical of myself (and when I was younger, of others too). It's also said virgos live to serve but I don't really see myself in that, lol.

I do score extremely high on "conscientiousness" in the Big 5 :P.

I personally like the combination of the Chinese Zodiac and Western Zodiac most though, I always felt simply the descriptions are a bit too limited to describe my full character.

I do know the orderliness does influence my writing, as does the being very critical bit. I am all for approaching writing as an organized entity - I know what I want to write and when (though I do pants somewhat) and also, I'm so critical of my own writing I make myself insecure. :<

Beatlemaniac
12-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Numerology sounds fascinating O_o I'm from Sept 2, 2 definitely plays a large role in my life somehow.

I'm a virgo and recognize a lot of it in myself. I'm a perfectionist, tidy, orderly, and extremely critical of myself (and when I was younger, of others too). It's also said virgos live to serve but I don't really see myself in that, lol.

I do score extremely high on "conscientiousness" in the Big 5 :P.

I personally like the combination of the Chinese Zodiac and Western Zodiac most though, I always felt simply the descriptions are a bit too limited to describe my full character.

I do know the orderliness does influence my writing, as does the being very critical bit. I am all for approaching writing as an organized entity - I know what I want to write and when (though I do pants somewhat) and also, I'm so critical of my own writing I make myself insecure. :<

That's funny you mentioned being a Virgo. My late father was one, and his personality was very much how you described yours. I tend to be critical to a degree with my own writing. Really, it's more of "how can I make this stand out?" than "ugh, my writing sucks!"

I try not to "pants" when I write. I do an outline first, but it's always with the thought "this isn't written in stone, and I can change things as needed". So, I'm flexible in a way too, despite being orderly most of the time!

Manon
12-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I think the flexibility is really important - I often find that as I go, some things just change in the story organically (so much it even suprises me) - for the better! If you just keep to your outline stoically, it can actually mean a less good story. In my so humble opinion :P

Beatlemaniac
12-02-2012, 05:12 PM
I think the flexibility is really important - I often find that as I go, some things just change in the story organically (so much it even suprises me) - for the better! If you just keep to your outline stoically, it can actually mean a less good story. In my so humble opinion :P

Yeah, I find things will go off in a different direction sometimes when I do the actual writing. I don't have a problem with it as long as it works within the story.

If it doesn't, I have no qualms about cutting it out of the MS...at all. Sometimes you just gotta do it.

Manon
12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Agreed!

KellyAssauer
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Some of you who respond on here are brave, determined, extremely confident, and have an unwavering sense of self, or maybe that's just a result of total self-confidence. At times I envy that but sometimes it makes me sit back a bit and say "whoa!"

Others (well, me) are more background music, around but not that outwardly impressive or apparent, and every once in a while will play a tune that will make most people stop, listen, and say, hey, that's pretty awesome, then return to their wonderous world and maybe remember that tune every so often with a smile or at least hope they do.

If our sign influences our writing it means that it influences our actions and how we view people and the world.

Have you ever thought about this? Do you analyze yourself / your writing in terms of All Things or do you just roll with it?

As another introvert I analyze myself and my writing way too much. I also check my horoscope each week. (The very best online 'scope I've found is here (http://www.dailyscopes.com/), it's uncanny how accurate it is for me.)

However, the one thing I have learned after hanging out here for so long, is that I have to write my stories. I have to 'roll with it' when it comes to the writing process, or else I won't finish things. This change in mindset was a direct result of my interaction with several "brave, determined, extremely confident" writers who are here. It's made a big change in that I'm not over-analyzing the creative first draft process anymore. I just write the darn thing, and then begin to break down what I want the piece to say when I'm editing.

=)

GinnieHazel
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
You do realise that none of this has any grounding in science, reason or fact, don't you?

It's been pointed out to me that this would probably be found offensive. I know I should probably delete this but that feels more like pretending it didn't happen than saying sorry.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to and I didn't want to. :flag:

That being said, I do have my reasons for saying what I did. I'm happy to either talk about them or slink off into obscurity.

I'm a Taurus, by the way. :tongue

Manon
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Um, yes, I as a person with a bachelor's degree in psychology do know, but it's interesting to philosophize about in my opinion. No need to hack it down.

KellyAssauer, you know what also helped me (because all that sounds really familiar)? I allowed myself to just let the first draft just be rough. No editing, no constant criticizing, actually, I don't even read it back, I just have to get the words down, otherwise I'm stuck moping over little details. ^^ That was a major change for me in my entire mind-set though.

Myrealana
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't believe in signs or numerology or any other external definitions that pre-determine your personality.

I do find MB personality types fascinating, since I'm right in the borderline. I frequently come out as INTJ, but sometimes, the N is an S and sometimes the J is a P.

I am an introvert, though. I can stand up in front of people and do improv, or teach class or sing a solo, but afterwards, I'm wiped out. I need time alone - really, really alone, like in the bathtub.

DeleyanLee
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
As another introvert I analyze myself and my writing way too much. I also check my horoscope each week. (The very best online 'scope I've found is here (http://www.dailyscopes.com/), it's uncanny how accurate it is for me.)

Thanks for the link. Just checked it out for the last week for both my sun & rising signs and it was completely off for both of them. LOL! Ah, well, nothing works for everyone.

You do realise that none of this has any grounding in science, reason or fact, don't you?

You do realize that without astrology and other occult studies there would be no astronomy, no chemistry and other sciences, right? I could list another thing that might get the thread locked that has no scientific grounding yet most everyone thinks has great affect on their lives too.

Science is a means to understand how the world works, but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of that understanding.

I used to cast natal charts when I was younger, but sucked at interpretations (which is why I'm not an astrologer). There's a lot more in a chart that goes into figuring out whether someone is a writer, will be a working writer, and what their personality is than just the sun sign. The sun sign reflects the ego and self-image, so seeing if there are more intro/extroverts with that sun sign.

I'm a Scorpio sun, and an introvert who can fake being a people person when I have to (though it's very taxing). One of the biggest dislikes I have of becoming a best-selling author is that I'd have to make public appearances. I just really really dread such things, the more so as I get older. However, I'm also high-functioning autistic, so that probably has more to do with it than being a Scorpio. ;)

KellyAssauer
12-02-2012, 07:27 PM
n.
KellyAssauer, you know what also helped me (because all that sounds really familiar)? I allowed myself to just let the first draft just be rough. No editing, no constant criticizing, actually, I don't even read it back, I just have to get the words down, otherwise I'm stuck moping over little details. ^^ That was a major change for me in my entire mind-set though.

That's what I learned to do here. I learned to let the first draft be a first draft, and I stopped over-analyzing every new piece as I was creating. Just write it, became words to live by. It seems silly to look back on that as a discovery, but it was a major change to my methodology. Now I really enjoy the initial writing process and the editing and I finish things! =)

Jamesaritchie
12-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Anything will affect your life drastically IF you believe it will. Astrological signs are no different. If you believe what your sign says about you, if you read charts and believe them, they will affect you.

I think they all BS, and while I do know what my sign is, I haven't looked at an astrological chart, haven't looked into what my sign is supposed to mean, since I was about seventeen, and didn't take it seriously even then.

I don't really buy into introvert/extrovert, either. We are what we want to be, we are how we want to be, and introvert/extrovert makes no difference. Everything is a choice, pure and simple. Unless, of course, we read articles, astrological charts, personality breakdowns, and believe them. Too many read such things and say, "Well, there you go. That explains everything. That's what I am, and that's how I have to be."

B.S. Pure B.S. That ain't science, it's as much a voodoo science as astrology.

We are what we make ourselves. Every last thing we do is a choice. The way we act, what we believe, the way we interact with people, the things we do or do not accomplish, even the things we like or dislike, happens because we make good or bad choices.

leahzero
12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Um, yes, I as a person with a bachelor's degree in psychology do know, but it's interesting to philosophize about in my opinion. No need to hack it down.

I'm glad to see this. I'm a hardcore skeptic, agnostic, etc. who also knows there's no scientific evidence to support astrology, but astrology is interesting to me as a system by which to categorize various human traits and behaviors, like Myers-Briggs and all the other personality tests and systems.

I don't really fit much of my supposed astrological chart unless you cherry-pick--which is what I think astrology really is: a fun tool to help us recognize our strengths and weaknesses, not to make accurate predictions or proclaim destinies--but I love to assign star charts to my characters, and definitely think of them as their sign. It's a shorthand to describe certain character traits.

Anyway, I'm an Aries sun with Mercury in Aries, and Virgo rising/Virgo moon. Sometimes, I can definitely see the validity in this: an impulsive, fiery idealist who shoots her mouth off too quickly with her strong opinions, tempered by a huge dose of perfectionism, anal retentiveness, and hyperjudgmentalism. :P Other times I'm just like lolwut. With such dissimilar signs, it kind of feels like a cop-out--"Sometimes you are confident, bold, daring, visionary--other times you are the shrinking violet who hates herself and wants to go die in a corner while compulsively biting your nails." Yeah, no shit?

It's fun to think about, though.

GinnieHazel
12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Science is a means to understand how the world works, but it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of that understanding.

It depends how you understand understanding. I take understanding something to mean how things happen and why, and in that way science answers all my questions.

If you're looking for the existential meaning of something, I'm lost. I mostly just assume stuff happens because it happens and nothing else.

That's not to say I don't read meaning into things sometimes. I've ended up with some quite outlandish ideas that way, and that's why I have to use science to discover what's right.

I'm a Scorpio sun, and an introvert who can fake being a people person when I have to (though it's very taxing). One of the biggest dislikes I have of becoming a best-selling author is that I'd have to make public appearances. I just really really dread such things, the more so as I get older. However, I'm also high-functioning autistic, so that probably has more to do with it than being a Scorpio. ;)

I'm high-functioning autistic as well. In my time in the community I've learned the dangers of believing things that aren't true.

butterfly
12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
It is all connected and it goes beyond us, whether you want to believe it or not. Some things just are and those of you who don't believe or profess your indifference or just take a stance because you're too lazy to take the time to read about those who paved the way for us through suffering and used every minute of every day doing things of consequence really ought to open your minds up to possiblity because 1) they are how we got here today and 2) your writing will probably be shallow, dull, and boring.

Back in the day when territories were charted, people died from fevers and only three planets existed, physicians drew medical maps of their patients and added to them each ailment. From this they could predict their future physical and mental history and could diagnose better than any xray or ultrasound today. Many still died because they didn't have simple fixes like Tylenol or Amoxicillin, but many were saved by proper diet and exercise. Google it. These physicians, healers, and sayers paved the way for what you know today.

Beatlemaniac - I will look into numerology

Kelly Assauer - I have the link open on a new tab

GinnieHazel - please don't ever apologize for what you believe. I am perfectly willing to listen as long as it doesn't get personal.

Jamesaritchie - what exactly do you believe in?

Manon - what does "pants it" mean? Writing off the seat of your pants?

I only did a quick read of the above - I'll be back later.

jjdebenedictis
12-02-2012, 11:19 PM
The axis of the Earth has precessed since western astrology created the 12 Sun signs. Now the sun appears to pass through 13 constellations, but astrology never corrected this.

Also, the Sun no longer passes into the constellations on the dates listed by astrologers. So even if astrology was once accurate, it isn't now because it doesn't track with reality anymore. It has been reduced to a study of out-of-date charts.

If astrology is accurate, why didn't astrologers predict the existence of Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto?

Is it because:
Back in the day when territories were charted, people died from fevers and only three planets existed...So you think those planets didn't exist until humanity saw them? What were we seeing, if they weren't there until we looked?

Jupiter has a moon that is larger than Mercury. Why doesn't that moon count as a planet when Mercury does?

Earth's moon is larger than Pluto. Why does our moon not count as a planet when Pluto does?

Pluto's moon Charon is nearly as big as Pluto itself. Why doesn't it have any separate influence?

Pluto is really a large member of the Kuiper asteroid belt, why does it count as a planet at all?

If Pluto counts, why don't any of the asteroids in the belt just beyond Mars count? After all, they're much closer to us.

I'mma gonna leave your comment about non-believers being boring writers alone, because that's something a mod should deal with.

MacAllister
12-02-2012, 11:41 PM
If we can't have this discussion without at least attempting to not be sneering and dismissive of each other, it's not a thread that will last long at all.

Clear, everyone?

Susan Littlefield
12-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Great question, Butterfly.

I just roll with the flow and not overanalyze anything (I used to, but all it did was exhaust me). I'm not much into astrology regarding my own life, as I've found it (for myself) to be confining and like trying to put my personality in a box. I prefer to just be.

Yes, I have studied astrology. ;)

However, writing a character based on an astrology profile might be interesting. :)

sunandshadow
12-03-2012, 01:16 AM
I've never found my astrological sign to correspond with my personality. I'm a Leo, but I don't particularly like being the center of attention, nor am I any good at getting and keeping that attention; I'm not particularly charismatic or entertaining.

Manon
12-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Manon - what does "pants it" mean? Writing off the seat of your pants?

Lol. Pantsing is writing without an outline. Just letting the words come as you go with no clear idea of where you're heading. No clue who made up that word ^^

Susan, I agree basing characters on astrological profiles is a nice idea. Even if you don't believe it, usually they make for "real"(ish) profiles of people that have some sort of coherence, even if they're mostly a little platonic. Good place to start and then flesh it out, I guess.

jaksen
12-03-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm a Sag and have a science degree. I don't necessarily believe in astrology, but I find it fun, just like I find a lot of things in life fun. Some of the Sagittarius traits fit me perfectly - others, like being athletic? Ummm, not so much. I'm also introverted irl but online I can come across as very outgoing.

In my mind, anything that gets us talking and thinking about who we are and why and so on is a worthwhile topic. Like I said, I was a science teacher - who had a poster of a centaur with a bow and arrow on her prep room door.

But does knowing my sign affect my writing? I don't think so. I'm really quite fearless in my writing - is that listed as a Sag trait?

thepicpic
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
In some respects, I suppose I'm a classic gemini. My mood can and does change with the drop of a hat (coupled with an explosive temper). Sometimes everything's great and I'm on fire, others I get frustrated by being stuck in my own head with my thoughts as company.
But that said, I don't really believe. I can't shake the feeling that the chances of finding out what's really going on in the universe are so small, it's probably best to just not worry and roll with it.
This is especially so with my writing. It's another world with different people and I'm just trying to keep up with them as I take notes. I don't know my characters' star signs or beliefs or anything and unless it becomes important, I don't care- I only ever know enough to get to the next milestone and I'm good with that. Keeps it interesting for me. ;)

Kitty27
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm a Scorpio.

I am a tad obsessive about my writing. Once I lock down,I shall have it!

I suppose that's a good trait to have when it comes to finishing novels.

Manon
12-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I wish I was more obsessive with my writing, that would definitely come in handy, lol.

Shadow_Ferret
12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Honestly, no. My writing and where the stars were (supposedly) when I was born have no connection. Whatsoever.

BigWords
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm a Capricorn, FWIW.

Um... That's the goat, right? Hmm. Somehow appropriate.

In Chinese horoscopes it turns out that I was born in the Year of the Horse. *sigh* None of the pretty things. A person could begin thinking there was a conspiracy against them...

elindsen
12-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Although I think it's fun, I don't believe in these numbers/signs stuff. Complicates just another part of my life ;)

GinnieHazel
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
In Chinese horoscopes it turns out that I was born in the Year of the Horse.

Me too! What year were you born in?

BigWords
12-03-2012, 09:49 PM

I would go hunting for other things, but having noted the goat and horse bits, I think it is safer not to know much more. I would merely get depressed.

Maze Runner
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Sagittarius, I got a birthday comin up. Gonna be 29 again. I never think about my Astrological sign, but doesn't the time of day have to be taken into consideration? An ex girlfriend once had my chart done and I admit that I was surprised at the accuracy. I have a daughter born, not on the same day but on the same minute of the day. I didn't realize it for a while 'cause we were born in different time zones. It's easy to dismiss this stuff, but maybe we shouldn't.

Phaeal
12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm a totally perfect Pisces, from being the most psychic and artistic of the signs to having a tendency to avoid boring real world stuff like, you know, electric bills. I'm also susceptible (like the Little Mermaid) to sore feet.

I'm also an Objectivist. Go figure.

And, in the Chinese astrology, a Dirt Dog. Okay, an Earth Dog, but Dirt Dog sounds cooler, like a blues song.

Oh, and in the "What ship would you be on?" quiz, I tied between Serenity (Firefly) and Galactica (Battlestar Galactica/new version). ABSOLUTELY FRAKKING CORRECT! It's uncanny....

And I'm Xander in Buffy. And Samwise in LotR. And either Dumbledore or Tom Riddle in Harry Potter. Damn, I'm a mess.

:D

frankiebrown
12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Astrology is fun :D!

I'm a Pisces, born in the year of the metal horse. Not sure if it affects my writing style?

I looked it up.

"A Pisces born on March 12 brings creativity and grace to everything he or she does. (I don't know about all that, LOL) They are adept at physical endeavors but can also impart their artistry to important life interests. (This is interesting, because I was a competitive swimmer for twelve years and now I'm a spinning (stationary bike) instructor.)... With so much artistic talent at their disposal, March 12 individuals are often drawn to creative professions... (That sounds promising!) They are not concerned with how much money they make. (And very true.)"

So, yay astrology!

August Talok
12-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm a Libra - and I could go either way with the topic... hehe.

Theo81
12-04-2012, 12:36 AM
There are already enough things out to get me. I don't need to start believing great hulking bits of rock are too. It's right up there with cold reading, organised religion, and publishers who treat their writers as a family as far as I'm concerned. If it works for you, fine - if believing in the Magical Pixies of Snotland helps you get through your day I'm not going to begrudge you that - but please don't start insisting it's, like, totally the best thing ever and we should all do it this instant.

Earth's moon is larger than Pluto. Why does our moon not count as a planet when Pluto does?

Pluto is not a planet. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060824-pluto-planet.html)

roseangel
12-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I know too many people born under the same sign who are all vastly different from each other to ever believe in it.
Also, predictions for the same sign vary wildly between predictors, which also discourages belief.
But it is an interesting system, I'm vastly interested in peoples reactions to the predictions then the predictions themselves.

LadyV
12-04-2012, 03:55 AM
I kind of wish my astrological sign correlated with my writing. Capricorns are supposedly ambitious, determined, stubbornly dedicated to their goals. Me, not so much.

In Chinese horoscopes it turns out that I was born in the Year of the Horse. *sigh* None of the pretty things. A person could begin thinking there was a conspiracy against them...
It could be worse, BW. You could have been born the Year of the Rat, like me.

jjdebenedictis
12-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Pluto is not a planet. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060824-pluto-planet.html)I know, but astrologers still consider it "a powerful force on a collective and individual level (http://astrology.about.com/od/advancedastrology/p/Pluto.htm)."

And that begs the question: Why? Why didn't Pluto have any effect before it was discovered? Why does it have an effect now, after being down-graded? Why does it count as a planet at all (to astrologers), when Titan and our moon don't, and the asteroids in the belt beyond Mars don't?

DeleyanLee
12-04-2012, 04:17 AM

Pluto is really a large member of the Kuiper asteroid belt, why does it count as a planet at all?

If Pluto counts, why don't any of the asteroids in the belt just beyond Mars count? After all, they're much closer to us.

FWIW, the moon is considered as important as the sun to many astrologers. Neither are planets, they're called "luminaries". Brill, huh?

As for the asteroids--there are studies of astrology that does use many of the bigger asteroids (in both belts, IIRC). With the various nodes, parts and other stuff you can bring into the chart, it can get very complicated.

But the average person may know their sun sign, not the placement of the rest of the planets, moon, nodes, houses, etc.

It could be worse, BW. You could have been born the Year of the Rat, like me.

Watch it, kiddo. Some of us Rats are very happy to be what we are. :wag:

frankiebrown
12-04-2012, 04:33 AM

The Year of the Horse is awesome.

Beachgirl
12-04-2012, 05:03 AM
I'm a Leo and I have always been told the sign fits me perfectly, though I don't actually follow astrology or read the horoscopes. I'm an extrovert, love being the center of attention, and have always been creative. During school I was in theater/drama, choir, debate club and journalism. As to whether being a Leo has any impact on my writing, I don't know. But Leos do tend to decide what they want and then go after it with a ferocity, which is what I have done with writing.

Leo has some pretty hefty negative traits, which I can sometimes see in myself as well. I try to keep those reigned in as much as possible.

blacbird
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Why didn't Pluto have any effect before it was discovered?

No answer to this one, and you can add Uranus and Neptune to that list, as well.

Why does it count as a planet at all (to astrologers), when Titan and our moon don't, and the asteroids in the belt beyond Mars don't?

Titan (and the even larger Ganymede) and our moon and the other four large planetary moons (Callisto, Europa, Io, Triton), as well as many smaller ones, don't count as planets simply because they orbit other planets, rather than directly orbiting the sun. And aside from Earth's moon, none of those were discovered until Galileo built his telescope 400 years ago. Astrology has been around since long before that.

Plus we now have yet another sun-orbiting body, Eris, which is even larger than Pluto. It's discovery was the prime domino that toppled Pluto from the list of planets, in the eyes of the official astronomical community. How does that one work?

caw

Kitty27
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
They did not consult Scorpios about OUR ruling planet. Therefore,we completely disregard this foolery about Pluto not being a planet.

Astrology is quite fun. I had chart done a long time ago and I'm a double Scorpio,lol.

Big Words and Lady V,my daughter is a Capricorn and she acts like a short old woman . Everything is organized,she's very driven and goes about her business in a single minded way. The child actually lectured me about not going to work because by doing so,I couldn't pay the cable bill and that was bad form.

I don't believe our signs impact our writing,but it's fun to discuss!

Mr Flibble
12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm Taurus. Pretty much the only thing that's right about that is the sheer stubbornness. My moon sign is Virgo, which means I hate chaos apparently, and I should find it soothing to do housework. *eyes house* :roll::roll::roll:Nuts to that.

I'm also a Rooster. Kind of fits a bit better. Although I try not to strut. Or cock a doodle doo too early in the morning.

One out of three ain't bad, I suppose.

DancingMaenid
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Heh, I'm a Leo, but it's really hard to see it as a good fit. I am creative, but I'm very introverted and don't like being the center of attention.

When I was in my teens, I had a girlfriend who was into astrology and drew up my whole chart, and she claimed taking all astrological influences into account, my chart made sense for me.

But I know very little about astrology. So who knows?

LadyV
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Big Words and Lady V,my daughter is a Capricorn and she acts like a short old woman . Everything is organized,she's very driven and goes about her business in a single minded way. The child actually lectured me about not going to work because by doing so,I couldn't pay the cable bill and that was bad form.

I don't believe our signs impact our writing,but it's fun to discuss!
My mother should be the Capricorn, because she's Miss Organization just like your daughter, but she misses the cut-off by two days. Instead she's a Sagittarius, which according to the supposed traits, doesn't describe her in the slightest.

DeleyanLee
12-04-2012, 07:35 PM
My mother should be the Capricorn, because she's Miss Organization just like your daughter, but she misses the cut-off by two days. Instead she's a Sagittarius, which according to the supposed traits, doesn't describe her in the slightest.

FWIW, the actual dates when signs start/finish varies by year. The dates quoted most places are averages. Depending on the year she was born, she might well be a Capricorn. ;)

Susan Littlefield
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm a Scorpio with something like 4 or 5 houses in Scorpio, and I always through Pluto was a cartoon character. Guess I was wrong. :) (and that is difficult for a Scorpio to admit).

BigWords
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Big Words and Lady V,my daughter is a Capricorn and she acts like a short old woman . Everything is organized,she's very driven and goes about her business in a single minded way.

Ah - the organization thing... If that is a common trait, then it explains the massive lists. And the OCD. And quite a lot, actually.

Though not the marshmallow addiction.

thebloodfiend
12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Pisces/Leo/Leo
Wood Dog

I find astrology fun, though I don't take it too seriously. It helps me organize people and understand them. I've never met anyone who's sun sign I didn't immediately connect with them.

StephanieZie
12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
My sign is Aquarius. Some of it matches my personality, but some doesn't, so I take what I like and leave the rest. However, if you've ever taken a Myer's Briggs test, I am a huge believer in that. I took the test a few years ago and found out I'm an INTP. When I read the description of that type, I was in awe of how much it sounded like me. It sounded like they could have written JUST about me. These are some of the things that really resonated with me:

- They are preoccupied with theory, and search for the universal law behind everything they see. They want to understand the workings of the universe, in all their complexity.
- INTPs are detached, analytical observers who can seem oblivious to the world around them because they are so deeply absorbed in thought. They spend much of their time focused internally: exploring concepts, making connections, and seeking understanding.
- INTPs are merciless about analyzing ideas and beliefs, and hold little sacred. They are often baffled by other people who remain loyal to beliefs that don't make logical sense.
- They seek to create complex systems of understanding to unify the principles they've observed in their environments.

However, even though I really feel the description is accurate for me, I'm always careful not to let myself be boxed in by what I feel is my "personality". It's not set in stone. People can change if they want to. I'm an introvert, hands down, but over the last few years, I've made a conscious effort to be more sociable and outgoing. For sure, I'll always identify with introverted type thinking, but alot of doors have opened up for me lately, in both my personal and professional life, that probably wouldn't have if I'd let myself stay in my comfortable little introvert box.

Anyway, as far as how all that relates to my writing: I've never really felt like I can connect with other people. It's been said that the "real world" of an introvert is inside their heads, and everything outside is incidental. I feel sometimes like there is a glass soundproof wall between me and everyone else. I can see them and they can see me, but we exist in different worlds. Writing, for me, is a way to create a world that I feel like I can fully exist in, and that often feels more real to me than what's outside of me. As a corollary of that, I feel like maybe if other people read what I write, in a way, I can connect. I can sit here and tell you my birthday, and my hopes and fears and my hobbies, but it's surface level. It isn't me talking about myself. Writing. Thats me talking about myself. And even if my writing is never read by another soul, just to have it exist is meaningful for me.

blacbird
12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
I've never met anyone who's sun sign I didn't immediately connect with them.

I'll bite. Obviously we haven't met in person, so let me fill in some blanks:

In person, I'd say I'm a considerable introvert. I put that off on my Lutheran Norse Garrison Keillorish heritage (parents from Denmark, born and raised in the northern Midwest). I'm relatively tall, need to lose about 15 pounds, blue eyes, hair becoming seriously blond, weak eyesight, left-handed. Most people here consider me a bit curmudgeonly, probably an assessment merited. I tend to be pretty direct in discussion, and probably more sarcastic than necessary, a tendency I'm trying to improve upon.

What's my sign? (Perhaps I should start a poll thread.)

caw

thebloodfiend
12-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I'll bite. Obviously we haven't met in person, so let me fill in some blanks:

In person, I'd say I'm a considerable introvert. I put that off on my Lutheran Norse Garrison Keillorish heritage (parents from Denmark, born and raised in the northern Midwest). I'm relatively tall, need to lose about 15 pounds, blue eyes, hair becoming seriously blond, weak eyesight, left-handed. Most people here consider me a bit curmudgeonly, probably an assessment merited. I tend to be pretty direct in discussion, and probably more sarcastic than necessary, a tendency I'm trying to improve upon.

caw

In person, dude.

But I'll give it a shot.

Virgo. Second guess, Capricorn.

Phaeal
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I think he would be Snape in Harry Potter, Giles in Buffy, Radagast the Brown in LotR, and Sam Clemens in literary history.

Mr Flibble
12-06-2012, 05:29 AM
I tend to be pretty direct in discussion, and probably more sarcastic than necessary, a tendency I'm trying to improve upon.

caw

Your sarcasm often makes my day

It's the self pity posts that make me want to thwap you round the head (though I can understand it too...just that self pity does nothing for you or anyone else.)

blacbird
12-06-2012, 05:51 AM
In person, dude.

But I'll give it a shot.

Virgo. Second guess, Capricorn.

Nope and nope. Leaving ten more guesses and the process of elimination. But I'll drop a hint. The two most famous people I know of with whom I share a birthday are a famous basketball player and a somewhat notorious and scandalous ultra-wealthy female celeb.

This is actually kind of fun. Maybe we need a whole new thread for this game in Office Party.

caw

frankiebrown
12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Nope and nope. Leaving ten more guesses and the process of elimination. But I'll drop a hint. The two most famous people I know of with whom I share a birthday are a famous basketball player and a somewhat notorious and scandalous ultra-wealthy female celeb.

This is actually kind of fun. Maybe we need a whole new thread for this game in Office Party.

caw

Gemini?

thebloodfiend
12-06-2012, 09:46 AM

caw

There's a first time for everything.

But I don't really find it fun online, tbh. I like meeting people, finding out their weird quirks, and guessing off of knowing them after a few weeks. I don't seem like a Pisces online. I've never really seemed like a Pisces in RL, though.

But I don't believe in astrology anymore than I believe in God or unicorns. It's just an interesting way to categorize personality types to better help me understand people.

blacbird
12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Gemini?

Nope. That's zero for three guesses. That's the limit. The two famous people I mentioned, with whom I share a birthday, are Michael Jordan and Paris Hilton. Now you can look up their birthdays. And they are soooooooooo similar.

I consider my point made.

caw

Richard Paolinelli
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
One quick question:

If, like I was, a person is born on another planet does this astrology-thingy still apply when said person is on Earth?

:evil

davidh219
12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm an Aries and, like you, I'm an introvert. I struggled with it for a long time, but then I met a girl who brought me out of my shell, and now I just dislike social situations, whereas before I disliked them and was terrified of them. My girlfriend is the only person I can be around for long periods of time without feeling knock-down drag-out tired, and I'm thankful for her every single day.

I never wrote anything as a kid. Nor did I read very many books as a kid. My love of books and writing started about three years ago. Even though it's a recent love, I know I'm a writer, without question. I may never be successful at it. I may never be able to live off it. But I won't ever stop trying, because the thought of doing anything else for a living terrifies me. Literally terrifies me--to death.

I look at some of the people who work in the same factory as me, who come in 5 or 6 days a week and have been there for 15 or 20 years, and it makes my hands shake. I need to write for a living, because any other life isn't a life, in my eyes.
I've only ever worked as much as is necessary to keep a roof over my head, and I can't even imagine working full-time. I think I might prefer to kill myself. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but seriously. I would hate my life every second of the day, even when I wasn't working, because I would just be thinking about how much going back to work is gonna suck. The part of the brain that allows you to forget about work and enjoy your time off just doesn't exist in my brain. Probably part of the whole introvert thing, but who knows. I think I'm just broken. This world wasn't build for the way I am.

frankiebrown
12-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm an Aries and, like you, I'm an introvert. I struggled with it for a long time, but then I met a girl who brought me out of my shell, and now I just dislike social situations, whereas before I disliked them and was terrified of them. My girlfriend is the only person I can be around for long periods of time without feeling knock-down drag-out tired, and I'm thankful for her every single day.

I never wrote anything as a kid. Nor did I read very many books as a kid. My love of books and writing started about three years ago. Even though it's a recent love, I know I'm a writer, without question. I may never be successful at it. I may never be able to live off it. But I won't ever stop trying, because the thought of doing anything else for a living terrifies me. Literally terrifies me--to death.

I look at some of the people who work in the same factory as me, who come in 5 or 6 days a week and have been there for 15 or 20 years, and it makes my hands shake. I need to write for a living, because any other life isn't a life, in my eyes.
I've only ever worked as much as is necessary to keep a roof over my head, and I can't even imagine working full-time. I think I might prefer to kill myself. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but seriously. I would hate my life every second of the day, even when I wasn't working, because I would just be thinking about how much going back to work is gonna suck. The part of the brain that allows you to forget about work and enjoy your time off just doesn't exist in my brain. Probably part of the whole introvert thing, but who knows. I think I'm just broken. This world wasn't build for the way I am.

Reminds me of this (http://www.lesliestella.com/site/lets-say/) blog post: "Let’s say you are a young person who wants to write. No, not wants; yearns to write."

StoryG27
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm a Scorpio.
That's all I know. I have no idea what the traits are for the sign, only that I've had friends interested in astrology (intelligent people I respect) who tell me I'm not typical. Well, that is, unless I get really mad (they say my Scorpio comes out), which only happens if I really care about something. Insult me, meh, I'll probably agree. Insult or hurt my kid, and I'll have you begging for mercy, mercy I won't give, not for a while anyway. Does that mean Scorpios are typically mean? I don't know. And since I haven't a clue about my sign, I haven't a clue if it affects my writing.

I'm open to hearing/learning about anything but believe very little of what I hear. I find things I don't believe or understand to be the most interesting topics and I'm fascinated, not offended, by views opposing my own.

Susan Littlefield
12-06-2012, 07:41 PM
It's just an interesting way to categorize personality types to better help me understand people.

Years ago, I studied astrology for fun (and I still think it's fun and interesting), and I used to try and understand people based on their sign too.

The thing is that not all people with a certain sign will have all those personality traits, or even some of them. They are just general personality traits assigned by someone, and they most likely overlap throughout the signs. Maybe some Gemini's don't have that one personality trait that all Gemini's are supposed to have.

So, now I'm not sure how astrological signs can help anyone to understand people. Why? Because outside of those generalized personality traits, we all make our choices based on our experiences. If we didn't have a sign we would still be who we are.

In the small office where I work, we tease about having four Scorpios (me being one of them, and I also share a birthday with someone in the office). However, we all have completely different personality traits and do things differently.

People don't interact with each other based on their signs (well, maybe some do, but not those I know :D), they interact based on commonalities, and great conversation. We choose not to interact with those we don't like, or don't have anything in common with.

thebloodfiend
12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Nope. That's zero for three guesses. That's the limit. The two famous people I mentioned, with whom I share a birthday, are Michael Jordan and Paris Hilton. Now you can look up their birthdays. And they are soooooooooo similar.

I consider my point made.

caw

What point?

Years ago, I studied astrology for fun (and I still think it's fun and interesting), and I used to try and understand people based on their sign too.

The thing is that not all people with a certain sign will have all those personality traits, or even some of them. They are just general personality traits assigned by someone, and they most likely overlap throughout the signs. Maybe some Gemini's don't have that one personality trait that all Gemini's are supposed to have.

So, now I'm not sure how astrological signs can help anyone to understand people. Why? Because outside of those generalized personality traits, we all make our choices based on our experiences. If we didn't have a sign we would still be who we are.

In the small office where I work, we tease about having four Scorpios (me being one of them, and I also share a birthday with someone in the office). However, we all have completely different personality traits and do things differently.

People don't interact with each other based on their signs (well, maybe some do, but not those I know :D), they interact based on commonalities, and great conversation. We choose not to interact with those we don't like, or don't have anything in common with.

Meh, it works for me. It helps me understand why I keep attracting so many self-obsessed people, for one. I put as much faith in it as I put in the existence of unicorns. It would be cool if they existed, and they're fun to study, but I'm not going to hinge important life changing decisions on it anymore than I'm going to start believing in a god.

crunchyblanket
12-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I can't pretend I really 'get' star signs. I'm a Leo, and I don't identify with the vast majority of 'typical Leo' traits. My Chinese zodiac sign (Fire Tiger) doesn't match me much better either. So no, I don't think it influences my writing in any way, unless you subscribe to the notion that just because you don't believe in a thing doesn't make it powerless....

LeslieB
12-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Whenever someone asks me my sign, I reply, "Bridge ices before road."

Phaeal
12-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Mine is WATCH OUT FOR SALT-WATER CROCODILES GRAAAAH ERGH

davidh219
12-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Reminds me of this (http://www.lesliestella.com/site/lets-say/) blog post: "Letís say you are a young person who wants to write. No, not wants; yearns to write."

That was beautiful! :cry:

Kitty27
12-07-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm a Scorpio.
That's all I know. I have no idea what the traits are for the sign, only that I've had friends interested in astrology (intelligent people I respect) who tell me I'm not typical. Well, that is, unless I get really mad (they say my Scorpio comes out), which only happens if I really care about something. Insult me, meh, I'll probably agree. Insult or hurt my kid, and I'll have you begging for mercy, mercy I won't give, not for a while anyway. Does that mean Scorpios are typically mean? I don't know. And since I haven't a clue about my sign, I haven't a clue if it affects my writing.

I'm open to hearing/learning about anything but believe very little of what I hear. I find things I don't believe or understand to be the most interesting topics and I'm fascinated, not offended, by views opposing my own.

We are merely misunderstood! But yes,being vindictive and revenge seeking demons is a Scorpio trait,lol.

We are also supposed to be very focused when we want something.

Susan Littlefield
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
We are merely misunderstood! But yes,being vindictive and revenge seeking demons is a Scorpio trait,lol.

We are also supposed to be very focused when we want something.

:ROFL:

I'm a scorpio and I am misunderstood, but I suspect that has much more to do with my inability to verbally communicate well than my sign.

As for the vindictive and revenge seeking...nope, not all all. Just the opposite, in fact.

Focused is a great trait for anyone, as long as it does not trump common sense.