Ancient Archery Technique for Rapid Fire

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Okay, I'm very experienced in medieval and mounted combat. And I had read the ancient texts that indicated 'unbelievable' rates of fire from archers. It's not my specialty. But this video is just tons of awesome. It should go a long way in helping those who are utilizing archery in their historical/fantasy settings.

Prepare to be amazed.

http://youtu.be/2zGnxeSbb3g

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Romans were alleged to have constructed an archery equivalent of a gatling gun. The Mythbusters recreated one, and made it work.

The Mongols were probably the best combat archers the world has ever seen. They used highly sophisticated and powerful bows made of horn, firing from horseback.

caw

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
I must seek this man out - probably on some mountain somewhere - and ask him to be my sensei

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
There's another thread on this in P&CE. I'll say it again: the first thing I noticed was his bad posture.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
He's using 30 # and 35# draw weight bows. That's a really light draw. I'll believe it is a combat technique when someone does it with a 50#+ bow. (Even that's a bit light historically)

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Saw a history show other day where the Chinese created a crossbow in which you'd drop a dozen foot long dart like arrows in a chamber, quickly turn a crank and a projectile fired every few seconds. Used in a troop of archers to rain a cloud of arrows down on an invading enemy.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
There's an older show called Surviving History where they made a repeating crossbow. The creator was able to shoot like 12 arrows in 15 seconds.