Calvin Klein or Vivienne Westwood?

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
I'm working on filler for my first novel right now. It's set in the 90s and my MC is about to do a photoshoot with Details magazine. He has the choice of modeling Calvin Klein or Vivienne Westwood. I know both were very popular in the 90s, but which was the bigger runner and better suited for men? I feel like Calvin Klein is the answer but I just want to make sure.

Thank you :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of Vivienne Westwood either. I live a sheltered life.

I know Brooks Brothers and Austin Reed!

You could just make something up.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
According to FMD, Westwood won British Designer of the Year award in 1990 and 1991 and was awarded OBE in 1992. But "...2000 Vivienne Westwood has become the 'old lady of fashion' not yet completely respectable, but yet respected..." So it looks like she achieved her pinnacle in the early '90s if that's the time frame your story is set in.

However, it also depends on your target audience. Klein is obviously better known to the general public. It's like, riding on a Maybach 62 may be more showy than a Rolls-Royce Phantom and way more so than a typical Mercedes-Benz but some (lotz) readers may be clueless.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I have heard of both by dint of being British and sneaking the occasional peek at Vogue magazine. Calvin Klein would seem to be more familiar, possibly because he went into the High Street stores. Do you want exclusive fashion, or accessible?

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
I'm going for exclusive and I don't really know much about fashion. All of the other brands you guys have listed so far, I'm aware of. Looks like to me, since Westwood is British, and my MC is Irish, it would make since that he's wearing her men's furnishings....

I'm looking for something that paints him up more like a product. Are there other brands like that?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter as long as it was a trendy fashion house at the time (since it's for a magazine shoot); just add a little something so that anyone reading the novel will immediately get that it's a high-fashion label.

"We want to do the shoot with you wearing something by Mark Pricey. This silk suit is from his spring collection that he showed in Milano last week." (Just as a crude example.)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Here's a discussion of Westwood's fashions from the National Gallery of Australia.
http://nga.gov.au/westwood/Wilessay.cfm

Her men's fashions were pretty punk influenced, so if you want punk connections for your character that might work well, otherwise you might want to stick with Calvin Klein.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Emporio Armani???

Everyone knows Armani. It probably doesn't even matter which head designer was on the hot seat at that time. But if you really want a Brit, how about one from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Fashion_Awards? But then, you may risk non-fashionista readers simply skimming through without knowing the impact.

I'm not sure if you can involve a celebrity photographer like Annie Leibovitz or Karl Lagerfeld (or a Brit/Irish from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fashion_photographers.) OR you can create one who's a household name to your other chars (everyone screams 'OMG Andy Nuwton's shooting you? OMG OMG I hate you I hate you.')