PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you won the lottery?

DeleyanLee
11-28-2012, 08:14 PM
The Powerball (US) is up to at least $500,000,000 tonight.

What would you do with the money (post tax, of course) if you won?

IAMWRITER
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Geez, the lottery is never that high in the UK.

But if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy a mansion, donate to the local hospice and invest in my local football team. I don't think I'd go out and buy things just for the sake of it. Just let the money sit in the bank and see how much I could get from the interest.

neilfriske
11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
buy a house, buy my parents a house, buy my brother a house. Write.

LAgrunion
11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm bummed that I can't play the Powerball cuz I live in California.

But if I won, I'd pretty much live the same lifestyle I have now, which is a fairly modest one. I'd probably buy a single family house in a quieter neighborhood and eat out more often. Oh yeah, and buy more books.

KTC
11-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Go to school.

I'm a high school drop out and I'd love to go to university. (-;

shadowwalker
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Pay off all my bills, all my son's bills, all my brother's bills. Buy a camper. Set aside enough to live on for 30 years (doubt I'll live much past that :tongue but I live cheap, too!). Finance the writer's retreat. Buy a huge piece of land for a no-kill animal shelter. Give the rest away - and fast!

benbradley
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd buy a few expensive guitars, maybe even that one Dweezil had up on ebay (mojo!). I'd buy a few expensive pianos.

I'm bummed that I can't play the Powerball cuz I live in California.

But if I won, I'd pretty much live the same lifestyle I have now, which is a fairly modest one. I'd probably buy a single family house in a quieter neighborhood and eat out more often.

You could have someone buy a ticket for you and mail it to you. I'd think that's legal.

Oh yeah, and buy more books.
Better buy a bigger house than you think you'll need. :)

Not being rich hasn't stopped me from buying excessive quantities of books.

Go to school.

I'm a high school drop out and I'd love to go to university. (-;
I'd send KTC to school!

Pay off all my bills, all my son's bills, all my brother's bills. Buy a camper. Set aside enough to live on for 30 years (doubt I'll live much past that :tongue but I live cheap, too!).
You know that would mean limiting your spending to ten million dollars a year, don't you? :D

Alpha Echo
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Pay off our houses and remaining debt, invest enough to take care of DD, pay off our parents and siblings' debts and make sure they're taken care of, build our house in Belize and retire, invest the rest.

Haggis
11-28-2012, 10:18 PM
The Powerball (US) is up to at least $500,000,000 tonight.

What would you do with the money (post tax, of course) if you won?
I'd buy cray a new avatar.

Mr Flibble
11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Set up trust fund for both kids

Make sure parents, brother and in laws are okay for money

My hubby could give up work and train as a blacksmith like he's always wanted

Boy house with a library with one of those stairs on wheels that goes round the shelves. :D Would also have to have room for hubby's forge and some horses.

I've got a few pet charities that would get a big donation. Buy some land for an animal rescue place/environmental safe haven

Put rest in bank and live off interest. Surplus to go to charity each year.

cray
11-29-2012, 01:15 AM
I'd buy cray a new avatar.

puuuleeeeassse.

Mr Flibble
11-29-2012, 01:27 AM
I've just thought of something else

A ball gag for Quickwit. Though he might enjoy that....

Haggis
11-29-2012, 01:29 AM
I've just thought of something else

A ball gag for Quickwit. Though he might enjoy that....
:snoopy:

jjdebenedictis
11-29-2012, 01:54 AM
(1) Spread a bunch of it around to my and my husband's family. I wouldn't give anyone enough to encourage them to go nuts, but I'd make sure everyone's got a nice nest egg. The idea would be that everyone has to keep working, but they don't have to save, because they've already got a retirement fund growing nicely on the principle I seeded them with.

(2) El Husbando used to say he wanted to retire at 40 and move to Hawaii. We've missed the deadline, but I don't think he'd mind, so long as he got to do it. :)

(3) We like to travel. We don't want a mansion or stupid cars; we'd like to see all the amazing places in the world. That's where I'd blow big chunks of change willy-nilly.

(4) I have a pie-in-the-sky idea for a research and development company. I could sink a few million into it and play--without ever needing to worry about turning a profit.

Edited to add:

(5) And I always thought it'd be neat, if I were stupid-rich, to total up how much money my family spent in a year and then donate that same amount to charity. It would help assuage the guilt of whatever opulence I decided to indulge in.

As for writing, I do that now, so I'd still be doing it. I think it's an equally interesting question: If you won the lottery, what would you NOT change about your life?

firedrake
11-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Pay our bills, help my family out, give a load to charity. Buy a house with plenty of land and set up a place for rehabilitating retired racehorses.

Cliff Face
11-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Share it with family. I'd still keep the bulk of it myself, but give each of them enough to buy a nice house, car and go on holidays every year.

So for myself, I'd probably travel around for a few years, seeing all the places I might consider living. Then when I've made up my mind, buy a house in my favourite city. Apart from that... Pay off student debts (and finish studying if I hadn't done so already by the time I won Powerball) and buy loads of CDs/DVDs/books for my own private entertainment.

Spend a lot of time reading and writing, watching DVDs and listening to CDs and playing music.

Hell, if it's that much money for Powerball, start my own publishing house and record label and pimp the shit out of my own work, while still finding great authors around the place. Also a science research centre, maybe.

Either that, or buy a hollowed-out volcano and try to take over the world. I haven't decided yet.

Mr Flibble
11-29-2012, 02:20 AM
(3) We like to travel. We don't want a mansion or stupid cars; we'd like to see all the amazing places in the world. That's where I'd blow big chunks of change willy-nilly.

My mum always said she'd buy a boat and sail around the world. If the kids had left school by the time I won, I'd be pretty tempted myself.

Xelebes
11-29-2012, 03:24 AM
500 million estimated, no lump sum tax.

At 2% estimated annual disbursement rate.

Works out to 769 231 dollars every two weeks for the next two weeks or a lump sum of 152.4 million.

I would likely set up a trust fund with some (most) of the money and buy myself a nice pad with the rest.

DeleyanLee
11-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Housemate and I have an agreement that we'd split a jackpot like that. We've agreed that we'd take the cash payments, not the the annual payments.

I'd take the vast majority of it (like 95-97%) and invest it. The largest chunk would be in some forms of municipal bonds and a smaller chunk it things more risky.

I'd set up a multi-million dollar trust for both my kids. If my son's marriage doesn't work out (it's a little rocky right now), I'd make sure that my grandson is taken care of and his higher education is taken care of.

I'd pay off my parents' house and set up a fund for their, and my grandmother's, health care costs. (Yes, I still have a grandmother :D) I'd pay off my ex's overdue child-support because it stresses out the kids.

I have a short list of charities I'd give money to, but anonymously (that's what lawyers are for). I love my car and Housemate is going to deal with a new house, so I don't have to fuss about it. (Yes, we'd very likely keep living together--neither of us can stand living alone.) I'd quit my present peon job. Happily. And will probably volunteer regularly at one of those short-list charities so I have something to do with my day.

There's not many places I want to travel to see, but I'd be able to do that. I'd have lots of money to diddle away (probably more than I can in an average year, though it would be fun to see how that works). With all that invested, I'll be able to live very comfortably some portion of the interest for the rest of my life.

It would be pretty sweet. Just an hour to go before the drawing. :D

benbradley
11-29-2012, 08:44 AM
I just looked at the numbers and not only did I not win, the Quick Pick option didn't even match a single number. I'm filling out the scan form next time.

Or maybe there shouldn't be a next time. Three dollars is enough money to gamble this Millenium.

For the rest of you who have posted in this thread, you better check in, or you'll be suspected of winning! :D

Cliff Face
11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I was in the wrong country, unfortunately.

Probably still wouldn't have bought a ticket anyway. I'm not a gambler...

Down here, a multipick ticket can cost $10-20, and that's money better off in my stomach. Erm, that is, I need that money for groceries. :tongue

I used to buy lottery tickets, and never ever won more than about $5, which didn't even cover the cost of the ticket.

Don't worry - I'll make my half-a-billion-dollars from writing. ;)

jjdebenedictis
11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
**strolls in wearing sunglasses, smoking a cigar, and flinging fistfuls of money around**

Shadow_Ferret
11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I'd get an oil change. I haven't changed my oil since April.

Cliff Face
11-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Ferret, you know you could probably buy an oil company with the lottery winnings, right? Just putting it out there. ;)

sadron
11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Buy a house (with own design) for myself and another house for parents plus make trips over the world! :D

Ms_Sassypants
11-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Pay all my bills, start a business, use the money to help animals... and go on a looooong vacation.

Bliss!

MaryMumsy
11-29-2012, 09:37 PM
One of the winning tickets was from AZ, but it wasn't me. I won a whole whopping $4.

MM

heza
11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Whatcha gonna do with your $4?

I'd build a castle.

jvc
11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I'd get completely rat-arsed pissed out of my skull. :e2drunk:

archerjoe
11-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Where I used to work, a co-worker said if he won he'd buy the company and fire the boss for gross incompetence. Word got around to the boss and my co-worker was fired. I had to pick up his work until I could find a better job.

Gee, thanks, former co-worker with a big mouth. If I win, I'm buying the company you work for now and firing you, just for old-time's sake.

Maryn
11-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I didn't win (since I didn't play, otherwise I was a shoo-in), but I have a Master Plan which does not involve an underground facility from which I will take over the world.

I'll set up trust funds for our kids, make sure my siblings are okay, and buy a better-built house, but that still leaves me enough to fulfill my dream.

I'd need to do some serious research, but I'm going to set up a charitable foundation in my city which addresses a single problem, one of a scope that my money can solve, or make a huge, huge dent in it.

So maybe I get people here to never text or use cell phones while driving. Or end teenage pregnancy. Or stop the transmission of STDs. Or build affordable housing for the poor or the elderly. Or offer free job training tied to real jobs for urban teens and adults. Or get guns or maybe drugs off my streets. Or have free rides from bars and restaurants so nobody drives drunk.

Maryn, her mind boggling pleasantly

DeleyanLee
11-30-2012, 12:33 AM
No one won the biggie in PA, but there were a couple of $1 million winners.

I wasn't one of them, but I did get the money I spent for that ticket back. Broke even, which is better than usual.

The dream gets postponed yet again, eh? Heh.

Cliff Face
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
OMG, I knew I forgot something in my original post...

I'd go on one of those Virgin flights out into space! Hell yeah! Going into space has been a dream of mine since High School, and if I had half a billion, I'm sure a million to go into space would be just fine.

Something just for me. The rest can go to helping family and doing scientific research into global problems (as well as setting myself up in a decent house etc.).

*puts on space helmet*

Hiroko
11-30-2012, 01:50 AM
^A space cruise sounds awesome.

I'd do the usual stuff, you know. Invest a bunch; give a bunch to charities; buy my mom a house, my dad whatever else he wants, and my grandmother a '67 Cadillac; buy myself a few things; put money toward my writing career...