livery question

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it might make more sense to post this here rather than the research- hope nobody minds. I've got a novel set in 1870's Austin, Texas. The issue I've got is the main character and his brother own a saloon and live above it. They also own two horses. I don't ever address where the horses are kept and for authenticity sake, this kind of bugs me. They just leave and are riding their horses. So, my question is, in towns/cities like Austin did liveries offer the kind of care where they could keep their horses there and have them looked after, long term? If not, were there other alternatives? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Justin

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe there were liveries, though none come to mind by name. You could check Austin Public Library's history resources or the Texas State Library's or even the UT Map Collection for historic buildings.

I will say this from personal observation, some of the historic dwellings I've seen in town have carriage houses. That's to say an outbuilding where the residents stored a carriage and stabled their horses. A servant would've taken care of the animals. This may not have been an option for your saloon keepers.

Now, this question got my wheels turning in my fever-addled brain and I turned up this about an 1870s-era opera-house/livery stable (when they said opera, think "opry" as in "I'm goin' to the opry and get good'n drunk." ) on Congress Ave that is due to be demolished. I think this is just the thing you spoke of:

http://www.austinpost.org/austin-history/historic-building-isnt-wrecking-ball-19th-century-structure

I live in Austin and actually stroll Congress pretty regularly.

Edit: here's the article in the Statesman: http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/19th-century-building-on-congress-avenue-likely-to/nRNBD/

Last edited:

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Prior to posting yesterday, I'd read about carriage houses but you're right, I don't think it would fit the bill for my saloon owners. Your link is perfect. That should work nicely. The saloon is actually located on the outer fringes of Guy Town, not all that far off of Congress, where the opera house/livery is located.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lovely 1873 map of Austin on the Wikipedia page, showing Long's Opera House on the corner of Ash & Congress. The corner of Pecan and Congress had the Iron Front saloon where Bob Olive shot it out with Cal Nutt over rustling in E Travis Co. It even shows the train arriving in town.

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a good map from that period with the street names but no names for building structures. Heading over to check it out now.

Thanks Michael, as well, for confirming the livery issue. I love this site more and more every day. Great community.

Arislan

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have thought there was a livery in every street when horses were the norm. In my current work I have it across the street from the saloon, cared for by a stablemaster, but people tie their horses to the post in front of it too.