I'm ditching Word Press

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Good thing there isn't that much there. I'm already fed up with it. Every little update or plugin I have to go reset files and there are a gazillion of them ... that's too much work for a simple personal site.

Any suggestions out there?

Richard, have you looked at b2Evolution? If so, is it stable? At least, more stable than word press?

Deleted member 42

It's not WP that's the problem; it's the plug ins. There are a number that are really not acceptable quality. The release version of WP is actually pretty good.

You're always running a risk using a plug in--you know nothing about the skill of the programmer, and there's generally very little real QA.

I'm still using MovableType, and like it quite a bit. It's free for personal sites. I was also impressed with TypePad, which you can redirect to your own domain.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I've installed wordpress on a couple of sites and recommended it to many more. It's always proved to be stable and bulletproof. It sounds like your installation/plug-ins.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
As others have commented before me, WP out of the box is pretty stable. I work for a hosting company and one of the managers swears at (not by :p) WP all the time and I tell him it's the plugins as well. I don't think he believes me :) I'd say give the vanilla install of WP another chance and see if you still have issues using it. If there are no problems, then add a plugin at a time and use the system with each plugin for a couple of days ... that way you'll be able to identify what really causes issues. I use only a few minimal plugins and have had no issues at all so far.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Moondancer said:
Good thing there isn't that much there. I'm already fed up with it. Every little update or plugin I have to go reset files and there are a gazillion of them ... that's too much work for a simple personal site.

You do? The standard plugins shouldn't be causing you that problem - drop in directory, hit Activate - and upgrading's going to be pretty fiddly whatever CMS you use (zapping the old files, while keeping settings and the ones you've changed). I'd suggest doing as above - switch them off, and back on one at a time and seeing if one of them's causing the problem.

Richard, have you looked at b2Evolution?

Not personally. I'd try EE Core for a personal blog if you don't want to use WordPress - www.pmachine.com.

Last edited:

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Moondancer said:
have you looked at b2Evolution? If so, is it stable? At least, more stable than word press?

Oh yeah, I believe WP evolved from b2evo :p

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
My brevity rather than my usual long windedness seems to have caused some miscommunication. Thank you for your replies.

I simply wanted to know if there are blog tools out there less time consuming to maintain and tweak... as in not have to reset files every time I add something. It's a personal site and shouldn't require hours keeping it functional let alone try to develop into what I had planned for the site.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't get what you mean by 'reset files'. What are you trying to add? With WordPress, adding something should be as easy as opening up the template file and adding the new tag wherever you want it.

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Here's a for instance... I installed Spam Karma... after I installed and activated it, files were set back to safe mode... I had to chmod the files again before I could add anything else which in turn resets the files back to safe mode... chmod again... update the version... reset files to safe mode... have to chmod again... too time consuming. It will take many many months to add what I want at this rate and given my time constraints.

I know there are good reasons for this but it's more than I need for a personal site that I can't spend but an hour or less per day developing. I use up my time adding one thing and chmodding files to enable adding something else or being able to edit templates or whatever and I'm out of time so nothing really moves forward.

I've worked with other cms and php tools ... but I'm not a guru... I've never seen one this anal about permissions. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, it's more than I have time to deal with.

Not being a php or Word Press guru, I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
That's really weird - sounds more like a server glitch though. As far as I'm aware, WordPress shouldn't even have the rights to play with permissions at any point, never mind do it for you - you have to CHMOD everything back and forth yourself (and even then ,we're just talking 666 on files it needs to write to, 777 for directories). Which FTP program are you using, and do the file permissions remain the same after you reconnect with it?

Last edited:

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Ummm... no, I don't think so. According to a few things here and there in the codex on the Word Press site, it's doing what it's supposed to do... it just takes more time to get anything done than I have time to put into it.

If I had more time to put into it, I woudn't have a problem with it. In all other respects, it's extremely user friendly. I'd recommend it to anybody who needs that kind of powerful functionality. I don't have a lot of time to put into it. I bought the domain name because I couldn't have cordray.com, ... I can't stand seeing a domain name used up that isn't even a site (personal quirk) so I thought I'd put up something simple and quick to work with.

I thought that's what a blog (having never worked with a blog before) would do but apparently that's not what a blog does... or at least Word Press doesn't. It's just more than I need for the purpose to which I am putting it.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
WordPress has always worked fine for me, and I've used Spam Karma on a couple of websites. I just changed the file permissions when installing it, and that was the end of it. It's certainly not meant to be doing this. Try EECore though. Nice tool.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Moondancer, what you're describing doesn't sound like a WordPress problem. I have WordPress installed on a couple of sites and have never had to run chmod for anything, and I've added a lot of pages independent of the blog. Like Richard says, it sounds like much more of a server problem than anything else.

Before you switch to another program, I'd be inclined to contact your domain hosting company's tech support and explain the problem to them. See what they can do.

Deleted member 42

I've never, ever had to do that with WordPress.

If it's more than you need, what about using Blogger and pointing to your own domain, instead of using Blogspot? I do that with one blog. It's very plain in terms of features--no categories, for instance--but it's dead easy to modify the templates, and it does support comments.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I just installed Spam Karma on a fresh WP2.0 installation. Absolutely no problem at all - just plop it into the directory and activate it, no CHMODDing required anywhere.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Yep, my experience has been the same. I updated Spam Karma a few weeks ago and simply had to overwrite the old files. That's it ... I'm a bit curious though about something you said Moondancer. You said when you CHMOD stuff it goes back to "safe mode" what exactly did you mean? As far as I know, PHP safe mode is turned on from a php.ini file setting, not by CHMODding a file ...