Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Okay, I should probably post this over on Pagan, but it IS a research question, so I'll put it here. I've changed a couple of subplots in my latest WIP, and have decided to have the heroine's best friend be a Wiccan. She'll be 40-ish, African American and very much an earth mother sort (runs a commercial wholesale greenhouse) and VERY serious about her religion and intuition. The heroine of the book becomes a ghost hunter, using a combination of science and metaphysics to either put to rest or banish the spirits.

Now, that said -- LaShondra (the Wiccan) has very good instincts and KNOWS that Roxanne (the heroine) has an affinity with ghosts. She's tried to convince Roxanne for years to take her ability seriously. Until the book opens, she hasn't been successful. However, LaShondra also knows that bad energy is a BAD thing around Roxanne, and worries about her. So, she's taken steps (using the guise of gifted plants and dried arrangements) to give her protection charms so her house is at least one safe place for her friend.

Knowing all this, the question: What would be the most likely charms to give her that would last the longest? Would they be woven in among the dried arrangements, or bagged and placed just under the dirt of the potted plants so that they're constantly re-activated when she waters?

The goal is that the hero (who nearly has his Master's Degree in parapsychology -- one of the REAL degrees available) will notice that an orb of energy is following her, but can't get into her apartment. Naturally, it intrigues him enough to want to know more.

Also, what sort of books might LaShondra give Roxanne to read once she admits there might be something "to" the ghost business? Would she teach her anything to help her protect herself from bad energy?

Thoughts, suggestions and HELP! :D

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Cathy, a very interesting idea indeed! Please bear in mind that I am answering as a pagan and Wiccan, but because even among pagans spiritual paths tend to vary widely, mileage may vary significantly on this.

Anyway: I would say there are varying degrees of protection spells. You can protect someone from physical harm -- for example, if an ex boyfriend or a crazed serial killer is after them -- or you can protect them from spiritual/psychic distress, which seems to be more along the lines you are discussing. I love the idea of incorporating flowers and plants as gifts of protection. Herbs and plants associated with spiritual/psychic protection include rosemary, basil, lavender, ferns and mugwort. Any of these would look and smell nice when blended into a flower arrangement, although lavender is sometimes associated with allowing the user to see ghosts.

Another option might be for LaShondra to make a mojo bag for Roxanne -- a simple cloth pouch (I'd make it black to repel negative influences) containing a mixture of the above and worn around the neck would be an effective talisman. One of my favorite protection rituals is perfect for "around the house". You can use railroad ties or iron nails, and hammer them into the ground around the perimeter of the property -- this effectively "stakes our your turf" and could easily be done by LaShondra on Roxanne's behalf. If you'd like more specific information on this, just let me know.

Once Roxanne realizes that there's something to this, LaShondra might teach her about magickal shielding. It's something that's reasonably simple, and one does not have to be a witch to do it (my six year old daughter mastered it in about ten minutes last year). It's basically the creation of a psychic energy bubble that acts as a shield around the wearer. It does take some practice, but any open minded adult capable of meditation can do it.

As to books for Roxanne to read -- ghosts really aren't specifically a Wiccan thing, so she probably wouldn't have to recommend anything about Wicca per se. She might recommend books on demonology or possession, depending on if you want to even open that kettle o' fish or not, but for the most part, a simple lesson in shielding would be sufficient.

At any rate, if you'd like more info on any of this, just holla.

Deleted member 42

In folklore, salt is a defense against the dead, including ghosts.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Salt, as Medievalist said. White sage is also used for banishing and protection by many Wiccan groups, and black candles are used for protection against evil.

Perhaps the best way to go would be not to think about "longest-lasting," but "constantly renewed," since Wicca celebrates cycles more than one-time events.

ETA: I don't know how it's regarded by Wiccans today, but at one time Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-defense would have been considered the go-to source for info on said subject.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Thanks, guys! I had considered salt, but it has to be often applied to the sills and doorways and I figured that LaShondra was sort of "sneaking in" the protection charms without Roxanne's knowledge. Thanks for the book tip, Aconite! I'll see if I can track down a copy. I like the railroad ties idea, especially since LaShondra is a gardener. It would be pretty easy to convince Roxanne to let her do the landscaping. They meet every Sunday for brunch, and it would be away to have LaShondra renew the charms. But then things start heating up... ;)

Again, appreciate the assistance, and anyone else -- please chime in with suggestions. I'll use as many as I can. :Hug2:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
I had considered salt, but it has to be often applied to the sills and doorways and I figured that LaShondra was sort of "sneaking in" the protection charms without Roxanne's knowledge.
Would LaShonda offer Roxanne a scented home spray or floor wash? She could put salt in either.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Heh... I like that. I wonder if she could figure out a way to put salt or charmed herbs in some homemade version of Windex. Roxanne's a professional housekeeper. She does her windows a LOT. Very cool concept. Thanks!

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy, I'm curious as to how LaShondra got into Wicca, which has tight indo european roots. For some reason, I'd find it awkward to make her invoke gods like brighid or Cernnunos.

It would be it a lot more natural she be into Voodoo/Santeria/Ifa. It'd also be a good opportunity to dash the stale mainstream voodoo cliches. http://www.mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
No particular reason. I just don't like to play into stereotypes. I've known several Latino and African-American Wiccans. To me, it's a religion open to anyone willing to follow the Way, not a regional sect biased in gender or race. I also know several white guys heavily into Voodoo. It's a strange world we live in... ;)

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
No particular reason.

You still might want to give hints into how she stumbled acrossed it. Readers appreciate it when they have elements of a character's backstory instead of stuff just tossed in, especially when it wanders a bit off the beaten path.
wink.gif

You can also have her use crystals to help her friend at some point. Like Amethyst, [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lapis Lazuli[/font] and Rose quartz for Psychic Awareness among other things.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Ragnarok said:
You still might want to give hints into how she stumbled acrossed it. Readers appreciate it when they have elements of a character's backstory instead of stuff just tossed in, especially when it wanders a bit off the beaten path.
wink.gif

yeah, I kind of agree with this. Going against type can be cool, as long as it doesn't interfere with willing suspension of disbelief IMHO.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I should probably post this over on Pagan, but it IS a research question, so I'll put it here. I've changed a couple of subplots in my latest WIP, and have decided to have the heroine's best friend be a Wiccan. She'll be 40-ish, African American and very much an earth mother sort (runs a commercial wholesale greenhouse) and VERY serious about her religion and intuition. The heroine of the book becomes a ghost hunter, using a combination of science and metaphysics to either put to rest or banish the spirits. Is she a Vodou priestess or regular wiccan?

Now, that said -- LaShondra (the Wiccan) has very good instincts and KNOWS that Roxanne (the heroine) has an affinity with ghosts. She's tried to convince Roxanne for years to take her ability seriously. Until the book opens, she hasn't been successful. However, LaShondra also knows that bad energy is a BAD thing around Roxanne, and worries about her. So, she's taken steps (using the guise of gifted plants and dried arrangements) to give her protection charms so her house is at least one safe place for her friend.
Can she tell Roxanne about the protection, to try an educate her further? Perhaps give her a black tourmaline necklace to wear that will deflect negativity. Dried arrangements is not good feng shui. It's not good for the chi(energy). She would be better off giving her plants maybe with smoky quartz in the pot, A sage plant and teach her to harvest it and smudge her home.
Or encircling her home with salt mixed with cayenne pepper, garlic powder, rosemary. Or she could place sigils on the pots for protection such as from Runes.

Knowing all this, the question: What would be the most likely charms to give her that would last the longest? Would they be woven in among the dried arrangements, or bagged and placed just under the dirt of the potted plants so that they're constantly re-activated when she waters? Charms around her doorways and windows. The sign of a pentagram,banishing negativity on doors and windows.

The goal is that the hero (who nearly has his Master's Degree in parapsychology -- one of the REAL degrees available) will notice that an orb of energy is following her, but can't get into her apartment. Naturally, it intrigues him enough to want to know more.

Also, what sort of books might LaShondra give Roxanne to read once she admits there might be something "to" the ghost business? Would she teach her anything to help her protect herself from bad energy? Books on the chakra's, and Aura cleansing.Yes the psychic self defense book is excellent.She would teach her techniques of setting boundaries. White light encircling her, mirrors facing outward so negativity gets reflected back to the sender.She would teach her to ground herself. There's alot for Roxanne to learn.

Thoughts, suggestions and HELP!
biggrin.gif

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
ps

That's what I hope to do with my book, teach people about what Vodou really is about, healing...NOT zombies.

Good luck

If I can help, just ask!

Bay

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
The cool thing about having LaShondra using pentagrams above the doors and windows is the pentagrams don't have to be visible; she could trace them on or in the air over the doorjamb and windowsills, using her hand or a piece of clear quartz or another crystal known for protective qualities.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
She could make a guardian such as a plastic garden owl or pretty jar of some kind and fill it with colored sand, charge the sand, annoint the object for protection, and place it near all the entrances to her place. The sand would then "trap" all negativity and keep your heroine's environment safe. This spell should be renewed with the moon, but that'd be easy to do.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
Also, what sort of books might LaShondra give Roxanne to read once she admits there might be something "to" the ghost business? Would she teach her anything to help her protect herself from bad energy?

What books to recommend depends on why LaShondra is giving her them. Is it to enable her to understand and communicate with the dead, or is it to protect her from potentially harmful energy? Also, you really don't hear a lot about "ghosts" among Wiccans. That probably wouldn't be the word she used, unless she were trying to explain a concept to Roxanne and needed the handy-dandy word "ghost" to convey what she meant.

Now, keep in mind that you need to know what kind of Wiccan LaShondra is--there are a ton of different kinds (just as there are a ton of different kinds of Christians), and they can be quite different. To give you a big overview, there are four main kinds: (1) BTW (British Traditional Wicca), which includes Gardnerians, Alexandrians, and maybe a couple more groups, and are particularly widespread in Britain but also exist here; (2) what you might call spinoffs of BTW, groups that have similar structures (covens mixing men and women, worship of Lord and Lady) and were "inspired by" BTW, but have no actual connections with BTW--I think, though I'm not sure, that Phyllis Curott fits into this category; (3) Eclectic Wiccans, like for example Scott Cunningham, who were inspired by BTW but have gone rather far afield, including different pantheons and practices; and (4) Goddess-worshippers (many of whom, though far from all, describe themselves as Wiccan), who primarily or only worship the Goddess and meet in women-only covens. This is a really basic breakdown, and I'm just telling you these categories to aid in your research--this isn't the be-all and end-all by any means.

The reason "ghost" sounds odd to me in this context is that, well, that's not how we describe what you're talking about. The world of spirit is a lot more complex--it's not just "ghosts"; keep in mind that for most Wiccans, every living thing has a soul and, in addition, every species or type of thing may have its own spirit or essence too. There are spirits of the dead ("my grandmother's spirit," "the spirits of your ancestors," "the honored dead," "the beloved dead"--and keep in mind, the spirits of the dead can include the spirits of departed animals: pets you loved, etc.); there are animal spirits, for example, the spirit of the Fox, not of a specific fox that once lived on this earth, but of "Fox-ness"; tree spirits, fairies, and so on... and even a disease can have a spirit; this is why you have to be careful with healing spells you do for other people, because the spirit of the disease you're trying to heal may start bothering you. Then there are spirits, both good-intentioned and bad-intentioned, who aren't ghosts per se, because they were never alive as people on this earth, but who can intervene in human affairs. And some Wiccans believe in angels and demons, too, although it's not that clear to me what the difference is between them and the concept of good or bad spirits who were never human...

So, what exactly is it that's coming after Roxanne? Is it the spirit of a dead person who knew her, or who lived in her house a long time ago, or something like that? LaShondra would need to do something--communicate with it in some way--to understand what it was, and then the spells/charms she made, as well as the books she gave to Roxanne, would depend on what it was and why it was following Roxanne.

Hope this helps...

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Ragnarok said:
Cathy, I'm curious as to how LaShondra got into Wicca, which has tight indo european roots. For some reason, I'd find it awkward to make her invoke gods like brighid or Cernnunos. It would be it a lot more natural she be into Voodoo/Santeria/Ifa. It'd also be a good opportunity to dash the stale mainstream voodoo cliches.

I've known African-American Pagans of various stripes... Wicca, and even Asatru (Nordic paganism), are completely available as spiritual paths to people of any race. It's not a racial thing... however, it might be more likely for her to be an eclectic Wiccan or a Goddess-worshipper rather than British Traditional Wicca. Seems like it's common for African-Americans to be eclectic and include Voodoo or whatever deities in addition to Brighid et al... like, she might invoke Yemaya for one thing, Brighid for another.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
KimJo said:
The cool thing about having LaShondra using pentagrams above the doors and windows is the pentagrams don't have to be visible; she could trace them on or in the air over the doorjamb and windowsills, using her hand or a piece of clear quartz or another crystal known for protective qualities.

Good point. But keep in mind that it's a lot more usual for Wiccans to say "pentacle" than "pentagram."

Ideally, it should be clear whether she's using invoking pentacles or banishing pentacles. Is she invoking safety or a protective spirit? Or is she trying to banish the ghost (keep it from entering the doors/windows where she marks the pentacle)?

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I am a Wiccan, so email me if you need anymore information; [email protected]
Another African American Pagan religion is Hoodoo {sp}, but I don't know if that is a good angle for your story. The Barnes & Noble or Borders religion section is also a great place to find any information that you need. I would check Rune books, Nordic books, Quaballa books and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. So just email me any time you need information and I'll be glad to help.

Rhian116

I, too, am a Wiccan, and I found the best place for information when I was first starting was the internet. Just go to Yahoo or Google and type in "protection; Wicca." Thousands of different websites will pop-up. However, if you prefer someone just telling you what you want to know, here's a few hidden methods of protecting someone.

1. Arrowheads, when worn or carried, offer protection against spirits. They have to be real arrowheads, not the ones you can buy at the gas station with "Made in Mexico" stamped on it. It would make a good necklace or equivalent that your Wiccan character could give the heroine.

2. Inscribing runes in oils is effective. The protective oils tend to be similar to the herbal methods.

3. Sage smudge

4. Circle of salt around the perimeter of the house. Also, when salt is thrown at the departing back of someone the thrower cares for, it grants a protective shield. The recipient cannot know that salt has been thrown, however.

5. There are a lot of charms for warding off ghosts and spirits from many different cultures, and size doesn't really matter. These can be easily concealed.

6. Your Wiccan can cast a protective spell that is designed to protect your heroine. This isn't against the rules, so there wouldn't be any reason why she wouldn't do this.

This is just a few of the many different methods of protecting people from spirits. If you need anything else, you are always welcome to PM me.

Sunrise2Fantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Lol sage smudges stink! I remember the first holiday I celebrated with some Wiccan neighbors, we made those during the celebration, unfortunately I didn't get to stay long, so I couldn't be there for the bonfire and all the other fun things. To add to Rhian's list, guardian animals are often used as well, often it's the person's favorite animal, or one they feel most comfortable with.

Deborah B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deborahblakehps.com
Hi Cathy--
My mom is a member here and forwarded your question to me because I am both a writer and a Wiccan High Priestess (I lead a small circle of Eclectic/Green witches).
All the folks who have answered you so far have had great ideas, but nobody has brought up one important point: strictly speaking, it is against the "rules" (such as they are) of Wicca to practice any kind of magick on or for someone without their permission. This is true even for positive magick. It is considered to be interferring with free will (people have to be free to make their own mistakes, among other things--sometimes it is part of the lession the universe/gods are sending them--if you interfer, how do you know that you aren't depriving them of an important learning experience?).
This is not to say that your character couldn't/wouldn't do it--just that you should be aware of this rule. Maybe you could have her questioning her own actions, and deciding that protecting her friend makes it worth the risk?
Another option is to have her be less sneaky about it. If she gave her friend a "protection wreath" or charm bag, she could just tell her honestly what it is for, and ask her to hang it up just to humor her.
A simple protection charm I have used is to place an agate, some rosemary, basil and salt, a clove of garlic and a pin in a sqare of white cloth which is then tied up with a piece of red yarn. The charm can then be anointed with sage or rosemary essential oil. If she is going to say words over the charm, you could use something like: "I make this charm of power to guard her home from this hour."
Here are a few other traditional protection basics you might find useful:
pins and needles impale eveil, wine drowns it and rosemary sends it far from your property
smudging with sage and sprinkling a mixture of salt and water can cleanse and protect a space
a candle inscribed with the runes thurisaz, eihwaz and eolh is protective
protective herbs:rosemary, basil, mistletoe, sage
protective trees:ash,birch, elder, juniper,rowan,willow, yew
protective stone: black onyx, agate,amethyst, carnelian, tigereye--crystal quartz is especially good for spiritual protection (what about a piece of jewelry? makes a good gift...many psychics wear a ring with black onyx on their left hand for protection)
I hope some of this is helpful. Good luck with the book.
Deborah

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This has all been HUGELY useful, folks! Thanks so much for stopping over special, Deborah, just to give your thoughts! :Hug2:

Okay, here are the first two introductions of LaShondra. See if they sound realistic. Remember that this is only the introduction and Roxanne knows very little about LaShondra's beliefs at this stage (so neither should the reader). It's a little long (about 5 pages), but I've cut it down as much as possible while still giving you the full "feel":

Chapter 5

"Are you sure it won’t be any trouble?" I held the portable phone to my ear while misting the plants on the long table by the front window.

LaShondra’s voice faded in and out. No doubt she was working while we talked and holding the phone with her chin. "Don’t be silly. Of course you can borrow my car for a couple of days. I trust you, and I know how hard it is to find a cheap rental on the weekend. You’re right to wait until Monday to go searching. I’ll just use one of the company vans. Goddess knows I have plenty of deliveries to make anyway."

The mister gave out before the plants did, so I walked to the kitchen to fill it—yes, walked! After keeping ice on it for most of the night, the ankle was doing a lot better. I wouldn’t be running any races, but there wasn’t much pain. The cut was healing nicely too, under a thick layer of ointment. "So when would you have time to bring it over? I’m probably not going anywhere until then. My ankle isn’t quite up to snuff yet for distances."

"Oh, honey, there’s no way I can bring it to you! I wasn’t kidding about the deliveries, and the containers won’t fit in the back of the car. There are a dozen flower shops waiting for baby’s breath and daisies today. It’s bridal season. Can one of your brothers give you a lift over here? I can hang out until ten or so before people start to scream."

I’d already called them, but didn’t need to discuss all the excuses I’d gotten with her. I struggled not to sigh as I walked back to the plants. She can hear disappointment a mile away, and she’d wind up coming over and getting in trouble with the shops. "Let me make some calls. At the very least, I can probably take the bus over."

She gave me the reaction I expected. "Hmph. Well, you know how I feel about the bus route over here. But it’s daylight and you’re a big girl. Just be careful. And don’t forget to water the plants. You know I’ll check at brunch tomorrow!"

I laughed and pulled the trigger again. "Misting as we speak. I wouldn’t want them to tell tales. I know how catty the fern can be."

"Honey, all the plants I give you have nothing but love for you. If you’d just start to listen to them, they’d tell you themselves." LaShondra chuckled, and the image of her bright smile, a brilliant white against her dark skin, popped to mind. She paused for a moment. "You’ll have to tell me what happened to your ankle when you get here. It takes a lot to put you down."

Damn. Forgot I mentioned that, but she always does that—replays our conversation in her head before we hang up. "We’ll see."

Another pause, followed by her patented spooky, you-can’t-hide-anything-from-me, voice. "Mm-hmm. Like that, is it? Well, looking forward to seeing you soon, honey."

"Do you want to come inside and look around? The daisies and azaleas should be in full bloom and the mums will be getting ready to disbud. It’s really pretty."

Vince pursed his lips and tilted his head, considering. "Sure. Why not? I’ll let you out here and go park. Is that your friend loading the van? I’ll meet you over there."

"Yeah, that’s LaShondra. She owns the place. I’m always amazed by how much she does by herself around here. She hires some seasonal temp people, but most of what you see is just her." He nodded, impressed.

I got out of the LandCruiser and walked toward the van, watching where I stepped. I definitely had to be careful of the ruts with my ankle. LaShondra was just pushing open the office door with her foot when I reached her. I held the door while she came out, carrying two tall white buckets filled with sprays of double baby’s breath. As usual, she wore airy slacks and a long patterned tunic—always made from natural fibers and in earth tones. Today’s selection was done in browns and greens that made her skin look even darker. The pattern of rune symbols probably had some meaning in her Wiccan religion, but I didn’t know what. We didn’t talk about our religions much . . . or politics. It’s how we stay friends.

"Hey, girl!" She grinned and gratefully handed over one of the buckets when I reached for it. "Glad you found a ride over. You just caught me." She nestled the first bucket into one of the custom made metal racks in the back of the van and I handed her the second. Even if she has to hit the brakes hard or swerve, nothing in back will tip over or drench the carpet.

She stepped back and poked her head around the van door. Vince was just getting out of the SUV. Before he turned around and saw her, she ducked back behind the door and bumped my arm with her elbow. "Ooo! Not only a ride over, but he looks worthy of riding later, too! My, my! Where’d you find him?" She kept her voice low, but I swatted her anyway and let out an exasperated noise before replying quietly.

"It’s not like that! He’s just a nice guy who gave me a ride home last night after Baby got crunched. He noticed me waiting for the bus and offered me a lift."

Footsteps neared. I gave her a warning look and she put on a face of pure innocence that hopefully he wouldn’t see through.

"You back here, Roxanne?" I opened my mouth to reply to his question when I noticed the oddest look on LaShondra’s face—as though she recognized his voice.

Once more she moved out from behind the van door and I followed. Her jaw dropped. "Mr. Slater?" She gave the words an important sound, as though he was someone of authority.

His face showed no hint of recognition— only confusion. He smiled politely and stepped closer to me with a shrug. "Yes, that’s me. I’m sorry, but do I know you from somewhere?"

She let out a bright laugh. "Well, of course! I mean . . . well, I don’t know if you recognize me or not. But I certainly know you. You were the TA in my World Religions course. I still remember the lecture you gave on the higher consciousness of shamanistic meditation." She pointed from me to him and back again. "You two know each other?"

Now the odd look was on Vince’s face. He reached in his pocket and extracted his keys. "Yeah . . . small world, huh? Hey, Roxanne, . . . y’know, I should probably go ahead and get to the laundromat. I’ve got a pretty busy schedule today."

I furrowed my brow. He didn’t seem angry or anything, but a lot of the fun and teasing had left his face and body language. "But I thought you wanted to look around—"

He reached out and touched my shoulder and winked. "Next time, okay? I’m sure you’ve got a bunch to do too. Give me a call soon, huh?"

LaShondra and I glanced at each other as he returned to his vehicle, got in and backed out. She looked worried and bit her lip nervously. "I’m sorry, Roxanne. Did I tick him off or something? I mean, I know I shouldn’t have gushed so much, but he really was my favorite TA in the whole college."

I shrugged helplessly, because I didn’t have a clue. "I honestly don’t know. I don’t even know what a TA is."

"It’s a teacher’s assistant— a graduate student who helps out the professor. Usually, the students who become TA’s are planning on becoming professors themselves after they finish their master’s degree."

My turn for the dropped jaw. "Vince has a master’s degree? In what?"

"Well, he was part of the holistic studies program. There were only a couple of degrees he could have gotten, but I don’t know which one it was. I think I remember some of my classmates saying he was a parapsychology major. It’s what all of his lectures were about. Where did you meet him, anyway?"

I shook my head, trying to clear it enough to wrap my head around everything. "Um, he’s the assistant night manager at WalMart. He’s the one who tackled me when the truck was about to squish my legs against Baby’s bumper. What’s parapsychology?"

Carrying on two conversations at the same time was confusing, but enlightening. She shrugged and sat down heavily on the edge of the van bed, looking bummed. I joined her. "Psychic phenomenon, higher consciousness, spirits—that sort of thing. Wait. You’re telling me that Vincent Slater works at . . . WalMart? With his background? Girl, that’s just . . . sick and wrong! That boy needs to talk to someone about that choice!"

I took a deep breath and let it out slow. "Well, apparently, he doesn’t want to talk about it or he’d still be here." A little series of head shakes cleared my brain. "Oh well. I didn’t really have any plans to start anything up with him, so I guess it really doesn’t matter much if we did piss him off. Still, that damned curiosity of mine—"

She chuckled and slapped her palms down on her ample thighs. "Yep, you’re like a dog with an old bone. No doubt about it. If there’s a truth to be sniffed out, you’ll find it. But let’s get a look at you, now that I’m not distracted."

I stood and held out my arms, like being sized for a dress, and turned in a slow circle. LaShondra firmly believes that she can see auras. I decided long ago that it’s hard to prove a negative, and harder still to prove an invisible positive. It doesn’t do any harm to humor her, and she’s actually pretty good with intuition and giving advice. I just don’t know where I stand on the whole new age stuff she does— crystals, scented oils and herbs, wards and charms.

When I finished turning and gave her my best smile, I was surprised by the look of . . . horror on her face. Her mouth opened twice without words, and she leaned against the door pillar for support. When she finally spoke, her voice cracked. "D . . . do that again. Turn around that same way."

I did as she asked, but an icy chill was crawling up my spine from the tiny sounds she was making in the back of her throat. This time, my face probably looked as concerned as I felt when I finished and stood waiting for her response.

Instead of answering, she reached behind her neck and unhooked the clasp of a necklace that was hidden under her tunic. She drew it out, stood and walked the few steps to me. Before I could do anything, she reached forward and hooked the necklace around my neck. "Roxanne honey, you need this more than I do—‘cause girl, you are in a world of trouble!"

Chapter 6
The warm weight of the necklace made me pick it up and drop my eyes enough to see it. It wasn’t difficult, because the multi-color stones surrounded by hammered silver covered most of my chest. Every color of the rainbow glinted in the sunlight—crystal and rose quartz, black tourmaline, tiger eye, amethyst, lapis lazuli, peridot. It was stunning and I knew it was her favorite, because she almost always wore it.

I fingered the necklace, and worry flowed through my voice. "What do you mean, I’m in trouble, and why are you giving me your necklace?"

She shook her head sadly. "Trust me, I don’t want to give it to you. But I wouldn’t be much of a friend if I didn’t give you something to protect yourself from whatever’s attacking you, and I don’t have time to make you up a mojo bag today. Girl, you got rips in your aura big enough for my cat to climb through. I don’t know what sort of stuff you’re involved in, but something’s definitely trying to hurt you."

My ankle took that moment to remind me it was there and it all came rushing back—the axe, the car, the creeping chill that seemed to be following me around. I shook my head and tucked the necklace inside my pale yellow polo shirt. Whether or not I believed in it, I’m a big fan of any port in a storm. "It would take too long to explain today, but we’ll definitely talk tomorrow at brunch. What all is this necklace supposed to do?"

"Most of those stones are to prevent psychic attacks. Amethyst for clarity, black tourmaline to dispel negativity, quartz for protection. All the stuff you need right now. And you’re damned straight that we’ll be talking tomorrow. I’ll be renewing all the wards at your entrances and probably be putting some new runes on the planters."

My brow furrowed and my voice had a hint of accusation when I crossed my arms over my chest. "Whoa! You’ve been casting spells in my house? I thought we agreed—no religion and no politics at brunch. I think ritualistic magic is a little outside the spirit of the agreement. And isn’t against the rules for your own beliefs?"

She held her head high and regarded me quietly. "Yes, it is. We honor free will and try very hard not to impose our will on others. But the spirit of the agreement is the problem, Roxanne. I told you when we met that you have an affinity with the spirit world. Whether or not you choose to admit it, they can sense you, just like you can sense them. Since you’ve stated that you don’t believe in my religion, I gave you gifts that didn’t express my religion, but still protected you from that which seeks you. Whatever’s following you right now is bad-bad. It can hurt you. You’re being psychically attacked. From the damage to your aura, there’s even a remote chance that the negative energy can harm you physically."

I couldn’t believe I was even asking, yet out popped the words. "Could negative energy throw an axe?"

Her eyebrows raised in surprise. "You mean like an axe axe? The kind to cut wood? Pick it up and throw it at you? No, that’s not the sort of injury I was talking about. I meant—"

My words were quiet, but I stared at her hard, willing her to believe me. "That’s what hurt my ankle last night . . . at the hotel. An axe came off the wall and spun down the hallway. I had to use an iron shield to protect myself, but the blade nicked my ankle." I twisted my leg and raised my pant cuff to show her the red gash slathered with goop.

She let out a slow breath and stood. "Boy, you’ve got me there. That sounds more like something up your brother’s alley than mine. Special effects stuff. I can’t think of any sort of energy, other than a poltergeist, that can throw things."

"I know. I’ve already called Jeremy. That’s one of the reasons I need the car today. I have to go back to the hotel and find out some stuff so he can figure out how it was done."

She backed up and slammed the doors on the van and then leaned her ample bulk against them. "It’s not the full moon yet, but I can make you up some charms to protect you physically. In the meantime, you really need to investigate this . . . and I don’t just mean look for special effects. Do that too, but—" She reached out, took one of my hands and squeezed. "Really, Roxanne, you need to finally accept and start to explore your abilities. You’re my best friend in the world and I don’t just say this to sound all woo-woo on you. You have a gift. But without training, it’s as much a curse. Something can see you through the veils of reality. If it can see you, what’s to say that it can’t touch you?"

I fought down a shiver, not very successfully because trails of goosebumps appeared on my arms. "So, let’s say I agree there might be something to this—you’d train me?"

LaShondra laughed. "Me? No, honey. I’m just a lesser witch who can do a few fancy charms. What you can do is way out of my league. Buuut—" A slow smile came to her face and she pointed toward the parking space that Vince had just vacated. "I do know someone who can teach you. He just drove out of here in a hurry. You might have to do some convincing, though, since it didn’t seem like was all that interested in talking about his specialty."

So, wha'cha think? Not asking for edits, as before. Just impressions. Am I heading in the right direction? Naturally, lots more detail later. This is just the first taste of her. Thanks! :)

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
I love it!!!!!!! I think you nailed it.

Yes 'technically' spells aren't done without permission and also the rule to keep silent about magical workings is important. For the sake of fiction there is wiggle room, IMHO.
Personally if someone is in need of healing energy I will send it, if they need protection, if I can get their permission I will, but if you're doing good,'with harm to none', you can wiggle;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.