PDA

View Full Version : Discussion, Reveals, Etc.

MacAllister
11-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Archerjoe or anyone else could have started this thread -- but I didn't wanna put anyone on the spot, so here ya go!

Bufty
11-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure what to discuss so I'll just own up to having written #12 The Summons and express my thanks to whoever voted for me. (I voted for myself so I know I received one vote! :D)

Thanks, too, to Mac and all involved in arranging everything.

I'm delighted to have made the top 20 :snoopy:

Fascinating to see the diversity of styles and the varied approach. Interesting to see if one can guess who submitted what. I think I may have got several right.

I guess different folk looked for different things when voting.

I found it hard to pick my three and ended up finding reasons for stopping reading and/or discarding submissions to leave me with my three, but each no doubt approached the elimination process differently.

VeronicaX
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I had a really hard time voting and I ended up changing my votes several times as I typed up the PM to Mac, lol. It was very difficult. I also didn't know if we could vote for ourselves so I am not sure if my story even got any votes. :p

MacAllister
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
VeronicaX, every story got votes, as it happens. :)

archerjoe
11-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Archerjoe or anyone else could have started this thread -- but I didn't wanna put anyone on the spot, so here ya go!

Thanks, Mac!

I'll fess up to writing #7, "Plan B".

I, too, changed my votes a couple of times before sending the PM. Lots of great stories here.

Great job, Manuel Royal. Loved, loved, loved the winning story! What a nickname. Comparing to my story, I was jealous of the bantering between your characters.

VeronicaX
11-30-2012, 10:44 PM
VeronicaX, every story got votes, as it happens. :)

Excellent :) They were all great--each having their own strength.

Sydneyd
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
I hope more people come up to claim their stories, I am so curious about all of them!

lastlittlebird
11-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Mine was So Lonely. I don't think I hit the spot I was aiming for with it, but I had fun in the attempt.
It was very difficult figuring out who to vote for. I can understand why it was a close contest, all right.
It's nice to know every story got votes... we were all in the top three for someone :)

VeronicaX
12-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Okay, I'll come forth. I'm the one behind The Riddle of the Heart.

I decided to pitch in only hours before deadline and I hurried to try to edit the few remaining things that I knew needed to be done. A friend had previously told me I definitely needed a new title, but I was blank. Still am, lol.

It was fun participating! :)

Calliopenjo
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
OK, I'll chime in.

Mine was An Argument of Truth. After I subbed it, I started to wonder if I hit the mark or not. I read the other stories and still wondered. Everybody made a solid effort and that's what counts.

I'm curious if there's going to be another contest and what it's going to be.

MacAllister
12-01-2012, 01:35 AM
OK, I'll chime in.

Mine was An Argument of Truth. After I subbed it, I started to wonder if I hit the mark or not. I read the other stories and still wondered. Everybody made a solid effort and that's what counts.

I'm curious if there's going to be another contest and what it's going to be.

We could do a Christmas contest, if we started right away? You guys interested? I'll have to go hustle up some prizes, so they'd be TBA, in the meantime.

I've also got a PM in my inbox that I've still got to answer about the possibility of a Horror anthology (it'd be a 4theLuv project, most likely) but that's still pretty vague and nebulous.

I'd like to see this room stay in continuous use, though, so feel free to propose stuff and brainstorm ideas or make challenges. :)

KitCat
12-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm in :D

P.S. Mine was "Reunions" everyone's were really great reads, good job all

AbielleRose
12-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Those would both be awesome projects for us to do! I LOVE the idea of a Horror anthology. The dungeons of the Horror Hounds are full of stories that would make Cthulhu proud. :D

Maniacal laugh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MlHxAzLXA)

Have you thought anymore about a magazine or annual of sorts?

VeronicaX
12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
We could do a Christmas contest, if we started right away? You guys interested? I'll have to go hustle up some prizes, so they'd be TBA, in the meantime.

I've also got a PM in my inbox that I've still got to answer about the possibility of a Horror anthology (it'd be a 4theLuv project, most likely) but that's still pretty vague and nebulous.

I'd like to see this room stay in continuous use, though, so feel free to propose stuff and brainstorm ideas or make challenges. :)

Count me in! :D

Sydneyd
12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Mark me in the sounds like a great idea category!

Calliopenjo
12-01-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm in. I could probably come up with something for the Xmas contest.

Z-Word entities excluded of course.

archerjoe
12-01-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm in for either one or maybe both.

kkbe
12-01-2012, 04:29 AM
Sounds enticing. . .

victoriakmartin
12-01-2012, 04:36 AM
I wrote "Whisper" :)

I don't know if I would have time to do anything for Christmas, unless I was able to take a story I've already worked on and submit it but that would depend on exact rules/themes/etc ...

GrowsOnTrees
12-01-2012, 05:01 AM
I can confess to #13 - Gerald Goosemore.

It was good to feel challenged and it would be great to do it again.

Manuel Royal
12-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Something for Christmas would be a stimulating challenge. (Just three weeks from Tuesday!)

I don't think I've ever done a real horror story. First time for everything (as the executioner said).

Calliopenjo
12-01-2012, 06:28 AM
As for a topic, we could do the anti-Xmas Xmas story. Not so much The Christmas Carrol but maybe someone who has a grudge against Xmas. Or something.

Any ideas?

AbielleRose
12-01-2012, 07:58 AM
How about a hybrid? A Merry Krampus Christmas. :D

quicklime
12-01-2012, 09:52 AM
I'd be down for a Christmas contest, perhaps....

The story I wrote I mentioned here before, because it was one of the ones that made me feel I was truly making it--on the first reading, my wife did not tell me it was "good" or that she liked it. She set it down, looked at me for an uncomfortably long moment, and said "What the fuck do you really DO at conferences?"

I felt bad, but knowing it hit that gut-level also validated me in ways "ZOMG, it was teh Awesum!!!" never could have.

Fallen
12-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Ooooh. Christmas Creepers. I'd certainly be up for reading.

Calliopenjo
12-02-2012, 02:58 AM
It's a Christmas Creepers theme then? I'm pushing because the sooner we decide, the sooner we can start planning our next submission.

All those in favor say Aye.

Deepthought
12-02-2012, 04:22 AM
I wrote the poem. I like Roald Dahl's style, and I added a bit of Calvin and Hobbes there, the way a child sees the world.
As for other contests, there doesn't need to be a prize (it's an incentive for sure) I just do it to share my work, it's great fun, and I love to compete!

captain_ryan
12-04-2012, 01:53 AM
I wrote #1, Breath in the Air. I think I might submit it to SYW and get some feedback.

By the way, I'm always up for another challenge.

archerjoe
12-04-2012, 04:21 AM
I wrote #1, Breath in the Air. I think I might submit it to SYW and get some feedback.

By the way, I'm always up for another challenge.

I liked it. The punch towards the end came out of the blue.

Manuel Royal
12-04-2012, 04:49 AM

By the way, I'm always up for another challenge.That got a vote from me. 100% dialogue; not a lot of words, but many possible implications. Got under my skin somehow.

It'd make a good short radio piece. I'd turn off the lights and listen in the dark.

captain_ryan
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I liked it. The punch towards the end came out of the blue.

That got a vote from me. 100% dialogue; not a lot of words, but many possible implications. Got under my skin somehow.

It'd make a good short radio piece. I'd turn off the lights and listen in the dark.

Thank you both. I really appreciate the kind words for the piece. I'm glad it had an impact.

victoriakmartin
12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I think I might submit it to SYW and get some feedback.

I'll probably be doing the same, though I want to give it a once over before I do that, to make it more my general style and less dialogue-heavy, which was an interesting challenge but not my personal preference when all is said and done.