PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Creeper December challenge

MacAllister
12-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Prizes TBA - let's say under 3k words? Due by midnight Christmas Eve? Has to have a holiday element/setting, should have either a mystery or horror element, or else one helluva plot twist, as well.

Manuel Royal
12-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Sounds good!

Mac, is this under the same rules about being unpublished work? I have a story in mind, but it was previously posted on a different website (in an earlier version).

Calliopenjo
12-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Yay. OK. I'm in. I'll try to think of something.

DLacy
12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
This sounds right up my alley! Under 3K I can do! Now I just need to think up an idea!

VeronicaX
12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm in!

I have never really given much of an effort in trying to write a horror/mystery story, so I will try to come up with something. VERY hectic this month with my eBook and Christmas preparations, but I will give it a shot :)

Thanks for creating contests for us, Mac :)

VP_Benni
12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
This sounds fun. :) I might try this. Thanks Mac!

~Amber~

MacAllister
12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Manuel Royal, an updated version of something you previously placed on the web elsewhere sounds fine, as long as you have the rights. This is more for fun than anything else, you know?

But writing something new is always worthwhile, too. :D

AbielleRose
12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Great idea. :D I'm excited for this one. Krampus will be pleased.

TypoToffee
12-03-2012, 12:12 AM
This sounds like super fun!

Manuel Royal
12-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Manuel Royal, an updated version of something you previously placed on the web elsewhere sounds fine, as long as you have the rights. This is more for fun than anything else, you know?

But writing something new is always worthwhile, too. :DYou're right, Mac. I'll write something new. (Though I might put the other piece in SYW, since it's been rejected eight times and seems unlikely to be published. Also, it's part of the story of why Neil Gaiman is my evil British twin.)

captain_ryan
12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
Hmm. I'll see if I can make time to get into the holiday spirit.

Ha! Christmas horror story! Holiday spirit! I'm writing that one down.

lastlittlebird
12-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Yay :) I will start shaking my writer's notebook and see what ideas fall out.

Calliopenjo
12-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Rules
Entrants must be members of AW in good standing since at least September 30, 2012 (members who join later than September 30th will not be eligible for this contest). Limit ONE entry per member.
Entries will be posted exactly as submitted. Please make sure your spelling and formatting are exactly as you want them before you submit your entry. We will not proofread or edit the entries.
All AW members in good standing since at least October 1, 2012, are eligible to vote.

Mac, does the rule about being a member since September 30 still apply?

MacAllister
12-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Nawww - this is more just for fun, although we'll give away some books and Amazon gift certificates and such to the entries with the most votes. Any member in good standing can enter, and/or vote.

Do you guys want to do blind entries again, (You'd email 'em to me and I'd strip identifiers and post 'em) or just post your own?

And unless we're absolutely swamped with entries, I expect we'll put up a poll with titles, and people can just vote on the poll for their favorites.

Calliopenjo
12-08-2012, 06:25 AM
I say do blind entries. It might help to prevent voting for author without reading their story. I asked because I have a fellow author who would like to join.

Cliff Face
12-09-2012, 04:01 AM
Blind entries sound good to me. :)

Also, the poll would make things easier... Less work for mods/volunteers to tally up the votes. Will there be something like 3 votes per person? Or 1? I guess 1 is easier... Not sure if you can limit the polls here to 3 ticks if you can do multiples.

Are there any other guidelines? 3k maximum, Christmas setting/theme, horror or mystery or plot twist... Anything else?

I've got an idea percolating, and want to get started on it soon, so anything else I have to keep in mind would be helpful. :)

Paul
12-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Great idea. :D I'm excited for this one. Krampus will be pleased.
Hmmm.

Never did scary before, might try it.

but the K creature will NOT be featuring.

Paul
12-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Nawww - this is more just for fun, although we'll give away some books and Amazon gift certificates and such to the entries with the most votes. Any member in good standing can enter, and/or vote.

Do you guys want to do blind entries again, (You'd email 'em to me and I'd strip identifiers and post 'em) or just post your own?

And unless we're absolutely swamped with entries, I expect we'll put up a poll with titles, and people can just vote on the poll for their favorites.
yeah, sounds about right.

Sydneyd
12-09-2012, 04:41 AM

Also, the poll would make things easier... Less work for mods/volunteers to tally up the votes. Will there be something like 3 votes per person? Or 1? I guess 1 is easier... Not sure if you can limit the polls here to 3 ticks if you can do multiples.

Are there any other guidelines? 3k maximum, Christmas setting/theme, horror or mystery or plot twist... Anything else?

I've got an idea percolating, and want to get started on it soon, so anything else I have to keep in mind would be helpful. :)

If you did this you'd have to rule no voting for yourself. Otherwise you'll have an every way tie :) Which could be fun.

Cliff Face
12-09-2012, 04:45 AM
LOL, that reminds me of the first AW competition I entered. It was for an Elevator Pitch, and we had 1 vote. We *could* vote for ourselves, but I chose not to.

I got 0 votes. :(

But yeah, voting for yourself is a bit boring.

MacAllister
12-09-2012, 05:23 AM

Okay - that's about it. You'll email the entries to me at submissions (at) absolutewrite.com and I'll strip the identifiers and post 'em.

I think we'll just put folks on the honor system (also, I can see who votes for what, with my magic admin hat) and ask peeps to limit themselves to three votes each.

Ready, set, GO. :D

Cliff Face
12-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Awesome. :)

My idea is coming along... I won't be writing it until tomorrow at the earliest, but I've got the general gist of it down in notes. Probably need to hash out the plot some more though.

*excited* I considered writing a horror novel, to see if I could do it. So doing a horror short should be an interesting experience. :tongue

VeronicaX
12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I still haven't got started on anything for this contest. Hope I can get some words down one of these days, but it's been in general very hectic around here lately. Why is it that the month December always fly by so much quicker than other months? So frustrating.

Anyway. We'll see :)

SaraP
12-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm a gonna go for this. :)

Cliff Face
12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Mine is coming along nicely. All planned out, and 1200 words in. I've got a lot going on, but I think I'll have it finished and edited in time for close of submissions. :)

Any word on the prizes yet?

Manuel Royal
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Got an idea, but I've also got a different Christmas story commitment. And I'm lazy. May have to go with an old story.

kkbe
12-19-2012, 02:43 AM
"How much horror can AW folksies stomach around the holidays, huh?" whispered the evil little elf. "Should the writer hold back, or . . . ?" He added, in his raspy little voice, "Anybody who answers my question will win an amazing prize!"

(The pea green, pointy-eared twit was lying through his aciculated* little teeth.)

*needle-like :evil

Calliopenjo
12-19-2012, 03:03 AM
Hi KKBE,

This is my opinion and not to be taken as a rule.

I would say go for it, but keep in mind that not everyone has a strong stomach. Also, the images a mind can conjure up with the right descriptions, can be powerful.

Otherwise, have fun.

kkbe
12-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Hi KKBE

"KKBE????!!!! Pay no attention to that girl behind the curtain!" screeched the sick-green, pointy-eared, evil son of a. . .

Manuel Royal
12-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Is this contest open to poetry? If so, can we expect several variations on "A Visit From Saint Nicholas"?

kkbe
12-22-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm wondering how stories are coming along, how many there might be. 'Tis a busy season and folks might forget about this contest. Perish the thought! I look forward to reading a bunch of delightfully decadent Christmas stories. I shall join the fray, submitting one of my own, which isn't done but is shaping up.

Question: how long for the voting? If the question has been answered already, I apologize. And now, as Santa would say, "Onward and upward!"

Cliff Face
12-23-2012, 01:08 AM
My story is nearly finished - just needs another edit or two, to make it sparkle. :)

I think I'll be submitting it pretty close to the deadline, though. This is my first horror story ever, so I keep second-guessing myself. "Should I add something here?" "Does that bit work?"

Fun times.

Calliopenjo
12-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Hi KKBE,

My story is coming along I think. I have time for one more tweak before the deadline. My hope at this point is that it works.

Good luck everyone. :hooray:

Cliff Face
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
About to submit mine. Eep! *nervous*

kkbe
12-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh no. I just submitted mine!

:chair

Putputt
12-24-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm not subbing anything to the contest, but holy hell am I looking forward to reading the stories and rocking the vote! :evil

MacAllister
12-24-2012, 11:51 PM
There's a pretty good bunch of stories that have come in. :D I'll post 'em up tonight, so we've all got some creepy reading to look forward to, on Christmas Day!

Manuel Royal
12-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Excellent ... it's all falling into place.

Well, I'm takin' the rest of the day off. Happy Holidays, everybody!

Cliff Face
12-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Can I get a shiny web badge that says, "Participant"? I used to get those ribbons all the time in school. :tongue

archerjoe
12-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Looking forward to reading stories. Unfortunately, my story fizzled out and could not be revived. After approx. 800 words, I could not make it go any further.

MacAllister
12-25-2012, 08:39 AM
They're up (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=261009)!

(If you sent one, and it's not in that thread, PM me right away and we'll figure out what went wrong!)

Manuel Royal
12-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Looks like a nice variety pack o' stories! I'll have to read them tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy.

And to all a good night!

Cliff Face
12-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I'll have to read them tomorrow too. :)

Fallen
12-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Good luck to everyone who entered. Looking forward to some good chilling reads.

Manuel Royal
12-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Sorry, I forget (and can't seem to find the info) -- should we vote via PM, or will there be a poll?

Calliopenjo
12-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Uhm. . . Mac. . . what's the password again?:Shrug:

Manuel Royal
12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Uhm. . . Mac. . . what's the password again?:Shrug:"holiday" worked for me. (All lower case.)

TypoToffee
12-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone with a password and shares it with me gets my special Christmas blessings...

TypoToffee
12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Got it

Calliopenjo
12-26-2012, 03:29 AM
Good luck, everyone. Merry Christmas!

MacAllister
12-26-2012, 03:34 AM
We'll vote via a poll - I'll have it up later tonight, and leave it open until New Year's Day.

Manuel Royal
12-26-2012, 04:34 AM
That'll be a tough vote. Even given the specificity of "holiday-based horror, mystery or sf", there was a real variety of approaches.

Cliff Face
12-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Will we still have 3 votes each, considering there were only 8 entries?

Because if so, I can almost guarantee I'll get at least one vote. :tongue

kkbe
12-26-2012, 08:09 AM
We could do the three-vote thingie, but that might get a tad complex with only eight entries.

I propose we try a simpler voting formula, for example,
http://maths2010.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/math-problem1.jpg

:)

MacAllister
12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Poll's up (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261056). Three votes. Honor system. Anonymous voting.

Cheers, all!

Calliopenjo
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Mac,

I tried your link, and I got this instead:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find christmas creeper vote!
Suggestions:
Search on Google:

Did I do something wrong?

I tried Sea Monkey and your link won't show and I can't use my IE.

MacAllister
12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna blame too much eggnog, on my part.

Fixed it! (Thanks for the heads-up!)

Calliopenjo
12-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks, Mac. :Hug2:

Cliff Face
12-28-2012, 01:36 AM
I haven't voted yet, but at this point I don't think I'm doing as well as I had hoped.

Eh, it was my first ever horror story, so it was still worth it as a learning experience. :)

Manuel Royal
12-28-2012, 01:42 AM
I see it more as a fun and stimulating joint project than a competition.

Right now I'm listening to a podcast interview with Fred Pohl on his blog, The Way the Future Blogs (http://www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/). At 93, he sounds more energetic than I do. He's talking about the beginnings of his career, back in the '30s, when would-be science fiction writers were driven by sheer love of, and enthusiasm for, ideas and storytelling.

I had that feeling in my youth; just have to find it again. Seeing the enthusiasm of my fellow writers on AW helps, a lot.

Cliff Face
12-28-2012, 01:48 AM
And hey, we get to read 8 free short stories that are all well-written. Can't say no to that. :tongue

TypoToffee
12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
There's a contest? ;)

kkbe
12-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Here ye, here ye, gather 'round
Creepy Christmas tales abound--
Wait--what is that awful sound?
'Tis the sound of writers wailing
As they watch their stories flailing
Whilst others are smoothly sailing!
What are those poor souls to do?
Cry and whine? Or say to you,
"Vote for mine or smell my poo!"

(We suspected. Now we know it:
kkbe ain't no poet! :D)

Putputt
12-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Here ye, here ye, gather 'round
Creepy Christmas tales abound--
Wait--what is that awful sound?
'Tis the sound of writers wailing
As they watch their stories flailing
Whilst others are smoothly sailing!
What are those poor souls to do?
Cry and whine? Or say to you,
"Vote for mine or smell my poo!"

(We suspected. Now we know it:
kkbe ain't no poet! :D)

Bravo! I vote for kkbe's poem.

kkbe
12-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Writers! Do NOT hurl thine toids
at hippos what say kind woids!

:D

Calliopenjo
12-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Me thinks, somebody is either really bored or really nervous.

Seraph
12-30-2012, 05:44 AM
lol @ poem kkbe

I see it more as a fun and stimulating joint project than a competition.
That's how I look at it. I won't lie I'm pretty competitive, though, and what competition! Some fun, creepy reads on the field.

WendyN
12-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Great job, everyone! I love how everyone took such a different take on the theme :)

Fallen
01-01-2013, 12:17 AM
The creepers were great reads, guys! I'm all voted out -- good luck everyone who entered. :)

kkbe
01-01-2013, 09:17 PM
The eleventh hour is soon nigh and so, a bit of inspiration:

-redacted-

ETA: Those were horrid. Horrid. Absolutely awful. :tongue

Calliopenjo
01-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Is KKBE in need of some chocolate?

kkbe
01-02-2013, 01:04 AM
. . . or something.

TypoToffee
01-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Well I'm thinking voting closed yesterday - so congrats to the writers of 'Twas the Night and Candy Cane Killers - both excellent stories!

Calliopenjo
01-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Are we going to reveal who wrote what? I'm kinda curious if my guess is right.

Cliff Face
01-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Congrats also to "Yes, Virginia" which snuck into 3rd place at the last minute. :)

MacAllister
01-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Sorry about being sort of AWOL at the end, here, folks - If anyone wants to claim their story, now that the voting is over, it's okay by me.

I'll PM the winning three folks tomorrow to get email addresses for Amazon gift certificates. :)

Cliff Face
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
I wrote "Custom", which, er, didn't do so well.

I think the main problem was that it wasn't as Christmassy as the others, and the MC was neither evil nor dead at the end of it. :tongue Eh, first time writing horror AND first time writing a Christmas story. Live and learn. :)

ETA: And I wanted to thank whoever those 2 people were who voted for mine. Glad to know some people liked it. :)

Sydneyd
01-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Hey, congrats to the winners!

I wrote Christmas Shattered. This was a great chance to experience writing horror. Thanks for holding the contest and thanks to everyone who wrote and voted!

Cliff Face
01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
I wonder who wrote the winning entries?

kkbe
01-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I wrote Yes, Virginia. Thanks to those who nudged it along, speaking of which. . .

Seven other brave little souls wrote creepy Christmas stories. 663 curious little souls checked those stories out. Sixteen of 663 voted, which is 2.4%, to which I say, most emphatically,

:Wha:

A hearty congratulations to the writers of 'Twas the Night and Candy Cane Killer, you guys done good! We all did! We're all whiners! I mean--

Seraph
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Mine was Candy Cane Killer. Big thanks to everyone who entered and voted, and Mac for hosting the comp, and congrats KKBE and whoever wrote 'Twas the Night. (That moment when he saw himself in the window. . . Damn.) Hopefully the twist in mine caught a few people off guard :evil

Manuel Royal
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I wrote "Custom", which, er, didn't do so well.I liked "Custom", Cliff Face. (Forgive me for thinking the author was a Brit!)

Manuel Royal
01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Mine was Candy Cane Killer. Big thanks to everyone who entered and voted, and Mac for hosting the comp, and congrats KKBE and whoever wrote 'Twas the Night. (That moment when he saw himself in the window. . . Damn.) Hopefully the twist in mine caught a few people off guard :evilI voted for Candy Cane Killer. Like the idea of the backstory reflecting the Angelic War, with the twist of the rebels winning. (I'd sometimes contemplated whether a much better writer than I could do an "alternate mythology" version of Paradise Lost, where Satan and his angels win the day. Would that version of the universe be any the worse for it? Though I think Milton's Satan might prefer being the tragic, defeated figure who nevertheless knows he's right.)

Anyway, I really liked the audacity of your concept. (So, Friendly, aka Gay McNoggins, is like Michael with his sword, formerly serving a Creator, but now destroying? Serving a dead God. I like it; makes me want to have some cocoa and just chuckle to myself in the dark.)

ETA: I wrote "'Twas the Night".

EFTA: Congrats, KKBE! Creepy stuff.

Quite a variety of approaches, in eight stories. (Or rather, directions taken from the same starting point. Like an Iditarod with no set destination.)

Seraph
01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey, Manuel. I'm sorry; I actually didn't have any Biblical overtones in mind when writing it, but I can totally see that interpretation and am glad it could ring that way. And I really liked your story. Almost like reading a dream in parts. The gifts melting into the kids made me wonder at their meaning and effect.

And wanna say, about naming the character Gay, just thought it would be such a ridiculous name for an elf, with their cheery names like Buddy, Friendly. etc, and that's all there was in that. Actually was the dad's name for a while but he turned into just Papa.

Fallen
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Well done to the winners, but it twas tough choices all around. Best being a simple voter in these circumstances....

Manuel Royal
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Seraph, sorry for laying my own half-baked interpretation on your story. Guess it just shows what a deep wellspring of archetypal ideas we all draw from. It's a good sign, too, when your story sparks the reader's imagination. (And, seriously ... your username is Seraph!)

Now, who did "The Christmas Ball"? (Is that British terminology, by the way? At first I misinterpreted the title to be about a gala Christmas party with dancing.) That was spooky. I've always been affected by stories about people's spirits being magically trapped like that.

Calliopenjo
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Mine was Story #1-The Christmas Tree.

I'm not sure who the other voter was, thank you by the way, but I tried to do my best for this one.

Congratulations to the winners though.

Now, what's the next contest? :Hammer:

Manuel Royal
01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Mine was Story #1-The Christmas Tree.

I'm not sure who the other voter was, thank you by the way, but I tried to do my best for this one.

Congratulations to the winners though.

Now, what's the next contest? :Hammer:
A Christmas tree is like a seven-foot-tall stranger you invite to stand in your living room and stare at you for two weeks. I don't trust 'em.

Maybe we should do one for every holiday. (Though I already had a story called "Arbor Day" published, so might skip that one. But Earth Day, now ....)

Calliopenjo
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Taking Manuel's suggestion, we could do a Valentine's Day story? According to whatever genre you write in.

TypoToffee
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
I was the Christmas Ball - you yankie doodles call it something else over here? I asked he-who-must-not-be-shamed and he thought it was the same?

TypoToffee
01-04-2013, 12:00 AM
BTW, well done to everyone who entered. They were all top notch stories - all very enjoyable, and it was a great crowd to run with. Well done again to Twas, Candy and Virginia. That was my first horror too, and I wouldn't mind another bash at it in the future.

Manuel Royal
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
That was my first horror too, and I wouldn't mind another bash at it in the future.I hope you do; I'd like to read it.

We always just called them "Christmas ornaments" in my family. (That covers everything from plain shiny balls to all sorts of little things.)

kkbe
01-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Yep, well done, well done, bravo!!! Everybody who entered gets a big fat kudo wrapped up in a nice, warm sesame seed bun!! Compliments of Subway.

Actually, not really. That's okay, I prefer Taco Bell. Although McDonald's does have damn good fries.

TypoToffee
01-04-2013, 12:29 AM
We always just called them "Christmas ornaments" in my family. (That covers everything from plain shiny balls to all sorts of little things.)

We call them balls in the UK - but then - "balls" pretty much covers everything over there :)

I wanted to be sure it was "a ball," - the idea of a soul trapped in a circle of something suggested eternity in my head - and trapped for eternity seemed pretty spooky.

I wonder what triggered all the others, the thought behind the story can be fascinating.

TypoToffee
01-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Yep, well done, well done, bravo!!! Everybody who entered gets a big fat kudo wrapped up in a nice, warm sesame seed bun!! Compliments of Subway.

Actually, not really. That's okay, I prefer Taco Bell. Although McDonald's does have damn good fries.

I spose a bag of onion rings is out of the question?

Manuel Royal
01-04-2013, 12:46 AM
I wonder what triggered all the others, the thought behind the story can be fascinating.For me it was just idle thinking about how Santa hits so many houses in one night. Multilocation through time travel seemed the obvious answer.

kkbe
01-04-2013, 01:12 AM
I spose a bag of onion rings is out of the question?

You shall have it, Typo. :)

As for mine, two ideas melded into one. First, I'd just seen Scrooge w/ Reginald Owen, so I was kicking around a dark Victorian kind of theme. Then, I happened upon the Yes, Virginia letter, reprinted in a magazine. She'd asked her question via the press, a most public of forums and I thought, what if Sanny Claus took offense? What if he was sick of stupid kids wondering whether or not he was real? The guy works his butt off, and the little ingrates. . .

Calliopenjo
01-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Well, I like to watch ghost stories on TV. Put that together with Christmas Creeper you can pretty much guess how the idea came about. As for the tree, it was an inanimate enough of an object to pick on. Most people have trees and most people think evil thoughts about them.

Cliff Face
01-04-2013, 02:15 AM
I liked "Custom", Cliff Face. (Forgive me for thinking the author was a Brit!)

LOL, I think that's kind of funny... I'm Australian, and we use British spelling. But I tried to make sure there were no Brit-spelled words in the story (changing "mummy" to "daddy" with the bit about the eye-shadow, for instance - American would be "mommy" which just looks weird to me).

The reason I wanted it to seem like it could be American was because of the guns in the store. In Australia (and England, I think) we don't have any department stores that carry guns. But they were kind of essential to the story...

Why did you think it was written by a Brit, by the way?

I wonder what triggered all the others, the thought behind the story can be fascinating.

Well, mine came from a very stressful Christmas period in 2011, where I was working retail. I thought, "Hey, why not have a character who doesn't want to be working have to save the world on Christmas Eve?"

In the end, it became more about just saving herself and others. I realised that 3k probably wasn't enough to save the whole world. :tongue

Sydneyd asked me later where the monster came from, and to be honest, I don't know.

In hindsight, I should've made the monster more Christmassy (Santa's reindeer perhaps?) and had a darker ending. *shrug*

Calliopenjo
01-04-2013, 02:36 AM
I ask again. Valentine's Story? Last time I'm asking, I swear.:D

kkbe
01-04-2013, 03:09 AM
Some creepy Valentine story set in Victorian times, and Cupid's some shrimpy, pimply-faced nutcase with a giant chip on his shoulder, right next to that quiver of poison-tipped arrows?

Okay, maybe not Victorian times.

Cliff Face
01-04-2013, 03:09 AM
I might be persuaded to write a Valentine's Story...

I'd probably need more to go on than just that, though. Some sort of constraining factor, such as theme or genre or whatever.

Manuel Royal
01-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Why did you think it was written by a Brit, by the way?The title! Unless I'm misinterpreting it. If it was "custom" as in, "If this store disappoints again, I shall take my custom elsewhere!" (I've heard that phrase on BBC shows.) In the U.S. that would be "business": "I like the customer service here; that's why they get my business."

But the easy access to, and eagerness to use, a variety of firearms -- yep, that's us.

I was wondering about that, though. As I understand it, Australia has pretty strict gun control, and even sword control. I was once in a greatsword tourney (in the Society for Creative Anachronism). We fought with wooden weapons, but the prize was a lovely steel longsword. The winner was an Australian (called Sir Bruce) who graciously returned the prize to be passed on to the next year's winner, saying he didn't think he'd be able to take it back into his country. (The tourney was in Pennsylvania.)

Calliopenjo
01-04-2013, 04:02 AM
OK, Toffee thinks up the constraining factors. I'll just wait over here.

Cliff Face
01-04-2013, 04:58 AM
The title! Unless I'm misinterpreting it. If it was "custom" as in, "If this store disappoints again, I shall take my custom elsewhere!" (I've heard that phrase on BBC shows.) In the U.S. that would be "business": "I like the customer service here; that's why they get my business."

Hmm. I hadn't even considered that the title might foil my plans. :tongue It was originally going to be something along the lines of "An Unexpected Customer" but couldn't think of any titles I really loved. Besides, I didn't want to give anything away. "Custom" was in the same vein, but vague enough to not spoil anything.

But the easy access to, and eagerness to use, a variety of firearms -- yep, that's us.

I was wondering about that, though. As I understand it, Australia has pretty strict gun control, and even sword control. I was once in a greatsword tourney (in the Society for Creative Anachronism). We fought with wooden weapons, but the prize was a lovely steel longsword. The winner was an Australian (called Sir Bruce) who graciously returned the prize to be passed on to the next year's winner, saying he didn't think he'd be able to take it back into his country. (The tourney was in Pennsylvania.)

Mmm. It's hard to get weapons down here. I did once own a sword, but it was a display sword - not sharp or sturdy enough to be used against a proper sword. I was actually surprised I could buy even that without a background check.

I mean, when you get right down to it, it was a big metal stick with a handle. It probably could've caused some serious damage had I been a lunatic. (And yes, I'm sure some people would've bought them and then found a way to sharpen them.)

TypoToffee
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
I like the idea of a creepy Valentine. It's in keeping with this theme, anyhows. An anti-Valentine designed to stop rather than win your heart?

Or perhaps a Valentine for second-time around love - that often gets forgotten, or last chance love.

Whatever you guys decide, I always love a good competition - most excellent fun!

PS - Why you all talking Amrikan anyway? I mean, what's wrong with a little shepherd's pie in the eye?

Calliopenjo
01-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Yay, for Toffee.

Anyway, an anti-Valentine, Valentine story? It has possibilities I suppose. Then there's the second time around love which does have possibilities as well.

If I had to choose I'd pick the anti-Valentine, Valentine story.

Cliff Face
01-06-2013, 01:37 AM
LOL, I could do something with an anti-Valentine's story. I once wrote some song lyrics, as a challenge, in that theme, where the main character keeps getting Valentine's gifts that backfire.

Like flowers that caused pollen to get in his eye, sending him to the hospital. Or chocolate that had gone bad, forcing him to throw up. I had a lot of fun with that one. :)

MacAllister
01-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Christmas Creeper Amazon e-cards have been sent to the three winning entries. :)

So...an anti-Valentine's story?

Manuel Royal
01-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Christmas Creeper Amazon e-cards have been sent to the three winning entries. :)
Thanks, Mac!

kkbe
01-09-2013, 01:40 AM
http://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/t.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/h.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/a.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/n.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/k.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/space.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/y.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/o.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/u.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/comma.gif
http://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/m.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/a.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/c.gifhttp://www.event12.com/hieroglyphics/translator/img/excl.gif

Seraph
01-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Much appreciated, Mac!

Calliopenjo
01-09-2013, 05:18 AM
We have 2 votes for an anti-Valentine story so far. Same parameters as the others I would think. I say due by Valentine's Day but it depends on what the other's think.

TypoToffee
01-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Thank you, Mac. Sounds good to me.

kkbe
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
When shall our anti-Valentine story contest officially commence, replete with official sanctioning from Mac, AW's official Official of the First Order, who shall officially set forth official parameters, deadlines, etc., etc., in a wholly official manner?

Calliopenjo
01-12-2013, 12:59 AM
KKBE,

I'm going to give you a great big huge blanket and a teddy bear of the same size. What you do with them is up to you, but hopefully, you'll use them to take nap. Why? 'Cause I think you need one.

:sleepy:

kkbe
01-12-2013, 01:22 AM
How did you know?