PDA

View Full Version : Criminal presidential/political siblings

melindamusil
11-30-2012, 07:01 AM
What are the names of any siblings of presidents or other major politicians (senators, representatives, etc.) who committed major crimes, specifically violent crimes?

I found this article on mental floss that names 6 criminal presidential siblings, but they were basically all in the realm of financial/white-collar crimes (i.e. taking advantage of their president-brother's position to get money), DUI, and soliciting a prostitute.

I'm particularly interested in violent crimes, but I haven't (yet) found any relatives of politicians who have been accused/convicted of that.

absitinvidia
11-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Isn't Whitey Bulger's brother a well-known politician?

melindamusil
11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
How did I not find that one? Thanks, absitinvidia!!

Mac H.
12-01-2012, 06:37 AM
Why limit yourself to siblings? There are plenty of examples where the president (or equivalent) had committed violent crimes too.

eg:
Mandela (terrorism - his organisation did the bombing in Pretoria that killed 19 people and injured 217. He personally sent the letters threatening many of the bombings.)

US President Andrew Jackson - He used to bash people he didn't like ... along with mass ethnic cleansing. Many of his era were in favour of total extermination of 'the savages'.

John F. Kennedy - His brother killed someone in a car accident - he fled the scene and didn't report it to authorities for 9 hours. He did, however, chat to a winner of a sailing race, complain about a noisy party etc ... just didn't bother reporting that he'd killed someone. It was only after he was aware that police had found the car & body that he reported to the police. Nope - that didn't happen either. He instead dictated a statement to his aide, so the aide could give it to the police. A police diver later testified that she probably survived in an air-bubble for hours before suffocating to death. If he (or any of his cronies) had gone for help she probably would have survived. She didn't have an autopsy so we'll never know.

Xelebes
12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
JFK's cousin or something was also convicted of murder - Michael Skakel. The story goes that Michael Skakel killed a girl at age 13 or something and the Kennedy family hid him at the infamous Elan Institute, a drug re-hab notorious for the abuse within its walls. Skakel eventually confessed the murder within Elan and after he turned 18, bounced around other drug rehabs and so forth. It wasn't until 2000 when he was finally arrested and convicted in 2001.

melindamusil
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Why limit yourself to siblings? There are plenty of examples where the president (or equivalent) had committed violent crimes too.

JFK's cousin or something was also convicted of murder - Michael Skakel.

I'm struggling with, is it even possible for an individual to be elected to office if he has a family member with a criminal record, and if so, how? Nowadays, if you're running for office the media pulls so many skeletons out of the closet. How would the elected individual deal with their criminal sibling/relative, and how much would the rest of the nation know about the criminal relative?

(In my story, it will eventually come out that the politician is also corrupt. But before his connections with the criminal underworld are revealed, how would he hide or explain away his criminal relative?)

King Neptune
12-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm struggling with, is it even possible for an individual to be elected to office if he has a family member with a criminal record, and if so, how? Nowadays, if you're running for office the media pulls so many skeletons out of the closet. How would the elected individual deal with their criminal sibling/relative, and how much would the rest of the nation know about the criminal relative?

W's background was known, but he somehow got elected anyway (or did he?). Some half-brother of Clinton was a convicted criminal. Obama was known to have consorted with known criminals, and there were very credible allegations that he had used drugs, but that helped get him elected.
The president would mostly ignore the allegations and hope tat no one made a big issue of it. And, if thAt didn't work, then they would let the criminal relative make something of it the way that Billy Carter did (although Billy was a real criminal).

(In my story, it will eventually come out that the politician is also corrupt. But before his connections with the criminal underworld are revealed, how would he hide or explain away his criminal relative?)

It would depend on the relative and the crime. He wouldn't be responsible for the relative, so he could just say, "Ask X's lawyer."

jclarkdawe
12-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Take a look at the 2012 race for the senate of John F. Tierney - Wikipedia (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJohn_F. _Tierney&ei=eGa6UPT4BKLL0AH1kYHYDA&usg=AFQjCNEJ1eYY6tIPgM-QFKnk_E3UUmrDQw). Short version is his brother-in-law was convicted of gambling crimes and said Tierney was in on it. Major discussions during the campaign about the issue. You should be able to find a lot of newspaper articles on the subject.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

frimble3
12-02-2012, 01:19 AM

Well, the Chappaquiddick incident, (that would be the car accident: car went over a bridge into the water, Ted Kennedy got out, his passenger didn't) and the Skakel murder both happened after JFK's death, so they didn't affect his presidency. I imagine the lingering talk about Chappaquiddick played a large part in Ted Kennedy not running for President. As you say, it would have come up.

I imagine a politician's best bet would be to come clean, admit everything he knows about his criminal relative, shake his head sadly and play it as a combination of "Every family has a black sheep, and he's our cross to bear" and "We tried to help him every way we could, but sometimes nothing works".

The general impression should be that because of this loser the candidate has empathy for people dealing with unhappy situations, and that he has something in common with the voters, who may also have embarrassing family members.

Then, either lock the relative up in some sort of private facility with high walls and large staff members who understand that the relative is not to get out, access the phone, or have unscreened visitors.
Or, depending on the nature of the crime, temperament of the candidate, and necessity for ending the embarrassment, an 'unfortunate accident' takes the relative out of the picture permanently.

It would really depend on the nature of the crime: a little weed, a few hookers, some DUIs could be written off as 'just an embarrassing idiot'. Serious drug dealing, violent crime, or large-scale white-collar crime or fraud (esp. against 'the public') are harder to hand-wave and head-shake away.

absitinvidia
12-02-2012, 01:14 PM
You might read up on Marion Barry, former DC mayor.

Best t-shirt ever: Marion Barry--A Mayor with Convictions

melindamusil
12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
You might read up on Marion Barry, former DC mayor.

Best t-shirt ever: Marion Barry--A Mayor with Convictions

ROFL!!!!

benbradley
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
What are the names of any siblings of presidents or other major politicians (senators, representatives, etc.) who committed major crimes, specifically violent crimes?

I found this article on mental floss that names 6 criminal presidential siblings, but they were basically all in the realm of financial/white-collar crimes (i.e. taking advantage of their president-brother's position to get money), DUI, and soliciting a prostitute.

I'm particularly interested in violent crimes, but I haven't (yet) found any relatives of politicians who have been accused/convicted of that.
You've surely come across the fact that Bill Clinton's brother (don't know his name offhand) is (or more specifically, was when Clinton was in office) a recovering drug addict, and that Jimmy Carter's brother Billy was a bit of a drinker, even having his own "Billy Beer." According to Wikipedia, Billy died in 1988, but has no mention of illegal activity. Clinton's brother looks more interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Clinton,_Jr.

During the campaign and subsequent administration of his half-brother President Bill Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton), Roger was given the codename "Headache" by the Secret Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secret_Service) due to his knack for landing in trouble.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Clinton,_Jr.#cite_note-4) In 2001, Roger was pardoned by President Clinton for a 1985 conviction related to cocaine for which he had served a year in jail. The pardon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon) removed his criminal conviction from records.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Clinton,_Jr.#cite_note-5)
I guess it's nice to have a relative in high office (no pun intended).

You should include the original link, I see the article covers these two characters:
http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/21323.html

Buffysquirrel
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I thought Obama had a half-brother who was a convicted criminal.